General Election 8th June 2017

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stockwellcat, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Who are you going to vote for?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2017.
  1. Conservatives

35 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Labour

57 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Lib Dems

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Green Party

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Abstaining From Voting

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. Undecided

25 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. UKIP

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

He left off a holiday cottage by the sea for every family and free ice cream at weekends.

rona, DT, Honeys mum and 4 others like this.
  2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Yes I remember Black Wednesday well and you should also remember it was caused by us entering the ERM (European Exchange Rate Mechanism)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/16/newsid_2519000/2519013.stm

All member countries agreed to keep their currency value within set limits linked to the German mark.

As a consequence they were forced to adopt the anti-inflation policies of the German Bundesbank.

Membership of the ERM has become a Brussels-imposed condition to joining the Euro - Europe's single currency.

Britain did not rejoin after 16 September 1992 - a day which became known as "Black Wednesday".

1992: UK crashes out of ERM
    The government has suspended Britain's membership of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism.

The UK's prime minister and chancellor tried all day to prop up a failing pound and withdrawal from the monetary system the country joined two years ago was the last resort.

Chancellor Norman Lamont raised interest rates from 10% to 12%, then to 15%, and authorised the spending of billions of pounds to buy up the sterling being frantically sold on the currency markets.

But the measures failed to prevent the pound falling lower than its minimum level in the ERM.

The second rise in the interest rate was reversed by the beleaguered chancellor soon after the withdrawal from the ERM, setting it at 12%.

Sorry haven't managed to find my copy of the dossier yet and if I'm wrong I will be more than happy to apologise. The bit you've quoted isn't the bit I was remembering though which had some reference to how many minutes (15 or 20 springs to mind) it would take for a weapon to reach us (although if I'm wrong it might have been to reach other bases).

DoodlesRule, rona, DT and 3 others like this.
  3. DT

DT PetForums VIP

well i have come to a very important decision, i am going to base my vote on the party that pledges to every single one of us the gift of unicorn in order to stamp out emissions . Well, SERIOUSLY, let's face it sounds about as likely as some of the policies i have seen.:D

#663 DT, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Honeys mum, rona and Satori like this.
  4. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

More lies.

image.jpg

rona likes this.
  5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Do you know who your candidates are yet? Apart from the incumbent MP who has declared he will be standing again we have no other candidates as of yet. I think the normal procedure for selection has been changed to allow for candidates to be put in place quickly but they can`t be declared until parliament has been dissolved? I should imagine parties in some constituencies had already their potential candidate for 2020 already lined up so can hit the ground running. Mine will probably still be mulling it over the day before the deadline!!

6. noushka05

noushka05 lefty,libtard,remoaner,bunnyHugger:Giver of a ****

When labour left power the economy was growing, millions were lifted out of poverty, the NHS achieved its greatest record of satisfaction. The tories have now borrowed more than every labour government combined & nearly tripled UK debt. Tory austerity has stifled our economy. Created the crisis our NHS, social care, mental health, fire service - all public services are now in crisis. They have created a homeless crisis, pushed millions of people into poverty with their changes to the benefits system. Labour for all their faults did a great many good things for society & for the environment.

Our society is breaking down, the country is in chaos - things have got far worse under the Tories.

7. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Didn`t Al Murray ( The Pub Landlord, in case I`ve got his name wrong!) pledge a free dog for everyone in his manifesto. He should have gone for unicorns cos dogs aren`t very environmentally friendly and at least the promise of a free unicorn would have given him something in common with the `real candidates` making pledges they can`t keep :D

Lurcherlad, noushka05 and DT like this.
  8. rona

rona Missing my boy

Had to pay the EU bill somehow ;)

Bisbow and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If we look hard enough we can find "evidence", " facts" and "figures" to back up pretty much any argument and viewpoint tbh

Within just a few seconds I found some to back up the Tories, and another to back up Labour :rolleyes:

I remain unconvinced by any Politicians - or anybody else either at the moment ;)

Roll on Election Day - let's get it over with :Yawn

10. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

You seem to have forgotten all about the global economic crisis which kicked off in 2008 and really began to bite in 2009/10. That was the reason for all this austerity in the first place. I doubt Labour would have managed any better, probably worse actually, than the coalition and the conservatives governments.

stockwellcat and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. noushka05

I have always called Blair out for what he is - a warmonger. I'll never be an apologist for him or for anyone who engages in acts of barbarity. May too is a warmonger as her foreign policy proves.

Looking at her shameful voting record & her arms dealing how do you reconcile your support for her RPH?

Britain is now the second biggest arms dealer in the world - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...iggest-arms-dealer-in-the-world-a7225351.html

upload_2017-4-21_13-15-38.png

MrsZee, leashedForLife and KittenKong like this.
  12. noushka05

Actually the economy was recovering when the tory coalition came to power.

Austerity soon put paid to that:rolleyes:. It was a con to transfer public money into private pockets. Our NHS & public services cut to shreds. Whilst the poorest, ordinary workers suffered the wealth of the richest doubled. 'We're all in it together' my ass. We were conned.

Here, watch it from the horses mouth if you don't believe me.

13. noushka05

If you want to be informed, why not see what respected NGOs say & the consensual position of trusted experts LL.

The NHA Party for example was set up by professionals in the NHS to save it from destruction. If the NHS is something you feel strongly about you could check out what they are saying :) Likewise Green NGOs. They have the facts about green issues & expose scandals & hold politicians to account.

14. noushka05

Labour did bad things theres no denying it. I'll never be an apologist for anything bad they have done. But the Tories are modelling our NHS on the dire American health service. Where 3/4 of people with health insurance go bankrupt paying for health care. Corbyn wants to take our NHS back into public ownership. If the tories sweep to power who will stop them?

15. Honeys mum

Honeys mum PetForums VIP

Well noush, I can agree with what he says about the Lib Dems, also some about the NHS.
    Unfortunatley it will take a miracle whoever gets in to sort the NHS out. I just hope it's some one who can make a difference.
    Our NHS is very precious

16. noushka05

Thank you for your thoughts HM. If you go on twitter you can check out what the NHS professionals are saying. There is hope but if the tories sweep to power with a landslide - theres no hope.

leashedForLife and KittenKong like this.
  17. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper PetForums VIP

Not sure what point your making with the video, it's just Mr Osbourne being questioned about austerity measures and, as with all politicians, avoiding direct answers.

Genuine question because I can't remember, what did Labour do in it's last two years in response to the economic crisis?

18. noushka05

No, that's not what it shows at all:confused: It shows Osborne admitting UK had lowest debt in the G7 after the global banking crisis (thanks to labour). The tories have now increased debt to £1.7 Trillion:eek:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ramesh-patel/growth-cameron-austerity_b_2007552.html

leashedForLife and KittenKong like this.
  19. DT

DT PetForums VIP

Awh bless you noush xx
    I know how much you care, and how you just want to fix everything, I so so so wish I could see it your way, I really do. But on the bright side noush, I havn,t decided how to vote yet. Xxxxxxx

noushka05 likes this.
  20. noushka05

I'll keep plugging away then:Hilarious

KatieandOliver and DT like this.