Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gerbil acting strange

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Nal0114, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

Last night I noticed my gerbil acting incredibly strange.

He was good all day I gave then fresh food and water and he was alert and oriented.

Last night I checked in and he was very dazed. He had labored breathing he was laying in my hand as if he were dying. When he tried walking he was just wobbly about it.

So to take precaution I separated him from the other 2 boys because I didn't know and still am not sure what the problem was/is. After him spending the night alone with his own food and water when i checked on him he was right back to normal awake, alert, oriented.

Can anyone make sence of this. I tried thinking of every thing but nothing adds up. He isnt bullied out of eating and drinking because I watch them alot and they all always get water they have 2 water bottles and more food then what is probably necessary.

I do not give them anything else except carrots. And they havent had those in awhile.

Any ideas?

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Sounds like he might of had a stroke.

3. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

Really what would have caused that to happen, he isn't malnourished at all. He is perky today but you can tell still not the same as his typical self. Last night he was being forced out of the nest since he has had a chance to be alone for a night and come around a tad today they have allowed him to be in the nest again.

Aww that makes me sad :(

4. ForestWomble

Sadly strokes can just happen. It's got nothing to do with how well looked after/feed and watered they are.

5. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

Aww i hope he recovers :(

Thanks for the info!

I will research how I can help him.

6. ForestWomble

Your welcome.

If it helps, I had a hamster who had a stroke, she recovered fine, but then sadly had two close together and couldn't walk propaly so we had her put down :(
    She was an old girl though.

7. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

I hope he recovers. His one eye is alittle off (he mostly keep it squinted) and he still walks alittle wobbly still. But he did try using his wheel alittle.

He is only a few months old so idk what wouldve triggered a stroke. But I will help him with whatever he needs to get him better.

8. ForestWomble

I'd highly recommend taking him to the vet, the eye might be due to the (possible) stroke, then again it could be as simple as having something in his eye.
    Also the vet can explain how best to help him.

9. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

Something in his eye would not explain his lethargy, labored breathing, or wobbly walking. I did schedule him an appointment he just cant be seen for a few days

10. ForestWomble

Of course not, but I could only go by your reply and you'd only mentioned the wobble and the eye. So I assumed the other symptoms were no longer there and while I still thought stroke, I thought I'd mention the other possible cause for a squinting eye as he might have something in it.

From what you have now told me I wouldn't wait, I'd get him to a vet TODAY.

11. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

Update:

He had a seizure, that she said he recovered fine from. Evidently he was epileptic. He had a seizure this morning and did not recover from it.

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. ForestWomble

Thank you for the update. I am very sorry to hear about your little boy. :(

13. Nal0114

Nal0114 PetForums Junior

It makes me sad, but I am glad he wont suffer with a life of struggle and uncertainty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice