Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil Help Please

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Petitepuppet, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

Hello.

Me and the lady I work for have just been to a womans house to collect 8 gerbils. 7 of them have been taken to the centre but I decided to take the oldest one home with me as she was on her own and the rest are in groups. I havnt owned gerbils in years, so I need advice.

Which is the best food to use?
    Do they need fresh fruit or veg?
    Can I use hay as bedding?

2. Petitepuppet

Anyone got any gerbil advice for me?

3. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

I just use ordinary gerbil musili for my 2, umm fresh fruit and veg, i tent not to give them any :/ only because it gives one of mine an upset tummy, but maybe abit of carrot it is okay :) I don't use hay as bedding i just use the shredded soft paper bedding, im sure others will be along with other advice :) x

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

They can eat fruit and veg but my girl seems to only have nibbles so only put in very small bits and take them out after a while to ensure they don't go off.

Gerbils can have small bits of protein to, like chicken, meal worms etc

I also use the safe rodent bedding for my girl.

And give her toilet rolls to chew on and shred for her bed too. She had a treat yesterday when i wrapped all my daughters birthday presents and she had the HUGE empty rolls LOL!!

Give them plenty of safe toys to chew on, and things to hide in and climb etc. I have all sorts in my girls cage: A ladder running along the top (horizontal) and mineral chews, a mineral mushroom toy/chewer, treat chews that hang on the cage, a big bageutte toy to hide and run along in, tunnels, wooden hideaways, arches, and tunnels etc etc

Also Gerbils LOVE sand baths and this cleans their fur and keeps them looking great! She loves it! I love watching her roll around in it! Bless! I keep my sand in her cage in a kitten ceramic food dish (non chewable and not moveable!)

I also feed my girl normal gerbil food from the pet shop, Gertie Gerbil, as she refuses much else!!

Errmm, thats i can think of right now!

5. Petitepuppet

Thanks guys, that helps alot.

Would she be ok to have some silk worms?

6. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

mine also LOVE the macdonalds drinks holders, you know the cardboard bases, they can demolish a 4 hole one in minutes!

7. Petitepuppet

Ok kool, I will need to remember and not throw them out then:p.

The woman they came from said she was sick of buyin new cages as they kept chewing out them. They had nothing in the cages apart from some food and that was it:eek:, no wonder they wanted out:(.

8. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

lol a gerbil owner whos research them properly knows they can chew threw plastic and metal! unless its the specail gerbilarium cages! x

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Hey, congrats on your new gerbil :)

My girl is a lone rescue as well.

I feed her the Gerri Gerbil food and used to feed her the Burgess Supagerbil, but the Gerri Gerbil has a lot more variety in it and it seems to be the one that most people agree with as the best one :)

I keep her in a glass aquarium with a wooden & metal mesh lid (home made) and she's just kept on woodshavings (NOT sawdust - it is too dusty!) and she's never had a problem with the woodshavings...some people say they give them respiratory problems but i've never seen Jill sneeze in the 6 months i've had her on them!

As for fresh fruit, they can have it but be careful with stuff like Cucumber and lettuce - it can give them the runs as it's very watery so should only be given in very small quantities. Jill never really gets much fresh fruit because on the occasions i've tried it with her, she hasn't even touched it!

Also tried giving her dried mealworms (doubt my mum would let me bring live ones into the house lol) and she wasn't interested, but never tried live ones with her!

Toilet roll tubes are always favourites as are the McDonalds drinks holder things - I once went into KFC and asked for a few for my gerbil :eek:

Sand baths are also great but Jill doesn't use hers much...and unless you have a safe shelf to put it on - only leave it in for short periods because otherwise it will get buried. Same goes for food bowls - you're best to scatter feed them (just sprinkling food in the tank) because otherwise a bowl will get buried and the food will be lost. Scatter feeding is more fun as it encourages them to scavenge and hunt, which is much more fun than a boring food bowl :D

Anything else you wanna know - just ask!

10. Baby British

Baby British PetForums VIP

Just to add that a lot of gerbie food contains sunflower seeds that are very high in fat. It's best to remove these and feed them sparingly as treats (same with mealworms if you choose to offer these)

Gerbils love to dig so give them plenty of substrate for them to tunnel in. I also give my lot a layer of hay as they love to chew this and it helps support the burrows they dig.

Congrats on your new addition btw :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice