Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GCCF Genetic Register ... Help

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cosmills, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I either going mad or don't understand it

Note 8a. Any Self or Tortie BSH cat with a Colourpointed BSH Parent will be registered on the Supplementary and Non-Active Registers or, if the application is for registration on the Active Register, the cat shall also be placed on the Genetic Register.
    Colourpointed offspring of these cats on the Genetic Register may be registered in the normal way.
    Any Self or Tortie BSH offspring of these cats shall continue to be registered on the Non-Active or Genetic Registers (as above) unless accompanied by a DNA test showing that this specific offspring does not carry the Siamese gene, when they may registered on the Active Register without restriction.

I have registered one of Rosie's kitten on Active she is a blue cream , out of a Colourpoint and self mating

It's say she should be on the supp register which she is CSSR and will also be put in the genetic register too ... I have read this will be stated on the reg certificate ... IT'S NOT !!!!!!

Also it should say she carries CP but again it doesn't mention it

Which has really confused me as the others do say it

Has anyone got a explanation ..... Have. Registered her wrongly ????

British blue cream 28

2. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

This forms a 'halfway house', applies only to cats on the Active register and is controlled by the Registration Policy for the Breed.

If a cat is on the Active Register but the registration form also dictates that it is on the Genetic Register (which will be printed on the registration form) then the cat can be bred from but there will some restriction on the registration of the kittens. It used for cats which are known to carry genes (a) of a undesirable genetic disorder or (b) of a colour or pattern, the spread of which within that breed is controlled. The animals themselves are fit and healthy or of a correct colour pattern and if mated to a suitable cat will produce some kittens which are suitable to be used to continue the line. Whether they are or not can be determined by a simple DNA test for the presence or absence of the undesirable gene. This register has been in use for some years but as there is an increase in the possibility of gene testing, it is likely to be used more widely to free cats for breeding that would otherwise have been banned because of possible inherited problems in the past. This has the beneficial effect of increasing the gene pool available without passing on the problem.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If she is a blue-cream then the breed number is correct regardless of which register she's on. If she's a blue-cream point then it's wrong.

I guess the note is from the registration policy:
    http://www.gccfcats.org/regpols/BSHregpol.pdf

What register have they put her on? CS? CSSR? CSREF? CSEXP? e.g. what are the letters in front of her registration number? It would help if the policy explained what the Genetic Register is!

However this link does:
    the Governing Council of the Cat Fancy

It's not very good wording - 'disease/condition' to me implies a health problem. However she is on it because she carries colourpoint, and the BSH policy seems aimed at ensuring that selfs & torties don't produce colourpoint offspring. I have no idea why - Siamese with Oriental parents are on the Supplementary register (CSSR) but there are plenty of them around, and some are good show cats. As the BSH Registration policy explains, any of her offspring that gene test clear for colourpoint can go on the normal or supplementary register, as of course can any colourpoint offspring.

This attempt to produce pure breeds isn't necessarily in the best interests of the BSH cats as it will cause a reduction in genetic diversity. There are similar problems with Siamese / Oriental registration policies, and a very well-known judge and breeder has written an article about this - it's the first one, "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck ……."

http://harislau.co.uk/articlesfs.htm

All BSH have the same basic standard for shape and coat texture, though one would wonder at this comparing the lovely chunky bodies and crisp coat with 'breaks' or 'cracks' usually found on the traditional colours (black, blue etc.) at a show, and the small cats with awfully soft and somewhat long coats on some other breeds. Without naming breeds, I've come across BSH males who weigh no more than my Oriental queen - they are far too lacking in size and substance.

Too much separation into different breeds & colours (for registration) is really not going to help in the long run.

4. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

She is not pointed (Blue Tortie)
    Ref is CSSR

I cannot understand why on her certificate it does not state carries CP when all the others state it in there's , also silver in ped is not mention on hers

I have emailed GCCF about this, as I really cannot get my head around it

We only got one CP from the mating

Cream self
    Blue tortie tabbies
    Blue tortie tabby CP

So why is she so different from the blue tortie tabby girls ... Apart from the agouti

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If the mating can produce tabby cats I believe the cream should be registered as a cream tabby unless proved to be non-agouti with a gene test.

6. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

She is registered as a cream tabby .. As I have not tested her , no point really as she is not staying and pet only

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I rem that a bi & a CP mating = genetic register/not to be shown for any bis from that litter, but I have been told that its changed now and they can be shown and not on the gentic reg?

8. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

But surly it must state in her reg cert that she Carries CP and over stamped genetic registered .... Unless they don't count blue cream as tortie ... But I cannot see that

I don't know ... It was by chance I looked at it as was looking for something else

Well I will wait until GCCF get back to me

9. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Just had a email for. GCCF ... They got it wrong ... Apparently their computer systems are not upto date and have to add carriers CP manually ... WTF

Will see if it gets over stamped with genetic register ... Watch this space

10. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Just had Amber's reg certificate through the post this morning ... It now says

On genetic register carries Cp

Pleased I got it changed ... What a mare

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice