Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GDS: A good dog to own or not for everyone?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by acaciabrown, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

thats why i never denied and agree with u they need alot of work and effort put into.... ;) they arent lapdogs for sure :D

2. acaciabrown

acaciabrown PetForums Newbie

Goldens are one of the most lax and people/dog friendly breeds available. They don't eat as much as Labs and are not as bright. They are well known for being perfect family dogs - ours has never had ANY issues with dominance/aggression in fact on the rare occasion he does bark he looks completely taken back and then looks around as if to say: Who made that noise!!!!

So considering that a GSD would be a totally different dog to handle, it's not a bad thing but considering we live in a populated city (although a dog that is capable of defending its family is an added bonus) there would be a problem if the dog constantly barked as the council would step in the stop it due to noise pollution.

It's just something to be aware of.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No definately not although my friends is convinced he really can fit on your lap if he tries hard enough. He can however scale 6 foot walls, hike for 15 miles and run agility no problem.
    I love goldens my friend has a nearly white one Max and he's the softest thing imaginable. They rarely have temperment issues Max's only problem is he listens to women even over his owner lol.

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

well, i have to teach my gsd to bark on command or else he wont make a noise all day unless someone knocks at the door lol :D

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

nicky sounds like my friends GSD hes huge but sits on my feet everytime we go out for a walk lol if you sit down he'll try and sit on your lap :rolleyes: crazy mutt lol!

Her other one barks like a bugger, at everything and anything its just holly for you i think shes pretty good inside i think but outside she just likes to let everyone know shes around it could be an age thing as she is very old 11-12yrs old which from what i gather is a very grand age for a GSD

6. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

cobi sat on my lap today :blushing: i have to say he doesnt realize his size though :D

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah but he's so adorable it doesn't really matter. He's about 70lbs and yeah its not fun when he tries to do it but at least its not the mastiff trying. 11-12 years is a really good age for a gsd.

They really don't realise their own size but you find it hard to complain when he pulls these eyes on you.

Attached Files:

8. acaciabrown

Ours is completely gregarious, terrible with it as a puppy though. Ugh recall was AWFUL he'd go with anyone who clapped their hands. He can't seem to imagine anyone not willing to adore and love him.

Player =w=

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah Max loves everybody but especially women David said drop Max just looked at him, I told him to drop and it was on the floor before I could blink. He doesn't leave my side when I go either.

10. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Our GSD Razor barks, when someone is on the property, just to tell me someone is there, or maybe to warn them, thats he around, lol!
    I do recommend if buying a GSD pup, you make sure the parents are Hip Scored, and that the scores are below 20, unfortunately there's so many people breeding 'all' types of dogs out there, who don't do the necessary tests, experienced this from our 2nd shep, firstly got him from a kennels, with a view of him being 8 yrs old, he sadly only lasted 3 weeks with us, and his back end went, took him to the vets, and we were told his correct age was more 13 years! Shocked is an under-statement.

Pro's: They are so loyal, enjoy companionship, add security to your home, Intelligent, respond very well to training, eager to please.

Con's: High level of exercise needed when at the right age (a pup walks should be limited, as this can have affect on hips in later life) Can be overly protective, but I believe this varies depending on how much training etc is done with your dog.

This is just some of things I think you need to ask yourself before thinking about a shep:
    YOU have the time and desire to interact with and teach your German Shepherd the “things to do” and “ things not to do”.

YOU include your German Shepherd in your daily activities.

YOU are able to frequently expose your dog to MANY different places, different people, and other dogs.

YOU can provide a job for your German Shepherd or are interested in doing obedience, tracking, Schutzhund, agility, therapy, or other work with your German Shepherd Dog.

YOU admire a big dog and have the physical ability to handle it.

YOU are a confident leader and able to provide direction without being abusive.

YOU are someone who will communicate clearly that You are in charge.

YOU are not "house proud" and does not mind the grooming and exercise involved in keeping a large, double coated, energetic dog.

YOU appreciate a protective dog that may intimidate strangers.

YOU can verbally control your dog’s behavior when unknown guests arrive.

YOU are willing to accept that there are both pros and cons to owning any dog and that the German Shepherd -- despite its popularity and fame -- is not the perfect dog for everyone!

Sorry for such a long post :D

Dingle, dipdog and thedogsmother like this.
  11. acaciabrown

Check, check, check. ;) Awesome-o post, being able to completely control your dog is obviously more important in the larger breeds but I think people who own small toy dogs tend to forget this a lot.

12. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Gave you a blob for this post, excellently put.

13. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Its so true, small dogs are just as hard work :eek:hmy: :smilewinkgrin:

14. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

A blob? What's that :eek: Lol.

15. thedogsmother

Its a reputation point, if you look under the amount of posts you've made there is a green blob, when you get a hundred reputation points you get another green blob.
    If you approve of a post you can click on the scales at the top left of the post and it will ask if you approve/dissaprove and you can give people blobs and leave alittle comment saying why you gave it :D. If you go to edit profile then scroll to the bottom of the screen it will show you the reputation points that you have already earned.

16. Gsd_mad

Gsd_mad PetForums Member

Ahh, thank you thedogsmother :D

17. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I saw someone near my college a month or so ago with a GSD, it was young but not a puppy, but it could hardly walk at all :( the poor dog kept tripping over its own feet and stopping because it could hardly stand up right, it was horrid... imagine how it must feel to have a spine like that? :(

Some of these show people breed their dogs to be so horribly deformed, yet some woman at Crufts dared to call my friend's white GSD a 'genetic fault' and say he should never be allowed :cursing: at least my friend's dog can walk :mad:

18. acaciabrown

Never be allowed how? To exist because he has a white coat? :S I thought that was due to only showing standards? If it's a pet who the hell cares? D: also the dogs with the tiny back legs are terrifying, how can they walk? WHY are they bred like that???? ;w;

19. thedogsmother

I think people like that are only so aggressive because they know they are in the wrong, Henrick is my 2nd white GSD, I personally prefer white ones but I can also see that the standard coat GSDs are also lovely looking dogs. Its not so long ago someone told me that there is a breeder in my town that still culls white pups, in my opinion that can not be a lover of the breed but some people are too stupid to open their eyes and see the truth, if anyone tried to tell me that Henrick had a genetic fault I would quote the history of the white GSD to them and the reasons Max von Stephanitz (the original breeder of the GSD) stopped breeding white GSDs, none of which were reasons related to health. Ok rant over:D:D.

20. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

My neighbours always apologise for their dog barking but I think its a good thing having a dog protecting your property. I have eight little yappers and they always tell me when someone is by the door :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice