Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

gentle leader

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by canvey, Jul 11, 2009.

1. canvey

canvey PetForums Member

Have been trying to walk barney to heal which seems like for ever, but to no avail.
    He pulls like mad, have tried the stop start change direction and telling him goodboy when he is walking correctley but doesn't last.
    I am now not enjoying the walks as at the end of it my hand just hurts.
    What do you think of a gentle leader. Don't really like the look of them but was wondering if to try one.
    My dog Is a miniture australian labradoodle and he is 7 months old.

My Pics 069.jpg

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

He's cute!

I've got a crossbreed too - you can't beat 'em :D

The thing with the "stop/start" technique is you have to stick at it and be COMPLETELY consistent. If you expect quick results you'll be disappointed.

The Gentle Leader is one of many, many similar "gadgets" and they are all slightly different but do basically the same job. It's a matter of finding the one that suits you and your dog.

As long as you introduce it gradually, he shouldn't take too long to get used to it.

The good thing about them is that you can use them in conjunction with "normal" lead training - if you've got time to do some training, take the dog out on a normal collar and do some "stop/start" LLW work, but if you're in a hurry and unable to take the time for training, pop the Gentle Leader on.

It means they don't get confused with whether they are allowed to pull or not.

3. canvey

canvey PetForums Member

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I used a Gencon which is similar to the gentle leader I found it easier to put on plus you can take it off the nose as it will work a bit like a slip lead. I also use to have a bit of liver cake in my hand so when he was walking to heel I would reward. It took a bit of time plus the treats but we got there. He now walks to heel wearing just a collar and lead. So don't give up.

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I am having the same problem with my 5 month old gsd, he walks like a dream when i do the stop start on our own, but if my OH and the other dog walk with us he is a nightmare and just pulls continuously!! I am going to give him another month and if things don't improve use my gentle leader.
    I have used a gentle leader in the past with Matrix just during the pulling phase and he no longer needs one and i used one on my last gsd and he was fab on one, most of the time he walked ok on just a collar and lead but i lost my nerve one day when i was walking both my previous dogs together (a gsd and a labxgsd) they suddenly a squirrel ran across the road and believe me if there had been a car coming all 3 of us would have been killed!!!! So hence the use of the gentle leaders on them from that day forward not for pulling as such but just for that extra bit of control if needed!!! ;);););)

I am sure that squirrel must have found the whole situation quite hilarious!!

6. canvey

canvey PetForums Member

What is a Gencon and where would i get one of them
    My Pics 068.jpg

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

8. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

You can buy the Gencon on line or down load an order form just google ( gencon all-in-1 or gencon head collars ) I am sure you will find it.

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Whats the difference with the canny collar we tried the halti and gentle leader on one of ours he hated it,we didnt give it long enough i suppose but he wouldnt come back to us after the walk as he knew it would be going back on, he then stopped coming to us during the walk just incase we were going to put it on and i wasnt prepared to spoil all the recall work we had done just to stop him pulling as he was off lead more than on it so more important that he came back when told. So for this reason i cant say whether they work or not as i didnt give them a good enough trial.

10. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I use a Canny Collar too.

The main difference is that rather than attaching the lead under the chin, with the CC the lead is attached at the back of the neck like a normal collar. Consequently the dog's head is not pulled sideways and the collar is less likely to go near the eyes.

However, having tried several "headcollar" types of collar, I find that a dog finds it easier to pull a little bit with the CC. I still prefer it - my dog isn't large or a determined puller but if I had a big, strong dog I'd probably try something else.

The "Dogmatic" is meant to be very good - doesn't ride into the eyes of even short-faced dogs, apparently.

11. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

my lab/dalmatian (Brody) is a puller he is now 18mnths old and still pulls (although it did take 3yrs for our other dog to stop pulling)

we started using a halti which worked great for our other dog but it cut Brody's nose so after a few weeks of being pulled along i have now bought a halti harness with the training lead.

this is a bit better but it's not great at pulling him round without my full weight to tug him back! he is 32kg though!

if anyone else has any other suggestions that dont go over the nose much appriciated but this is the best so far!

12. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

I used a canny collar for my collie but she puts her head down and goes for it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have bought a 1/2 check collar - she stills pulls but does not stop every few mins to claw at the nose piece which she did with the cc. Its still not a perfect solution and my back is certainly playing up with her pulling but i don't know what else to do. Have also tried all the other recommended ways. I may try a halti that goes from the side.

13. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

I also use a canny collar, doesnt seem to stop the pulling much through, but i feel i am able to control him better with it, also tried halti, i only tend to use it for the start of the walk, as after he has had a good runaround he does not tend to pull as much for the walk back home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice