Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

General Behaviour of Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mell-e-c, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mell-e-c

mell-e-c PetForums Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any general advice on the behaviour of guinea pigs.

i want to be able to understand them as much as possible and books don't seem to offer all the information like

1 - Why do they chat their teeth sometimes??
    2 - What does it mean when they are squeeking away or making a noise like a purring cat??

If anyone has any tips at all they would be most appreciated!

Thanks

:)

2. nibbles

nibbles PetForums Newbie

Guinea pigs chatter their teeth when they are angry with other guinea pigs - usually males do this to other males.

Guinea pigs make purring noises sometimes when they are happy

3. mell-e-c

Do you think they chatter teeth at humans???

They only do it when i hold them both together?!!

4. mell-e-c

thats brilliant advice! where did you get the information from???

5. nibbles

nibbles PetForums Newbie

My guinea pigs live in the backyard. They have cages that they can go into if it gets cold - but generally they roam around free. They mow the lawn - so we dont need to cut it very often. They are very territorial so they dont try and leave the backgarden. You just have to separate the males and females or get the males desexed - otherwise they breed rapidly.

Guinea pigs have interesting social lives if allowed to free range.

We dont have foxes ( not many) and cats do not seem to bother them. Currawongs have been known to chase them though.

6. nibbles

nibbles PetForums Newbie

The reason that your guinea pigs chatter their teeth at each other is that they are both males (I am guessing). They wont do it to you 'cause you are not another guinea pig male. Sometimes males will do it if you approach their cage and they think you are entering their space and there are females around - but only some males are that game. One of our guinea pigs is particularily territorial and will make agressive body moves - but this is all show. He is a guinea pig and completely harmless.

7. georgefan

georgefan PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have 6 piggies, 4 girls and 2 boys, kept in pairs in 3 hutches. I have noticed my eldest pair of girls are not eating their dry food, although they are eating the fresh fruit and vegetables I give them each morning. The weather has recently gone quite cold, could this be why they are off their food? My other 4 piggies are still eating all of their dried food. Otherwise, they seem to be their normal selves and are still squeaking when I go out to them, and drinking the same amount of water.

I have bought a different dried food for them aswell, but they don't seem interested in this either, just nibbling at it periodically. They currently have both types of dried food in their hutch, so they can choose which they want!

Any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks

Mel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice