Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GCCF Supreme Cat Show questions thread.

Discussion in 'Cats Shows and Events' started by Furfection, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Furfection

Furfection PetForums Junior

Hi all, wasn't sure whether to tag any questions here onto prior threads. But on balance, I thought maybe the Supreme GCCF cat show could have a separate thread for anyone's questions.

I have 2 questions:-

1)I understand cats are placed 1 to 6 in the respective open classes. Thats if 6 cats are entered in that class.

Is it just the first placed cat that would get a Premier/Grand Premier/Imperial/Olympian certificate etc?
    Or could 2 or more of the 6 cats placed get a certificate that would go towards their next title?

2)Is the Supreme Show a lot more competitive?
    I'd imagine its much harder than a local show. But is it the equivalent of say 6 regional shows combined?

3)Are there any other major differences between the Supreme show and the cat club shows? (other than size and prestige etc)

Many thanks all.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Only the first placed cat receives the certificate, provided the certificate isn't withheld

Yes it is more competitive, although it's a lot smaller than it used to be. Last year had 500-odd entries, previous years have had over 800. I doubt it will go back up to that, and will probably be in the region of 500-600 now

The Supreme is ring judged, so you take your cat up when it's your class being judged. They don't announce it so you have to keep an eye on the board. If you miss it, a steward will find your cat and take it up.

As such, you can decorate your pens with drapes, and there's a competition for the best decorated pen in that year's theme

Hope that helps!

Furfection likes this.
  3. Furfection

Ok many thanks.
    Sounds like its maybe 3 times as competitive as a normal regional show, bearing in mind every cat has won atleast a premier certificate?
    Can all cats be eligible for best in show? Or is it effectively just Olympians/Imperials that are considered for that?
    (Mine is a Premier so far).

4. Rufus15

As far as I know, Best in Show works the same as any other show - Best of Breed winners and Grand, Imperial and Oly winners.

The Siberian section is not generally very big at any show, and the same at the Supreme. So you may only have 3 in your class.

Persian, Maine Coon and British are the biggest sections that have the most competition. I wouldn't fret too much about being up against 6 or more cats, as it's unlikely

Furfection likes this.
  5. Furfection

Thanks for your info Rufus.

I checked out the Schedule of last year's show. My cat is now titled Premier. So I think
    he would be in class 169 ie RagaMuffin/Siberian Premier?
    ie looking to get Premier certificates to obtain the Grand Premier title
    https://www.gccfcats.org/Portals/0/Schedule.Supreme 2018.pdf?ver=2018-08-18-170640-083
    Obviously scheduling might change for this year!

EDIT: I mistyped. He is now a Premier, so he is competing for Grand Premier certificates.

#5 Furfection, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  6. Rufus15

Hang fire on assuming class numbers. I doubt they will change but wait for this year's schedule to be released. Has he gained the title of Premier by winning 3 Premier certificates?

Yes the 13 day rule still applies, so you can't show at any show in GCCF, TICA or FIFé for the 13 days either side of the Supreme. So whichever show is a fortnight before or after the Supreme is ok for you to enter

Furfection likes this.
  7. Furfection

Thanks. I mistyped sorry. He's now got his Premier title, so he'll be competing for Grand Premier certificates.

I noticed at local shows that would mean competing with the Maine Coons now.

8. Rufus15

Yes that's correct :)

Furfection likes this.
  9. Furfection

Questions re hot weather and GCCF (or other!) shows.

Hi all, I have 2 questions, would very much appreciate any advice.

1)I understand showers are allowed to leave cool packs under the white blankets during judging at GCCF shows?
    Is that correct? Given that its possible coloured cool packs might be viewed as "non anonymous" items ie a way of identifying a cat?

2)I understand that cage fans can be left on the pens during judging.... at the show manager's discretion. And when the Hall is open again, showers can immediately put their fans on the cages. Is this correct?

Are these fans acceptable?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-2-Speed-Crate-Crates-Cages/dp/B007FOS42A

Its blue, 2 speed, a Metro Air Force fan.

It looks like this one at Crystalclearpet:-
    https://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/coolers/airforce-cage-cooler_buy.htm

which I know are used at GCCF shows.

Many thanks! : )

10. Rufus15

You can use cool mats provided they're underneath the white blanket. They won't be deemed as identifiable and GCCF aren't anonymous, much as they pertain to be.

Yes that fan is fine, all shows during summer will allow fans on the front or tops of cages, whichever fans you choose is up to you. Show managers will usually allow you to leave fans on the pen throughout judging

Furfection likes this.
  11. Furfection

Brilliant. Many thanks! : )

12. Furfection

Supreme Show (and similar) pen decorations...

Hi all.
    Can anyone give some advice/tips on Supreme(GCCF) or similar show pen decorations.
    Firstly I'm looking for someone who can supply show drapes/curtains?
    (Can't see much on Ebay or Etsy last time I looked
    Cheap drapes etc are fine. Preferably as plain as possible).
    Also, is there anywhere I can get other decorations?
    How do people decorate the back and side of their pen?

Also, I understand decorations aren't compulsory. But how much(if at all!) is it expected that you fancily decorate your cat's pen?
    Or follow the current year's theme( holidays in this case?)

I'm not a talented practical type, so ideally I'm looking for as easy a solution as possible.
    Many thanks all!

13. Rufus15

Furfection likes this.
  14. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

I have a beautiful set from cat show curtains which are 4 years old and get used a few times a year as I show FIFe where we can decorate our pens. I have also made a few sets of European type drapes which are super simple. They are 2ft x 2ft sections with ribbon ties (4 in total). I have a few sets of these dependent on the show’s theme.

Furfection likes this.
  15. Furfection

Hi Lily
    Could be of interest. Do you have any pics you can put up here, or send by pm?
    Many thanks.

16. Furfection

Thanks. Those were the 3 that Googled up for me.
    So the curtains are either tied into the top of the pen? Or curtain wires attach into the top (?) of the pen and the curtains go along the wires? Unfortunately I haven't had a GCCF show recently to do a "reconnaissance mission" : D

THis TICA video, where the drapes are folded over a pen that comes apart would seem to be completely different to the GCCF Supreme arrangement, and therefore irrelevant yes?

17. lillytheunicorn

The top two are my posh set from show curtains in purple and lilac 0BAB30AB-278C-4C46-832D-1A05FC7B6C66.jpeg 93CD0208-DF76-43D7-AB3C-8935B4AC40C0.jpeg 02B002BD-3EAC-49DA-B97F-C9588DB8E74C.jpeg These are the tie ones I made for the World Show with matching team GB bunting. When I get home I will dig them out and take some photos of them.

18. lillytheunicorn

The tie ones tie to the top corners of the pen. The posh ones are on curtain wire which stretches across a side.

Furfection likes this.
  19. Rufus15

The drapes have curtain wire running through a gap that runs along the length of the curtain. The wire hooks onto the edges of the pens

Furfection likes this.
  20. Furfection

Many thanks for your posts Lilly and Rufus. Beautiful young cat there by the way Lilly!
    I think I'm sorted for the show decor now. Where I got confused I think was with that TICA video.
    (Altho I was tempted to go the lazy route and do next to nothing ! : D)
    Ideally I would have had a normal GCCF show beforehand to check my ideas would work.
    But I think everythink will work on the day. (Fingers crossed!)

BTW do many people do nothing for pen decoration?

Also is the Supreme Show quite loud normally -either the public address or visitors? I heard one year the loudspeakers were little loud for some cats?
    And do we have any idea about what time approximately our breed class is likely to be called up for judging in the ring?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice