Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

gentle leader?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ellie_w, Dec 2, 2007.

1. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

has anyone used the gentle leader on here for their dog?

i am currently using a "no-pull" harness for my pup without much success and i was wondering if i should try one of these instead

any advice much appreciated :)

2. jan-c

jan-c Guest

I use the Dogmatic for mine. They fit like a horses headcollar and don't ride over their eyes. Have tried the rest and found these to be the best, a little more expensive but well worth it.:eek:

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i need something like that, do they work,:):)

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I also use Dogmatic head collars and they are the best thing I have ever invested in - well worth the extra few pounds to get a good one :)

5. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

i'll have a look for the dogmatic collar thanks guys :)

6. Diane

Diane PetForums Newbie

My dog pulled a lot and I tried a Halti head collar which I think is the same as a gentle leader. I can only talk about my own experience but I have to say I was amazed and my dog walked virtually straight away without pulling and even my daughter could safely take her for a walk. Can't recommend them highly enough although I understand that they don't suit everyone. Some dogs may need to be introduced to them very slowly e.g. by having them on around the house or building up an association with the head collar and a reward.

Diane
    AnimalLoversWeb.com

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Please remember that most head collars are easily removed by a clever dog. Treat the cause not the symptom, and pulling is easily corrected by attending a dog training class. I know that we all lead busy lives, but both owner and dog will benefit both socially and your dog will learn good manners.

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i agree there nina people put these things on for a quick fix for the dog
    halti's if not used right can hurt the dogs neck, and peeps tend to put the head round then it puts strain on the neck.

TRAIN THE DOG

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

My dog is trained - I use a halti as hes massive and pulled like a mad man - this doesnt hurt him - it makes life better for the both of us - happy dog happy owner - I didnt buy one as a quick fix - I do agree its not a quick fix but if all other training has been tried then why not try this?
    Please dont make out that people who use them do it for a quick fix - I for 1 dont. I have better control over my dog - isnt that a good thing??????

10. carol

carol PetForums VIP

i have strong dogs as well and have never used them i can also walk them all 6 at the same time
    most peeps do use them for a quick fix to the prob

11. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

if i do get one of the halti type collars it will only be used in conjunction with proper training - we are booked into a training class too

shawnee is a malamute and she seems to enjoy the sensation of pulling at her harness - a breed trait maybe?? and i just dont want her to get into the habit of doing this

12. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Good luck Ellie - Used correctly they are a great invension.

13. carol

carol PetForums VIP

take lots of tasty treat
    i do my own if you want it

liver cooked in hot water with garlic
    let cool cut up into small pieces
    then in the oven on slow and low until hard and dry
    never meet a dog that dont love them.
    and i do lots at once and freeze it.

14. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

The thing i used to do if i was going to use a halti was use a double lead, which has two ends to it and clip one on the halti and one of the dogs normal collar because then the dog knows it has the halti on so it may not pull so much but then the lead can relax and prevent anything happening. plus if the dog is smart like nina pointed out the dog still can't get away from you.

15. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

I too use a double ended lead and clip to a normal collar too, I thought that was how all people did it!!

16. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

so did i but i see people everyday just with the lead clipped to the halti

17. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I hope that I did not cause offence with my post on haltis.

I used one on my dog whilst he was in training. He had a terrible aversion to our postman, and one morning he grabbed the back wheel of the posties bike and the poor man shot over the handle bars. German Shepherds are extremely strong, so I needed a training aid for a short time.

However, Carol is right when she stated that they can harm your dog. Zak (my GSD), actually snapped his head back pulling out of the halti and his neck was sore for several days. We continued our training however, and he has walked beautifully for the last 12 years.

As with ALL behaviour problems, it IS far better to treat the CAUSE and not the symptom.

18. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I use the halti head collar that clips on the halti itself and on the dogs collar, one of my dogs is terrible for pulling and always has been since a pup, no matter what i did to try stop her pulling it didnt work, she would stop pulling for a few seconds when i told her and then she would go into full scale pulling mode.
    thats when i decided to get the halti and i can say that the halti is the best thing ive invested in, she stopped pulling 5 minutes into her walks and has walked perfect beside me with the halti on ever since, my walking time with her is now enjoyable, i can look forward to walking with her instead of dreading the getting dragged by her.

i did try the *stop pulling*body harness once but that did nothing except make her armpits red raw :eek:.

19. ellie_w

ellie_w PetForums Member

well i have bought a halti for her today - i have put it on her a few times just for a few minutes each just so she can get used to the feel of it - the big test will be walk time tomorrow :p

20. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

u will see a difference :) good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice