Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil health advice - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Connie_rowe, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Connie_rowe

Connie_rowe PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have 3 girl gerbils.
    3 weeks ago one of them started to attack on of the others and I’ve had to separate them.
    The girl who was attached, had lots of bites in her bum and tail. They seemed to be healing fine but now the base of her tail is losing fur, has scabs and sometime fresh blood.
    She is current living with one other gerbil but no signs of fighting. Please help
    Fadel Tail.jpg

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I have no idea I'm afraid, sorry.

I would suggest phoning a vet for advice if you are still worried.

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Once gerbils have de-clanned are they able to be reintroduced?

5. ForestWomble

No, especially if blood has been drawn.

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

does that go for any clan or just their previous clan?

7. ForestWomble

You can try to introduce a lone gerbil to another, but it has to be done carefully using the split cage method.
    It's best to introduce one to one, introducing a lone gerbil to an already esteblished clan won't work.
    Doing the split cage method with two adults is difficult, maybe even impossible when it comes to females, it is better to introduce a pup (less than 10 weeks idealy) to an adult, from what I understand it isn't impossible doing this with females, but it is harder. (Bonding an adult male with a male pup is easiest as males are friendlier)

8. Susanna11

Susanna11 PetForums Junior

Gerbils that have fallen out with their clan can often still be introduced to others. If they were the victim in the declanning (i.e were being driven out) there's no reason they shouldn't be able to have a new companion. If a gerbil was the instigator I would be more careful, but even then, maybe they just had an issue with that one gerbil and will be fine with others. In the wild gerbils get some choice in who they live with, but in captivity it's pretty much whoever the breeder decided to put together, and there's no guarantee their personalities are going to mesh. If a gerbil has been the instigator in multiple declannings, it's probably best to keep them alone. There are some gerbils that don't get on with others. As ForestWomble says, introductions should usually only be one to one, and new gerbils shouldn't be introduced to established pairs or groups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice