Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gecko leo

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by emwallace, Sep 4, 2018.

1. emwallace

emwallace PetForums Newbie

I'm planning on getting a Leopard Gecko within the next month or so, and it will be my first reptile pet. I work in a pet store myself however we don't sell reptiles, but I do know a fair bit about them. We do sell everything, from live food to terrariums (which I get 20% discount on!) as well as having a reptile vet in store, so my gecko will be completely sorted :D

I would like some advice on what substrate to use, I'm really leaning towards tile but I'm not sure what type. I've also considered eco earth, reptile carpet and excavator clay. I've done a lot of research but people have so many strong opinions I've heard bad and good things about all, what's the best natural looking yet safe substrate to use?

I will be getting a medium sized terrarium that is 60x45x30cm for 1 gecko, I did want to get a large as I first thought more space the better, but I've read that they can get stressed with too much space. (I do plan on getting a heat mat that is half the length of whatever tank I get)

Are 2.0% UV ray lights necessary for my gecko? if they can potentially cause more harm than good, I will not get one.

Any advice or tips will be much appreciated!

2. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

You can get a UV bulb if you want to be on the safe side, but as long as your provide calcium powder and dust live food you should be fine.
    Eco earth, Reptile Carpet and Tiles are all great. I'm not informed on the other though so I can't help there I'm afraid! I'd lean towards the Reptile Carpet if I were you though! :)

Leos are great geckos, they have huge personalities and are so cute! Just provide a varied diet, good temp and nice cage with a good setup and you should do good.

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice