Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gastrointestinal food isn’t popular

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tony Gussin, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Tony Gussin

Tony Gussin PetForums Newbie

Hi, my cat has been diagnosed with either severe IBD or possibly an intestinal lymphoma, the vet says the symptoms are very similar.
    He has lost a lot of weight (we nearly lost him) and has had diarrhoea and bouts of sickness.
    The vet wants him on RC Gastrointestinal food only, except for maybe very bland chicken or fish.
    The first couple of days he guzzled the RC wet food, now he will barely touch it.
    He is still eating the biscuits, but he’s acting as if he really wants food, yet won’t touch the meat when it’s put down.
    I really want to get more wet food into him to help with hydration levels, but the vet said normal food would be far too rich for him.
    They only seem to stock the RC brand and have no alternative.
    It doesn’t help that it’s a strong beefy flavour that smells like gravy and he’s just not keen.
    Why they don’t at least make another couple of flavours I don’t understand?

Please can anyone suggest another brand or alternate flavours of approved gastrointestinal food he might eat?

2. Mrs Rh

Mrs Rh PetForums Junior

I feel your pain! I’ve must of spent £120 last month on food!. Mine hates RC gastro but liked RC sensitive control…however I still add Felix (only one he likes) i to it. It really did help. There is a Hills alternative…but mine hates that too! X

Tony Gussin likes this.
  3. Tony Gussin

Many thanks, yes going to look at mixing something with it.
    Need to call the vet tomorrow and get some sense from them, not just ‘that’s all there is, he’ll eat it when he’s hungry’

I see Purina do a gastro food with chicken or salmon flavours? Nearly bought some today but I’m wary of giving him the wrong thing as his stomach seems so sensitive at the moment. Going to ask the vet first.

4. Mrs Rh

Mrs Rh PetForums Junior

Another problem I found (learn from my mistakes), is every time he turned it down, I tried something else…thus costing me a fortune.

Hills I/d has got a good ratings but both of mine turned it down! It would be good if you could just buy 1 packet to see what worked. RC sensitive control, mixed in with the food he liked is your best option. Zooplus is the best place to buy…have a look at the reviews, that may help.

ps…the whole bland food (chicken and rice) never worked for me. I did purchase canned pumpkin though (Amazon) but be careful not to add too much (half teaspoon)…google it,

Tony Gussin likes this.
  5. Tony Gussin

Many thanks. Did you try the Purina gastro food?
    It appears to be the same spec as the RC but I want a vets advice in case I’m feeding him the wrong thing.
    If I put Felix gravy down he’d scoff it all day, but last time that happened he had very bad diarrhoea and had to go to hospital for a night in the end as his stomach flared up and he became dehydrated.

6. Mrs Rh

Mrs Rh PetForums Junior

Yes I tried Purina but Stanley didn’t like it…not tried Frank on it though. Ironically just ordered some more RC Sensitive (48 packs) and they have both refused it!! This cat parent thing is bloody hard! However I’ve just order a probiotic from Amazon that has excellent reviews…comes tomorrow. I will let you know how that works x

ps…I must say that both Stanley (12 weeks) and Frank (7 weeks) are both ferals living on bird seed when I rescued them…so they have other factors going on (just de-wormed, new home, new diet etc), I’m trying to stop the chronic diarrhoea in Frank (as I did with Stan) x

Tony Gussin likes this.
  7. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Give him boiled chicken or fish with broth. These foods never suited my cats

Tony Gussin likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

The above is fine for a short time but is not suitable for long term use as it does not contain all the nutrients a cat needs .

Tony Gussin and Forester like this.
  9. Mrs Rh

Mrs Rh PetForums Junior

This has really helped! I bought it from Amazon. £10 x

Attached Files:

Tony Gussin likes this.
  10. Chloe...Elizabeth

Chloe...Elizabeth PetForums Junior

We’ve had both the chicken and the salmon Purina food and the salmon was the clear favourite I would say.

Tony Gussin likes this.
  11. Tony Gussin

Thanks for all your suggestions folks.

So, update. The Purina chicken food proved mildly popular for about one morning, then he wouldn’t touch it!
    However… also got some RC Gastrointestinal dry food from the vet and he actually likes that and is still eating it.
    It’s a complete food so the vet is happy if that’s all he eats, but also giving him some boiled chicken to break it up a bit.
    His appetite is a bit erratic and he’s clearly missing more tasty things, but he IS eating at least and after the bout of diarrhoea he has since put on 140g again.
    Poor thing is still very thin but things seem stable so hoping we’re moving in the right direction.

This is him earlier today…

D0CF46F2-6FE8-499D-9759-915FCCD064B9.jpeg

Mrs Rh likes this.
  12. Mrs Rh

Mrs Rh PetForums Junior

Tony…he is gorgeous, a little thin I agree, however his coat looks good. I’ve still got terrible of my own…mine are refusing RC sensitive and are only eating Felix kitten which makes them worse. I am trying pumpkin in their food next.

13. LittleEms

LittleEms Little tinkers Bugsy & Bee, and old Mr. Charlie

He looks lovely :)

I tried all the gastro foods with my two, Hills was the most popular if you haven’t tried it yet. With the chicken, cook it in water and then add some of that into the meal for some extra fluid, especially if he’s just having dry food. Plus it makes it extra yummy :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice