Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil bald spot

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by JadeT98, Jun 27, 2020.

1. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

Hi my just over 3 month old gerbil has a small patch on his back for about a week now, his brother doesn’t have one although he did have a bald spot at his nose which I believe may be from nose rubbing (I’m treating that with a spray atm), he didn’t seem to be showing much of that though could this just be from trying to squeeze under things/ should I be worried ? I can’t tell if it’s getting better but he is fine apart from that as far as I can tell so any advice would be great thankyou
    (Please excuse his bed head)

Attached Files:

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Yes they do, but its on their stomach.

4. ForestWomble

Is the bald patch about half way down the body, slightly to the right of the spine?

Is he scratching a lot or do they groom each other a lot?

5. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

Yes it is, as far as I can tell they aren’t overly grooming each other and I’m not sure if hes overly itch although I have seen him itching and grooming himself at times (these are my first gerbils so I don’t really know what’s abnormal do think my other gerbil is possibly allergic to bedding though), I’m not sure if he can reach that spot himself though haven’t seen him doing anything there, I have started using the vetericyn vf hydrogel spray in his back too I don’t know if I should just stick with that

6. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

@ForestWomble i did also manage to touch it while he was eating (as they aren’t fully tame yet) and it still feels smooth

7. ForestWomble

Thank you.
    It could be that they have a (possibly mild) allergy to the bedding, I'd try changing the bedding and see if that helps.
    What are you using at the moment?
    I looked up the spray and I'd suggest carrying on with that until the fur grows back.

Please keep us updated.

8. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

At the minute I’m using hugro hemp bedding and the natural Carefresh (I have seen before about reactions to Carefresh so thinking this is probably the culprit) and I give them hay too, I did order some megazorb today though which should be arriving at the end of the week/start of next week to give that a try as I think it will be better for tunnelling too as the hemp etc isn’t holding anything, not sure whether to mix it with some hemp or just cut them out completely and use megazorb and hay on its own for a while but yeh thankyou for your help I’ll keep you posted on any progress

ForestWomble likes this.
  9. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

I only changed their bedding yesterday and so far they seem to be enjoying it + the new layout (there’s a pic of it before I put it back up on my table also the wheels on it lock so no chance of them falling off), but from what I can see with the spray the little patch seems to be starting to grow back x

Attached Files:

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. JadeT98

JadeT98 PetForums Newbie

@ForestWomble

11. ForestWomble

Hope the new bedding is OK for them and that's great news that the bald patch is healing :)

JadeT98 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice