Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

general anaesthetic for older dog-advice needed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lulus mum, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Hi
    Have posted on here a while ago about our 14 yr old dog ,Buster,hes a Heinz 57 and we have had him since he was 3 mths old

He has always had teeth problems and has had many teeth removed under G.A in the past ,several times

Some of his remaining teeth are really bad-he shows signs of discomfort and his breath isnt nice to put it mildly.His mouth must feel and taste so nasty.

O.H took him to the vet a few months ago for advice on treatment and HE SAID the vet said not to do anything due to his age.
    (O.H was against giving Buster a G.A,so Im not 100% certain what the vet said-if you know what I mean)

Have a vets appt.on Wednesday with him and I am going too.
    My question is

would you risk a G.A. ,given his age? ALSO and I suppose its a BIG also

Buster has dementia -he still enjoys his walks,isnt incontinent ,still wags his tail when he sees us and the vet says hes in no pain.( hes on Aktivait,recommended by someone on P.F and it has helped him a lot)

He still LOVES his food-its 1 of his few pleasures,so I want to make whatever time he has left as happy as possible..
    We dont want to lose him under G.A,especially since we lost his "sister",Lulu at the end of January (not under a G.A)and we are still devastated from that.

Would be glad for anyones thoughts on this and also will be guided by the vet-who we trust.I suppose there is no guarantee of safety for a dog of any age under a G.A.
    (Sorry for long post-my mind a bit all over the place as 1 of our 3 cats -hes 14 too, isnt well and Im researching for a food for his sensitive stomach-he is at the vets too on Wednesday-vet has given him Royal Canin Sensitive(dry) which he isnt too keen on as he has never been keen on any dry food.)

Thanks for reading this long post
    from Maureen

Have updated this today April 6th after visiting the vet

#1 Lulus mum, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

There is a blood test you can have for cats to see how things are before a GA I assume its the same for dogs but not sure :eek: Maybe have that done & then decide :)

3. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Thanks -will mention this to the vet to see what he thinks
    Maureen

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I have had several of my older dogs that have had to have surgery over the years and from experience all have come through it OK. You can have pre Op blood tests done, these will be able to tell you the condition and status of the vital organs etc, and can be a good guide to how well they will likely cope with the anaethetic. The vet should also give him a through check up and listen to the heart and lungs, and should detect anything that may cause a problem under anaesthetic. I have always had the blood tests done so I can make an informed decision.
    As you have said he seems to have discomfort, its best to be guided by the vet and the tests. I did read that if dogs have bad teeth and periodontal disease and if abscesses form it could mean that bacteria can escape into the blood stream and that in itself can cause infection in other parts of the body and even kidney and liver problems in itself.

You need to really ask the vet, if he thinks the teeth can cause other problems and in his opinion how bad they actually are. If he thinks ideally for the comfort of the dog and health wise they need to come out, then maybe let him do the full examination and blood tests and then make you decision.

Hope this is of some help.

5. Dally Banjo

Your welcome hope everything is ok :)

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

GA's are quite safe these days even for older dogs. Rapinovet (propafol) is a very good anaesthetic as it leaves the system quickly and has very few side effects - in fact propafol is the only anaesthetic that should be used on Mals as some others can have bad effects of them, taking too long to leave the system and the dog taking ages to come round.
    Ask the vet about propafol (brand name Rapinovet) and also ask if this procedure can be done with sedation instead of a full on GA. Some vets will do dental work under sedation, so worth asking. ;)

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Your vet would do a blood test first to make sure vital organs were OK.

My 12 yr old had GA for dentistry work last September but the vet did a blood test prior to the procedure.

8. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Thanks Malmum
    Was wondering about sedation instead of G.A., but had read on here or elsewhere that, in the event of something going wrong,G.A is safer as the dog is tubed-which it isnt if only sedation is given.

Also concerned because of Busters dementia -whether the G.A would cause him distress-or even if sedation would either.
    He has gone from being very very "touchy feely"dog -always wanting to lie on you -any bit of you would do -especially your feet-to NEVER doing that and pulling away if you try to give him a cuddle.
    Its very upsetting -for us-not him sometimes as he looks a bit bewildered about what we are trying to do.
    Thanks again-have written down from your what Ill ask the vet
    Maureen

9. Alpha-She

Alpha-She PetForums Junior

My most elderly English Setter, Miss Tickle, has had GA/surgery for suspect teat removal when she was eleven and is now 13 and a 1/2 and still going strong. I have found a remaining leaky/lumpy teat and am considering having this removed. The various posts about safer anaesthesia are correct - much safer these days and for dental work, the lighter version would probably be appropriate and is out of the system much sooner. Generally speaking anaesthetics these days are much safer than of old. Can't advise as still debating myself over action, but I think in your case I might go ahead but have the blood tests and examination beforehand to ensure main organs are sound. Good luck to you and Buster.

10. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone.
    Will let you know what the vet says tomorrow
    Maureen

11. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Hi
    Went to the vet with Buster and she gave him a good check over.
    Was there ages.
    He is in good health-he is booked in for Friday a.mt o have his teeth "seen to"

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post here -as I was able to ask relevant questions.

Sled Dog Hotel-the vet mentioned what youd posted to me-about peridontal disease causing infection to spread to other organs
    The vet actually had a friend-(human)who was young,very fit and active ,but had died as a result of the bacteria from an abcess-the Post Mortem had found that he had a heart problem-but that wasnt what killed him.

We talked for along time and she let me ask anything I wanted to and it was very re-assuring,as I was quite worried.

We discussed G.A as opposed to sedation and she said that she would definitely give G.A,so Im quite happy with that as I know someone had posted about it being safer
    So,once again thanks for your replies.
    Please keep Buster in your thought on Friday, as he is so precious to us .

Friday,when he goes to the vets will be the 1st day in 40 years when we havent had a dog in the house
    (We had 2 dogs (Sandy and Ginger)both taken in as strays off the street-both lived to age 17.
    Then Buster and Lulu who we lost in January.)
    So Friday a.m will seem very strange-will just have to give our 3 cats extra cuddles.
    Maureen

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Will be thinking of buster and you all on Friday, Please let us know how your all doing, Your vet must be happy with his health and general condition or she would have said. It is all very worrying though I know what ever reassurances you get, I hate it when any of mine go in and am never happy until they are home safe. Big hugs to Buster and hope it all goes well, Im sure he will be much more comfortable after too.

13. Dally Banjo

Good news that he's ok to have the op, hope he's much better afterwards & is home quickly on Friday :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice