Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

General Help with New Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kerrienunn7, May 10, 2010.

1. kerrienunn7

kerrienunn7 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I'm getting a new kitten on Friday, he will be 8 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone knew of a website or "checklist" of things that I need to do in the early stages of his life with me before he becomes more adult and eventually starts going out and is in a proper routine.

I basically need to know things like:
    - how often should i feed him?
    - I've heard that you shouldn't leave their food out all the time as they can overeat, is this true?
    - How often should I give him cat milk?
    - What ratio kitten dry/wet food should I give him? I was thinking of just doing dry in the morning and then wet in the evening, so that is classed as his "big" meal and so when I come to start letting him outside during the day in however many months, he will always come home for dinner?
    - On his first day, should i just leave him to it and let him come to me and explore? A few people have said just keep them and their bits (litter tray, food, toys, bed) in one room at first while they settle? But I don't want to shut him out so he thinks he is banished but I also don't want to scare him.

I was just hoping for a kind of guideline/"to do" type list as I've only ever had a cat from an older age before. Or is it more just instinct, see what happens and when he wants to eat etc and base it on that?

Thanks

2. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I would get a good book (i did) and use that along with your instincts. I got one called kittens for dummies and it was good - if not a bit americanised...

What do you plan to feed him?

Good luck!

3. kerrienunn7

I've bought sainsburys own "Complete Kitten Food" for the dry stuff, and the Kitten Variety Pouch box for the wet. I will always get the "complete" dry foods as from what I've heard these have everything a kitten/cat needs in it and shouldn't need anything else like wet food to go with it. But I just thought he might like a 100% dry meal in the morning, and a 70/30 ratio of dry/wet food in the evening?

4. The Twins

Personally, I think dry is the worst thing you can give them and especially to a young kitty... It should be 100% wet if possible and if you must feed dry then i'd go for 90/10 wet/dry.

Dry is no more 'complete' than a complete wet food - and a good quality high meat content wet food should contain far less carbs/rubbish/fillers than a dry food does.

Kitten food is a gimic and you can feed any type of cat food - as long as the fat% is correct.

And to be honest, its not just about what they might like to eat, its more about giving them what is best for them and mimicing what they'd eat in the wild... this is why i choose to feed a raw diet. But a wet commercial diet would still be better than dry. And it is also a myth that dry is better for their teeth - the kibble is too small to be crunched and is swallowed whole and what little crunched, can 'gather' round their teeth and add to teeth problems NOT aid healthy teeth...

What is the meat content of the wet food you bought and what is the ingredients listing on both the dry and the wet?

5. kerrienunn7

Ok, so I'd be better off doing a 100% wet diet, and just continue this through with no change as they grow up, except for quantity?

This is what the ingredients say on the website:
    With Chicken in jelly: Meat & Animal derivatives (Chicken min 4%), Oils & Fats, Minerals, Various Sugars, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Coloured with EC Additives.

With Salmon in Jelly: Meat & Animal derivatives, Fish & Fish Derivatives (Salmon min 4%), Oils & Fats, Minerals, Various Sugars, Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Coloured with EC Additives.

Which looks pretty similar to the other makes like Felix and Whiskas.

6. The Twins

Hobbs2004 is the best person to ask re wet food - i wouldnt touch felix or whiskas with a barge pole and this doesnt look much better to be honest... animal derivatives can mean beaks/feet etc and thats not pleasant. And it doesnt state total meat % content - just the 'flavour' content of 4%. PM hobbs2004 and ask her or look at some of the other posts on here as she has put a list on one recently as to good wet foods...

7. The Twins

Here you go...

There are however other foods that you can try your cat on:
    - Bozita - 97% meat content and available to order online from seapets, e and r, and zooplus
    - Purely, as Dally Banjo has pointed out, has got a meat content of 50% I believe and is available from Pets at home.
    - Natures Menu has a 70% meat content, and is available from Pets at home too as well as other places.
    - Feline Fayre is often fed by people here - the black pouches are complete- available in Asda, Morrisons etc
    - HiLife - also has a good meat content - varies from 45% to 70% depending on type.
    - Tesco also do a wet food that has a high meat content - I believe it is called Tesco Premium

If your cat eats pate, then you could try these:
    - Pet's Kitchen - 90% meat content - available from them directly: Pets Kitchen - Experts in natural pet food, developed by Joe Inglis TV Vet
    - Lily's Kitchen - 65% organic meat - available from them directly: Lily's Kitchen • Organic Dog Food, Organic Cat Food • Natural Complete Pet Food • Certified Holistic, Ethically produced • Natural dog food, Grain free cat food.
    -Grau - 89% meat content - available from zooplus
    - Herrmanns - 97% organic meat - available at zooplus but pricey but only need 1 pouch per day
    - Ziwi Peak - new to the UK market - available from the bern per food website - based on the raw feeding principle: http://www.bernpetfoods.co.uk/acatal...t_Cuisine.html

8. kerrienunn7

Ok excellent, thank you so much for all your help

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! And congrats on getting a kitten! With all the kittens that are currently being talked about on the forum, i am getting kind of kitten broody :eek:

I can only echo what The Twins has already been discussing with you in terms of feeding. I am not a fan of dry cat food - full of carbs, very calorific, not really better for their teeth than other cat food, not any more convenient than wet food as you really shouldn't free feed a cat (i.e. have food down all the time), and not any more complete than complete wet (though dry food tends to contain more taurine than wet food). Cats are also not natural drinkers, and dry food doesn't contain enough moisture and may lead to problems with cystitis in some cats.

At the end of the day, it is about personal preference and what works for me might not work for you. But I think that whatever you feed should be an informed choice, not one dictated by supermarkets and advertising.

The wet food ingredients you have just listed don't sound any better than whiskas and co, no! Mind saying what they are? There are loads of better, but still affordable wet cat foods out there that may be a good alternative for your cat. :thumbup:

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ooh you found the list Zoe :thumbup:

11. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

Make sure you pop a piccie of the kitties up for us won't you :)

I feed ours Tesco's Just Nature trays which are 60% and only 22p each (not the pouches though as they don't have half as much meat in them).

12. kerrienunn7

They are both sainsburys own make! They only seem to sell the highly advertised, but low meat content tins.

I have a tesco near me but I just looked on their website and their "premium" cat food is the same as the sainsburys one I mentioned, 4% minimum etc. So I'm hoping to try pets at home or a local pet shop near me called Dabners.

Thanks Kiona, I have a tesco express up the road from me so might give that a go if they have it!!

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hmm, maybe the Tesco one was Luxury. Next time you pop in just have a look around and see what you can find.

The tesco just nature trays contain rice - some cats are iffy when it comes to tolerating carbs. Depends on how much rice is in it - otherwise it is just a cheap filler.

Have a nose around your local petshop and p@h - any questions, just holler!

14. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

First of all, congrats on getting a kitten - we need pics, and loads of them! :)
    The only decent cat food you can get in Sainsbury's is HiLife - try the chicken pouches, they're not too expensive (£5.40 for 12 pouches, 100 grams each) and they're 70% meat. Bozita is a good choice with 93% meat content, but you can only buy it online, at Pet Supplies, Aquariums and Pond Supplies, Dog Food & Pet Food Online or Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus.
    The Tesco high meat content ones are Tesco Luxury (around 50% meat and a reasonable price tag).

15. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

16. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

The Tesco just nature has 1% rice in it yes.

As to the other one, it's the LUXURY or finest you want, not the premium.

hth :)

17. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Thanks Kiona - 1% rice is not too bad. What else is in there?

And yes, it is the Tesco Luxury, not the premium that has got the higher meat content - how confusing is that. Semantically i would say that the premium one implies a better product than luxury :eek: Heyho, I have changed it in the original list.

Thank you!

18. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

Just wanted to add that Tesco do 2 high meat content ranges, as previously stated. However, the Luxury range is a lot cheaper than the Tesco Finest range. Just in case cost is a consideration!

19. Kiona

Kiona PetForums Member

will list it tomorrow, need to buy more.

20. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

You will probably need to restrict the cat to certain areas.
    Mine is pretty settled after only a week, but the lounge seems to drive her insane. I already decided that I could live with other wrecked things, but not really my almost brand new sofa :p
    She cannot seem to stop herself from scratching it to bits, which is understandable, I like it too. I have quite a nice sized house, and she has plenty of other rooms to get up to no good in.
    I did let her in my room from the start, but this soon became a bad idea. As she gets older I will give her much more freedom but she is only 11 weeks old
    I restrict mine to hallway, stairs, landing and bathroom at night, and close all other doors. She has her bed, toys, litter, and food and if she wants to run around with a ball she can

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice