Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gelert would you use it

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by gooner1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. gooner1

gooner1 PetForums Junior

Hi everyone
    after my 14 month old Ridgeback went off the JW pouches I decided the other day to put him on a brand called Gelert. I found this independent pet shop in Maidstone and it seems a really good price . Does anyone use it for there dog?
    He seems to really like it although it only seems to come in jelly form and I thought that the gravy version of wet food is better. I give him a wet and dry mix of Gelert now.

2. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I've not heard of it before so had a quick look at their website and the dry stuff is terrible. Most varieties of the dry have grain as listed as the first ingredient and most of the meat is meal (which is the waste parts of the animal ground up) so there's very little actual meat in it.

Their wet food isn't brilliant either. The chunks in jelly varieties have very little actual meat (just a minimum of 4%) with the rest being animal derivatives. The tripe mixes aren't the worst I've seen ingredient wise, although they're still lower in actual meat than I would like to see in a wet food.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally, there's way too much grain (i.e. indigestible filler) and not enough actual meat in it.

3. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think a lot of working sheepdogs are fed on this as you can find it for sale in the farmers shop. Not sure how good it is but if your dog is well on it then feed it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice