Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gastroplexy for prevention of bloat?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Irish Setter Gal, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

First of all a gastropexy will not prevent a bloat, it will prevent a torsion, the two are not the same.

A dog can bloat without having a torsion.

A dog can have a torsion without bloating.

A dog can bloat AND have a torsion.

Secondly some people do choose to have elective gastropexies in their dogs BEFORE it occurs, a breeder I know used to do it and many military dogs have this done.

I personally would never have an elective done, but I WOULD have a gastropexy done if my dog had been opened up for torsion.

You also need to investigate the differing methods.

3. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Vet explained all of the above -

Seeking advice from somebody who'd experienced an elective as opposed to a reactive gastroplexy together with their reasoning.

It's not a routine op for my vets since it's not a standalone costed item on their books but since it's something they recommend I consider based on his first years history. I'm pretty certain it won't be covered under insurance as it's classed as preventative rather than curative of a problem that may or may not actually happen during his lifetime which would mean me having to pay upfront for it.

Thanks for replying though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice