UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the swabs to gene test my potential breeding girl. She is an Oriental Blue, and I want to find out if she carries Cinnamon or Chocolate. She must carry one or the other as mum was a blue-point and dad was a havanna carrying cinnamon.

But, are there any other tests worth doing at the same time?

The only coat colour test worth doing is for Cinnamon - she is non-agouti, she carries Siamese, she is dilute, she isn't NFC so won't be amber,

A lot of them can be ruled out - Blood type, Burmese GM2 & Hypokalemia, glycogen storage disease (NFC test), coat lengh, HCM, PKD. PK Def isn't listed as being in Orientals / Siamese, so think that can be ruled out as well.

That leaves PRA which does occur in Orientals according to the Langford website, but there is no history of blindness in her pedigree.

http://www.langfordvets.co.uk/laboratory_owners.htm

It's not a lot more for two tests from one swab - worth doing given there is no history for her?

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
I can't think of anything - why pay to test for something that isn't there? If there is a chance then do it, if you are convinced there isn't then don't. They do hold onto the sample and can test again later for other stuff if needed. Does your breed club have a discount code?

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that was my thinking. Sadly no discount from the breed club, not sure how long it would take them to organise - she isn't ready for mating yet, almost 7 months and too small as yet and she hasn't called yet either so I guess I should follow that up.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
I can't think of anything - why pay to test for something that isn't there?
Agree, but you could do it for peace of mind that she's not a PRA carrier. I tested mine (being a Siamese derived breed) and all were clear as was expected but I now have the proof that they are.
At that time breeders were only beginning to test for it in Ocicats

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi,

If her GCCF Reg slip is overstamped 'may carry LH' that would be one worth doing as it is on many orientals slips as a historic issue and the only way to remove it is to genetic test. Sorry but I cant remember the name of the actual test for LH carrying but it is available through Langfords.

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks both. She's not overstamped so no need to test for LH, but yes, I see your point SC and it's not a lot extra for another test off the same swab. Cross fingers I got enough buccal cells on the swab!

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I'd test for the PRA anyway. I test every single one of my girls for PKD, even if I've bred them myself, even if I have the papers to prove that the stud is clear, and I've tested the queens. Why? Firstly because mistakes can be made. I know of one cat who was declared PKD positive when both parents were negative, and it was only on retesting that the right results were achieved. However, if a clear result is given, why would any breeder question it and demand a retest? In this way, a proportion, albeit a miniscule one, may have slipped through the net.

Even though there's no evidence of blindness in her pedigree, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Less than white breeders and owners don't always tell the full truth when trying to move a kitten on, so again, it could be there and you're just not aware.

It's better to know and be as sure as you possibly can, than have that teeny weeny niggle at the back of your mind.

Why are you ruling out blood type?

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did test for PRA (negative) and she turns out to be a cinnamon carrier.

I didn't do the blood type as Orientals and Siamese are not one of the breeds where it's a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.