Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

George has gone in for his op

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bryxy, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bryxy

Bryxy PetForums Senior

I flew back from uni last night to be here incase anything happens, there's so many variables in all this I wouldn't forgive myself if I wasn't here if the worst happens.

I feel more positive about it though, he's so much healthier than last friday and the vet seemed happy that he is a much better candidate than before. He's having his spleen removed and they're doing an exploratory to check for signs of metastasis. Also he's having his gall bladder looked at because it's not quite working correctly on the scan. This all only happens if the X-Ray shows his lungs are clear though.

Praying everything is going to go well for him and he'll make it through, I'm so glad I know and have even worked under the people taking care of him so I know he's in excellent care. Going to call the vet at 2 to check up if we haven't heard anything by then. It's been such a tough decision but everyone has told me it's the right thing to do, I feel it's right but of course I will second guess myself. It's so much different when it's your own dog and you have all these different possibilities and outcomes to think through. The vet seemed to think because I'm a vet student I could handle the bluntness of the situation, but he's been my dog since I was 11 and this is my childish fear facing me. But I do feel better about it now than I did a week ago and he's been back to his usual self the past few days so thing's are looking up.
    Sorry this was so rambly but it helps to put my thoughts down.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Everything crossed here for good news later :) x

3. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you!

Big hugs from us all and please, keep us posted :)

Come on, George! We're counting on you!!!

I can only imagine how you feel right now. Stay strong xxx

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Sending all good wishes to George, hope all goes OK. Deep breaths.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Hope everything goes OK for George.

Please keep everyone posted. Try to relax today as best as you can.

6. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Best wishes to George, I bet its almost worse for you. :(

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Very much hoping all goes well xx.

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Lots of good wishes and thoughts that the operation goes well and he makes a good recovery.

9. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

oh dear you must be in a state worrying about George but hopefully it will all work out fine please keep us posted

10. Bryxy

Bryxy PetForums Senior

Just called the vet, they had an emergency before so they've only just started operating on George. He said "everything is going ok at the moment" and this means his X-Ray was clear as well so it's all good news so far. The vets going to call back when it's over.

Thank you everyone for the support I'm in such a state of worry! But everything seems positive at the moment so here's hoping it stays that way.

11. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Hope for a successful operation and a speedy recovery.

12. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

fingers crossed for everything.
    hope all goes ok.

13. Bryxy

Bryxy PetForums Senior

Just had a call from the vet. He's waking up now!
    There were three tumours in his spleen, one big and two small. The vets taken a picture of it to show me when we go for consult and pick up. No mention of any other problems, not even the gall bladder so that's good I think. And he's made it through which is the most important thing at this point so I'm very relieved!

14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Well its certainly is a relief he has made it through the op.

Thanks for the update.

15. Bryxy

Bryxy PetForums Senior

Got back from picking him up now, he's very active already. The vet said to let him do what he wants but he's on his bed now hopefully he'll relax a bit more.
    It's such a good thing he operated today because one of the tumours was ready to rupture in the next day or two and he would have bled out, when he showed it to me it looked ready to blow. Thankfully it's out of him now so there's no risk of that. All his other organs are in good shape. We'll know the results of whether or not it is the dreaded hemangiosarcoma in 5 days or so, I'm praying it was benign or even another form of cancer but unfortunately it's unlikely.

They did find something interesting though. George's heart is on the right side of his body instead of the left. He said it could be mass there but it's very unlikely since the mass would have to be exactly the same as lung tissue and big enough to displace his heart, so it looks like he was born with it which is very rare!

16. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I'm so glad everything went well. And that George is now back home with you.

Fingers crossed that the results come back in George's favour. Poor boy has been through so much.

Keep us posted on his progress. Big hugs to you both and speedy recovery for George :) xxx

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Pleased that George is home...random useless fact...I went to college with a girl with dextrocardia :D.

18. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Great to hear George is home & I hope he has a very speedy recovery :D x

19. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

great that he his home and feeling better

20. Bryxy

Bryxy PetForums Senior

He's doing lots better this morning :)
    Eating, drinking, walking around. Last night he had a seizure but he came out of it very well and we were suspecting he might have one from the way he was acting. He's taking Tramadol for pain relief so he's a bit drowsy, hopefully he won't need it for long though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice