Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

General feeding, weight help - newbie

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LittlePancakeTheExotic, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LittlePancakeTheExotic

LittlePancakeTheExotic http://jogmydog.co.uk/

Little guidance from all you seasoned cat keepers out there....

Ok so never had cats before, live in a relatively small cottage with a large back garden with a six foot fence and five hens.

I paid full wack for my Exotic with the intention of him being a house cat (we live on the canal, near a railway track with a number of boaters who have got massive, and I mean massive dogs).

He was fed dry food and felix wet with breeder. Since coming to me he's had raw: turkey, lamb, rabbit, beef with some kidney/heart.

This has been topped with Felini Complete in the amounts specified (tho I have not been as exact with the heart/kidney amounts as I should).

No problems up till Mon when he threw up a few hours after dinner. Whole chunks and bile. Nothing till again this morning, complete chunks.

Vet says theres nothing wrong...

Ok so my questions (and sorry this is long but he's my little man):

1) is what i'm feeding him ok? Should i mix a bit of hilife, feline fayre, bozita, animoda carny etc etc in with it as one day someone will come over to feed him when i am on holiday and it could problematic if he only eats one thing....

2) should i be concerned about the vomiting? The vets attitude stunk in my opinion and when they are like that i tend not to trust what hey say

3) can the felv virus be brought in in your shoes? Vet says no, want to double check

4) my kitten is 4.5 mths and weighs 2.2kgs. Does this sound about right?

5) i have three or four play sessions of ten min each per day. Is this enough? Should i let him outside on a leash or will it confuse him and make him meow at the door as the breeder says?

Sorry for the length but want to get it all straight in my mind as I'm a bit of a worry wort. Oh I should add re food that money is not an issue as such, just want him to be healthy.

2. Curiosity101

Curiosity101 PetForums Newbie

I can't answer all your questions as I don't know enough to answer them all, but one thing you didn't mention was how long you spent adjusting him to the raw diet?

Theoretically plenty of cats live on a raw diet with no canned food so you shouldn't need to mix anything with it. But that doesn't mean to say he is actually completely fine on a raw diet.

I think a rough guide is 1lb per month so 2.2 kilos sounds fine but it's dependant on the breed of cat and their build. I have two standard short hair moggies both from the same litter and both neutered/spayed. They are also 4.5 months, the girl is is 1.9kg and the boy is 2.3kg

I reckon it sounds like you're playing with him plenty, but whilever he wants to play it is fine to play within reason. Ours aren't allowed out for 2 reasons, we're waiting for their 6month FIV tests and we want them to remain house cats if possible. They play with eachother alot (hence why we got the two) and we leave lots of toys out for them to amuse themselves aswell. Does he have access to toys other than when you play with him?

3. LittlePancakeTheExotic

Sorry I didn't really complete post properly...

I mention the garden and hens because though it is big I cant let him out as he'll no doubt try to chase them. I did take him out for a few supervised trips to our vege patch which he loved and ran round loads but i stopped doing that on the advice of the breeder as he spent the whole day crying at the back door. I'm not sure he's getting enough play/exercise though so it worries me.

We don't have room for a full height cat centre, only getting one four/five feet high so thats another problem I think...

Thanks for your comment re the weight, I wont worry about tat bit anymore!

4. Curiosity101

I don't know if you missed the bit about how long you spent switching him over onto a raw diet. But it could be an important bit of information.

5. LittlePancakeTheExotic

Oh and I put him on the raw from day one as he hated the felix wet though i had bought a whole pack. He's had three weeks of raw with no issues till Mon when he threw up the first time. Weird...maybe he's become allergic to one of the meats?

6. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Our three eat mostly chunks with felini and it's been great for their condition. We deliberately feed some prepared raw and some cooked commercial wet food too, partly for variety and partly for the scenario you mentioned.

One of ours vomits copiously if we make his meat chunks too small. We have to watch that he can't swallow them whole. It's best for his teeth anyway to have a good chew. You might want to make the chunks bigger and see if this helps.

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

In terms of weight, 2.2 KG is what I'd expect a 21 week old to weigh, so he's doing just fine. That being said, my last litter were monsters, with one of them almost that weight at 13 weeks! But that really isn't the norm for the Persian/zotty type cats.

Don't concern yourself with a higher scratching post. Zotties and Persians are very, very clumsy, especially the kittens, and will regularly fall off things. At least with a low one, he'll have a shorter distance to fall.

Re taking him out, kittens will cry at any closed door if they know there's fun on the other side of it. I see no harm in taking him out on a lead and secure harness such as a Mynwood or Pupya if he enjoys it. It adds variety to his environment and that's never a bad thing.

As for the play sessions, no, probably not long enough for a single kitten as they have sooooo much energy. Have you thought of getting him a playmate?

8. LittlePancakeTheExotic

Re playmate, our house is pretty small and the bf kids are over every other weekend and the daughter is allergic to cats (we found out after i got him). So its full on trying to keep them separate tbh. In an ideal world i would have two (or ten, and a dog!) but in our current place i doubt the bf would allow it re the daughter.

Thanks for advice though. Concerned, however, as i gave him a tiny portion of hills science with raw chunks mixed in, a tiny amount as 6am. He slept for an hour or so before playing but just threw up again! I'm beside myself as somehow i thought if you went thru a "proper" breeder you wouldnt have thse health issues so eary on :(

9. jasminex

jasminex PetForums Senior

Hi, welcome Exotic owner :D Not too many of us about!

:lol: Ha ha don't I know it! It took Humph about a week to learn how to get off the top platform of his tree unaided (I had to provide my shoulders as a lift before that...) I thought maybe it was due to his broken leg but glad to know it's not just him...

I've taken my kitten out on a harness in the garden a few times - he doesn't really like it (don't know if it's the outdoors or the harness) and after about 10 mins goes back into the kitchen and sits there looking out the door! Despite this he's still always behind the front door when I open it, trying to squeeze through the gap ;) Think it just depends on the kitten but I can't see that more exercise would be a bad thing.

Re feeding, I feed my boy mainly wet with some occasional premade raw and some chunks of raw when I remember to buy it, he loves chewing on wings or halved quail, whole chicken hearts and big chunks of beef/lamb (I usually cut whole raw into strips around finger length). I think exotics (like persians) can suffer more from dental problems due to their small mouths so getting some chewing in there is good.

#9 jasminex, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Much as buying through a reputable breeder is good - we can't be miracle workers - if your cat has a problem with a particular protein it isn't spottable at birth, or able to be bred out. It's not possible to cover for all eventualities. None of my kittens are fed dry,if an owner decided to feed dry and then the kitten gets dire-rear I don't feel that is my problem, nor would I feel that being sensitive to a particular protein my fault. One of my kittens throws up after Bozita tetra packs - I just informed her new mum not to feed it, it's not a health issue, it's an intolerance.

Have you considered that he may be eating too quickly and too much at once? Try smaller portions and try to watch to see if he is gulping it. YOu may need to make sure the pieces are bigger so he chews rather than swallows.

If it possible he has eaten something he shouldn't - like a piece of string or thread or the such like? If not take him back to boiled chicken and broth and see how that goes. ANd then if he is okay on that, gradually reintroduce the foods you want him to eat. If he is then sick you know what to avoid.

11. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Does he throw up on raw minces too? I had a couple that chucked up when I first transitioned them to raw. I solved the problem by adding a lot of water to the raw mix to make it into a slurrey. This meant that they got a lot of liquid with each mouthful, and this having food in smaller portions proportionally seemed to suit their tums better. A few months in, and I now only add water for preference, as I like them to be well hydrated.

As Spid says, he may be eating too fast, or as someone else says, may not be chewing the chunks. Does he chuck up when there's no raw in the mix?

12. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

As a breeder myself, can I just say what a very disappointing comment to read. I gather from your posts on this thread that the kitten came to you having been fed a particular diet by the breeder and there were no problems whatsoever initially. You've had the kitten at least three weeks (judging by one of yours posts) changed his diet and only now is there slight cause for concern as he's vomited a couple of times.

13. LittlePancakeTheExotic

I'm not blaming the breeder, I've just had a lot of loved pets (dogs and hens) die from illness at young ages, one last week, so I'm a bit tender as I feel it was probably my fault buying them cheap. I'm just paranoid and I know you cant cover for every eventuality but it still doesn't make me worried. The breeder was and is excellent, not really the point of my post but by the by :)

Yes there aren't many of us Exotic owners on here so glad to have found one or two of you on here!

He does eat pretty fast and I have been making the pieces small as he struggles to chew but that sounds like it is a good thing! I'll try the boiled chicken and broth thing though and see how he gets on. Hopefully it's just a bit of a phase and nothing I need to be worried out.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

14. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

If he eats fast, go for the mince and extra water option. Are you limiting his food intake or does he have food down all the time? Giving them what they see as an endless supply makes them more sedate eaters in my experience.

15. Shadow And Lightning

Shadow And Lightning PetForums VIP

I don't think it matters how much you pay or where they come from etc, if they are sick they will be sick regardless of whether they was free, a moggy, a predigree whatever, it doesn't mean they was bred badly.

I know someones whos moggy died age 22 she paid nothing for him, compared to someone else I know whos ragdoll died age 2, from a illness that was nowhere in his pedigree background.

so please don't think just because hes a pedigree that he wont get ill, wont be allergic to stuff and wont be affected by food changes or that he wont simply have off days

16. LittlePancakeTheExotic

Haha I know, that's what my mum just said, they "adopted" a cat from a friend three years ago, a BSH who is an indoor/outdoor cat fed std Tesco wet food and is 23 years old this year and hasn't been to the vets in years and is fit as a fiddle! Luck isn't it.

I have an auto feeder from Amazon, so I usually feed him at 530am (get up esp early to cater to him:rolleyes:) then put first feed to open three hours later, then the next one three hours after that. By that time bf is home and can feed more if required and he gets dinner around 6pm and again before bed at 10pm if he wants (though to be honest he aint a big eater, i would say he does 175g on average a day, since throwing up episodes started i would say more like 120g).

17. Curiosity101

So is the raw food sat at room temperature all day? I was sure everything I'd read said not to do that, but I could be wrong.

#17 Curiosity101, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  18. LittlePancakeTheExotic

Two meals are sat out but in a auto timer with an ice pack under them....I thought that would be ok but maybe not?

19. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

If the meat comes out of the fridge and is put in a timer with an ice-pack, I reckon you will be ok. In any case, if the meat smells funky at all, most cats will not eat it, so no ham done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice