Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Genie

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by rolliekins, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rolliekins

rolliekins PetForums Junior

Can anyone help me. I have a girl of 2 who is pregnant. I took her on thinking she had been 'done' but sadly not. Don't worry she will be as soon as. She is getting big and showing all the signs and when she is lying on her side you can see (what I presume is) kitten movement. This is the but I don't understand... Mr Tom Cat from near us has suddenly started yowling and trying to get her. She isn't too interested and gives him a slap. Can this happen? Is he just sex mad? She is indoors now and will stay there for the duration.
    Any help would be good

Rolliekins

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

I don't know why he is interested, i thought that once a queen is pregnant then she went of heat. I know that if she is just pregnant then she can fall again but i think that there is a time line. I'm baffled.

xx

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am not sure why they do it but i have a local stray tom yowling at my window every day because i have un dressed cats that i have taken in. I have nicknamed him chancer i will be getting him speyed soon too (borrowing a trap of a cat rescue). I do know that tom cats try and force the female back into heat by killing kittens sometimes

4. rolliekins

Thanks people! I have found out where he comes from today so lets hope he will be kept in and then go to the vets. I will let you know how Genie gets on with the kits and if I need any more help I will call you guys first. Cheers

5. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

When is Genie due? No idea about the tom, the tom cat that got mine pregnant came back for 2 weeks after but havent seem him since, also have no idea where he came from in the first place !

6. rolliekins

To be honest I don't know. She is getting pretty fat and wont leave me alone. As I said before I can see the kits moving about inside her. If it wasn't for that and the weight gain and the pinking up, I would think she was on heat. I really have no idea.

7. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

if kittens are moving around she has to be in her last couple of weeks, mines got 2 weeks left, and its only last couple of days ive seen kittens moving properly.

8. rolliekins

I've been feeling them for over a week. Oh hells bells

9. rolliekins

She is very vocal now and the tom cat who is bothering her is just as bad. She keeps trying to carry Sammy about who is twice her size. She's not happy about being inside because Sammy is outside and she doesn't want to be by herself. Just sit and wait I guess.

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

A sudden upsurge of maternal insitinct is the most reliable indication that the birth is imminent - like today. What she wants to do, is to carry the "kitten" off to her nest. Keep her in! If you don't, she will hav e the kittens soemwhere outside and then you really will be panicking, believe me!

As for the tom cat, they do seem to get sexually interested shortly before the girl gives birth, I guess it's the smell.

I'd put money on there being kittens this afternoon.

Liz

11. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i agree with liz. if she is overly maternal it usually means kittens will arrive a day or 2 after it starts

12. ruthmcnally

Any sign of the kittens yet, mine has just had her milk come in and she is very vocal and very agitated. I have read that they sound like they are going in heat when the kitties start to move into place.

Keep us posted

xx

13. rolliekins

No kits yet. She's getting a bit grumpy and is still trying to drag Sammy about the bedroom. She is finding it hard to settle.

14. ruthmcnally

Not long then mine is very grumpy she bit me but i need to check that her bits are clean, but i haven't been able to do this the last couple of days.. Fingers crossed that it won't be long

don't forget the camera

ruth
    xx:001_tt2:

15. rolliekins

She has made a nest and, shall we say, emptied her system. Gone to litter tray 8 times this morning half of which didn't come to anything. Little cat boobs are swollen and she can't stand up for long. I think we are imminent. Wish me kitties.

16. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

fingers crossed for you

17. ruthmcnally

Keeping my finger cross good luck get the camera ready

xx

18. rolliekins

I'm pretty sure her waters have just broken!

19. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

How exciting! Just the distraction I need to take my mind off Tiffany. Any news yet? Can't wait for piccies, good luck

20. ruthmcnally

everybody is having their kitties and mine won't come, should,t be long. Did you notice when her milk came in. As poppy's came in 3 days ago and no sign.

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice