Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

General advice needed on progressing etc

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by Argent, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Hi all :) I've been riding on and off now since I was about 8 or 9. At 20 I've finally decided to get back into it 'for real' this time, and I'm really interested in taking things further thanks to all the confidence given by my new instructor. Four-five weeks in after a 7 year hiatus, I feel like I want to be challenged and take my riding to perhaps a more competitive level.

I'm taking weekly half hour lessons at this new riding school, which doesn't sound like much but we get so much done! The group is way smaller than what I'm used to so we all get plently of one-on-one time and good feedback, even helping each other as a group too!

At the moment I've been getting the hang of canter, which has been getting better and better to the point where it's as steady as trotting for me. I've also been doing a few jumps, which was a massive thing for me, as lessons at my previous school were plain, boring and holding me and everyone else back.

Thing is, I'm absolutely loving it and I'm just wondering now if there is anything out there for a 20 year old amateur without her own horse! I know about the BHS scheme for young riders but I don't think I'll pass for 17 :p
    Anyone care to chat/share advice?

2. mollythecollie

mollythecollie PetForums Member

If there are some others at your riding school, you could ask about organising a show within the school, using their horses. Perhaps paying an entry fee and with someone to judge? I have done a few dressage tests at the school where I ride like this- its great fun and really gets your confidence up! And if/when i decide to get my own horse I will have lots of practice for competeing :)

3. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Hi im also 20 and been riding since i was 9, yet like you on and off, last time i rode was a year ago now :(

Me and my mum were planning on getting a own horse, but as always things change, and like you wanted to a bit more. Maybe you could horse share with someone? Or try talking to your instructor, maybe they will have some ideas?

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely be talking to my instructor when I get back - had to miss Christmas games to go visit the OH's family, no lesson on boxing day so I have to wait til the next Saturday after New Year to get back in the saddle!
    For some reason I've been getting more and more excited about horse riding lately, it's coming back to me like when I was an obsessed 10 year old!

I'm sure my group wouldn't turn down a chance to compete, everyone's pretty up for it I think. I need to start volunteering or something, as a groom or stablehand. I'm going to need an income before I can even think of loaning/sharing a horse though it'd be an awesome idea (I'm a po' student XD)

5. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I'm also a student, so like you am skint.lol. Except i work part time, but it still doesn't stretch far. I know what you mean about getting addicted, all the stables around us have gone to pot. There is an amazing one that i go to when i hae the money, but its 30mins away, but they have the most amazing horses.

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Heh that's exactly what I'm like - the ones nearer to us are pretty bad, but we ventured over to from Liverpool to Wirral and found the best place ever! The instructors are fabulous and I love the horses dearly, especially a sweetie cob called Finnigan :p

7. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I find the further out the more they care about the horses ect, nearer the towns its as if they get greedy for the money. Ahhh look what youv gone an done, i really want to go riding again now. lol. We have 7 acres, but is currently being rented out, ahh i'd love a horse. ;)

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Heh I keep thinking the same thing, but I don't have the money nor time at the moment...maybe in a few years, but I have a degree, career, house, wedding and babies to think of first! XD
    That's why at the moment I'd settle for some sort of club where you compete on school horses, and perhaps try and start working my way up through the ranks of the yard. I have been a stablehand before, so I know I'm not entirely useless, just out of practice!

9. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

OMG are you my twin? I was a groom at an event yard. Except i don't want kids. I know what you mean though, thats why me and my mum were going to share it. Maybe once youv got you house ect you could share one. Or just find a loaded man, so i don't have to work and can walk my dogs and go riding....in my dreams.lol

10. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Lol! I'm trying to get my OH into riding but at the moment he says he'd maybe perhaps ride someday, but it's too cold to even come up and watch me for half an hour! Cheek of it, some people just don't understand!

My groom days were at my old riding school, which wasn't to a particularly high standard, and I was only about 11 :D I'm awful shy with people, particularly in stressful situations, which puts me off ever so slightly, but doing it for the horses is just too tempting...even if I'd be running around with a bunch of little pre-teens :rolleyes:

11. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Yeh if im honest it totally put me off, iv always loved horses, but when i worked there it was so bitchy, and im not like that at all, so i would get it from all sides, especially the head groom. I was 15, so i quit and decided not to do my quine diploma, which i regret, but i couldn't have coped working full time in an environment like that. Sounds like youv found a nice stables though.

12. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Wow we really are twins...I left my old yard because I was bullied by the other girls and getting caught up in their bitchfights! I've heard things about my current stables that the people on livery can be bitchy, but it might only be certain people, they might not be staying there anymore for all I know, and I'd most likely keep to myself anyway. At least I know my instructor, the receptionist and an older lady that answers the phone from time to time are brilliant people!

13. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

It effects you whole experience though, and i just don't get why they are like it. My oh's sister has horses and when i went to the stables where she keeps them i got so much crap off of the women there. Cause my oh was always down there before we got together, they were all bitching about me. Makes me feel so anxious and it scares me if im honest. I love horses and i love riding but i just don't like the environment that generally goes with it.

14. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Ugh I hate jealous cows like that - they really get to me as well, there's no need for people like that. I'm guessing the better I get to know my yard, the more apparent people's attitudes will be. At least when I went to check the place out I saw a few girls there with gobs like foghorns but they meant no harm heh.

15. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Thats ok then, it sounds like there are some nice people there too. Hopefully there won't be anyone there who spoils it for you. Maybe il find a stables thats like that...or like i say il just have to get my own horse, then at least i wouldn't have to deal with that. I would love to do endurance riding. Any particular event you want to get into?

16. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I like the idea of showjumping, especially after trying my first few jumps and loving it (even the bumpy ones!), my legs are a bit weird so I don't think I'd be able to excel in the likes of dressage...so either showjumping or endurance for me I think!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice