Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Genetics and Breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by carly87, Jan 25, 2012.

1. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

It happens to help I put my brain into gear as she isn't a ticked tabby but a spotted hence why I couldn't find any ticked tabbies when I traced her back to foundation cats on pawpeds.

Apologies for my stupidity so definitely unlikely that she will have ticked tabbies in the litter

#221 lillytheunicorn, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Emily fielding

Emily fielding PetForums Newbie

Can someone on here tell me if my cat is a Maine coon mix?

Attached Files:

lillytheunicorn likes this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The only way genetics can help you decide if your girl is a Maine Coon is if she has either of the faulty genes which are found exclusively in Maine Coons. You must hope she does not because she would have either HCM or be a carrier or affected by Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

So the mating between spotted tortie tabby (carrying dilute) and blue resulted in two black (probably) females, two red boys, a black and white female and a tortie tabby girl in the litter (no dilutes ). The Torbie pattern is quite difficult to make out at the moment hopefully by 4 weeks it will easier although mummy isn't the most obvious spotted tabby in the world (hence my confusion) although she does have good leg bars and facial markings

#224 lillytheunicorn, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    QOTN and OrientalSlave like this.
  5. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

Hello ladies
    I would appreciate if someone could point out the correct place to look for some info. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

Why it is not recommended to breed white cat with bicolour? I have found that white could carry harmful traits for bicolour but I think I have looked everywhere on the net and can't find any more info except this statement.

I have read about whites masking bicolours so there must have been white+bicolour mating underneath..

6. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

I have bought Robinsons Genetics for cat breeders and veterinarians.. Slowly going through.. I find it interesting book, however.. lots of information to remember and understand.
    And still can't find anything about white and bicolour breeding..
    please please can someone enlighten me

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

White cats have a copy of the dominant white gene. Gccf bans white to white matings as if the cat gets two copies it's more likely to be deaf.

Bicolors have one or two copies of the White spotting gene, 2 copies tends to lead to more white.

Vantuuz likes this.
  8. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

Breeding policy for exotic shorthair says:

1. It is recommended that cats which carry a trait harmful to another breed programme should not be used in a programme other than that into which they were born, eg. it is not desirable to use a White in a Bi-Colour breeding programme.
    This is what is confusing me and I can't get my head around it.

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Possibly they think that cats with both genes are more likely to be deaf?

10. Vantuuz

Vantuuz PetForums Member

I am under impression that deafness is connected with W gene where bicolours have S..
    I had a thought that it might be this however can't find info where it would be mentioned that S gene doesn't "go well" with W..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice