UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask for help as I know a lot of you are wet-food only, but our wee saga with Theo’s weight and condition continues… around 4 months ago when he was 10 months we changed him to wet food only, had him on a little stint of forti flora and gastro intestinal wet food at the advice of the vet and then settled to a mixed wet food diet, some grain free some not, just going with the favourites of the moment! He was on the thinner side then but it was felt he would fill out and was basically fine just maybe needing a tiny bit support.

Since then he had totally adapted to wet food and seems to eat ok generally but his weight has dropped from 3.2kg to 3kg and he looks ropier than ever (now 14 months). Before we condition scored him at 3.5ish as did the vets but now all agreed definitely too thin.
:cry: I was kind of hoping they might say the same old “he’ll fill out” but have thought all along myself that there was more to it so happy to investigate.

Basically at the moment vet recommends adding a gastro support high quality dry his existing wet food and also forti flora for 1 month, then, if no weight gain or any loss, doing full blood tests.

(The dry recommendation is because his weight has dropped since coming off it and when we have added it back in in last week or so, he has eaten much more. I asked about dehydration and kidneyhealth and they were not concerned with water available and wet food still primary.)

I have been researching types tonight but a bit stuck. Found one good Royal canin supporting digestion but was lower calorie and definitely don’t want that! Higher calorie Royal Canin or Pro Plan don’t seem to have particular digestive support. Just wondered if anyone had any tips?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Following as my cat has become very underweight over the past 2 months after pancreatitis. He’s at the vet this week being treated - the vet is expecting him to gain weight after only 2.5 days. I’m trying not to panic about what to feed him when he’s home.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Hi all,

I’m not sure if this is the best place to ask for help as I know a lot of you are wet-food only, but our wee saga with Theo’s weight and condition continues… around 4 months ago when he was 10 months we changed him to wet food only, had him on a little stint of forti flora and gastro intestinal wet food at the advice of the vet and then settled to a mixed wet food diet, some grain free some not, just going with the favourites of the moment! He was on the thinner side then but it was felt he would fill out and was basically fine just maybe needing a tiny bit support.

Since then he had totally adapted to wet food and seems to eat ok generally but his weight has dropped from 3.2kg to 3kg and he looks ropier than ever (now 14 months). Before we condition scored him at 3.5ish as did the vets but now all agreed definitely too thin.
:cry: I was kind of hoping they might say the same old “he’ll fill out” but have thought all along myself that there was more to it so happy to investigate.

Basically at the moment vet recommends adding a gastro support high quality dry his existing wet food and also forti flora for 1 month, then, if no weight gain or any loss, doing full blood tests.

(The dry recommendation is because his weight has dropped since coming off it and when we have added it back in in last week or so, he has eaten much more. I asked about dehydration and kidneyhealth and they were not concerned with water available and wet food still primary.)

I have been researching types tonight but a bit stuck. Found one good Royal canin supporting digestion but was lower calorie and definitely don’t want that! Higher calorie Royal Canin or Pro Plan don’t seem to have particular digestive support. Just wondered if anyone had any tips?

Thanks so much!
[/Q
@huckybuck gives Virbac I believe.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh that looks very good. Haven’t heard of that at all but just looked it up and looks like the digestive health one might be just what I’m looking for.. thank you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following as my cat has become very underweight over the past 2 months after pancreatitis. He’s at the vet this week being treated - the vet is expecting him to gain weight after only 2.5 days. I’m trying not to panic about what to feed him when he’s home.
Sorry to hear about your wee cat. Hope he’s on the mend very soon!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi its good you wont to give kitty the right food but why have,nt blood tests been taken antway ?
Do you think I should be pushing for them done now rather than waiting to see if a little support can help? I wasn’t sure.

I didn’t put this in original post just to try and keep it from being too long winded but it’s been a combination of the video vets through First Vet with our insurance and our own in-person vet we’ve chatted to about this back a few months ago. Because I wasn’t sure whether it was all normal or was worth hiking him up to the vets for, I had video consultation first last time, though I then did decide to take him to our own vets. At that time (in late Feb) our actual vets were very much of the opinion that it was just his age and he’d fill out, but also that due to having a bit of a scrawny start (he was small in litter and had cat flu as a little kitten) he might just need some support on and off, forti flora etc. So that’s how things were left with them.

It was a FirstVet video consultation I had yesterday, again as a first step, to chat to and show them him and it was the vet there who agreed he’s looking too thin now and recommended the food change and then if no help from this looking at blood tests. So that was my plan, especially as cats are due at vets in a month exactly for jags.

But would take him sooner if thought necessary, would you? I just don’t know what’s involved in bloods and didn’t want to put him through any stress if not necessary, if diet could solve - though for my own peace of mind now I would kind of like to have a good picture of anything going on.

sorry for all the background, I realise now I should have found his old thread and re started it but thanks for reading!! :)

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,539 Posts
I would look at the quality of the feed currently being fed, rather than start on dry. We've no idea what you are currently feeding, but all cat food is labelled on the tins / pouches with calorific content, for example Feringa Single Meat Menu:

Energy per 100g:
Chicken with Pumpkin & Catnip: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 433 kJ / 103 kcal
Rabbit with Parsnips & Catnip: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 430 kJ / 103 kcal
Lamb with Potato & Cat Thyme: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 436 kJ / 104 kcal
Salmon with Potato & Parsley: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 556 kJ / 133 kcal
Duck with Cottage Cheese & Valerian: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 522 kJ / 125 kcal
Veal with Broccoli & Dandelion: ME (FEDIAF, 2021) 511 kJ / 122 kcal

And will he eat more if it's offered? If it's hot he may well eat less than usual.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you. Both cats are on a range of foods basically just tailored to what they’ll eat at the time - Smilla, Feringa, Animonda Carney, Felix AGAIL (generally their favourite), Webbox, Rosie’s Farm, Tesco pate. I will have a look at the calorie contents of all. We are aware the grain free and sugar free and high meat content are better than non but unfortunately we do struggle to get cats motivated to eat those - they love AGAIL and the Tesco pates best of all.

Food is always on offer and freshened up if left but they’re not big eaters - though last time on forti flora Theo’s appetite increased so maybe that will help get more in.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,512 Posts
@SbanR is right - I have Virbac HPM Gastro to Little H for IBD. I researched the dry vet diets and it came out as the highest meat content. He loves it (they all do) so it’s very palatable and it def did the job of getting him to put the weight back on.

So much so I had to stop it lol! The cats now get it as a “treat” but I always have it just in case any of them are poorly. Just wish they did a wet version.

If you do end up giving dry then make sure there are lots of water bowls/vessels around to remind them to drink more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi as kitty as had cat flu there a possibility he might be suffering prolonged gingivitis which is inflammation of the mouth try some very soft food webbox lisk e lix try Made with a soft yoghurt-like texture, Webbox lick-e-Lix are the totally new and unique treat for your cat. Feed as a tasty treat, use as a topping or disguise crushed up tablets for your cat.

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,539 Posts
Hi as kitty as had cat flu there a possibility he might be suffering prolonged gingivitis which is inflammation of the mouth try some very soft food webbox lisk e lix try Made with a soft yoghurt-like texture, Webbox lick-e-Lix are the totally new and unique treat for your cat. Feed as a tasty treat, use as a topping or disguise crushed up tablets for your cat.
How about having the vet check the state of his mouth rather than guessing?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you @huckybuck that’s really helpful :). It sounds like just what we’re looking for. I do worry though at putting him off wet food more especially if he’ll fall in love with it. Agree a shame they don’t do wet too! I was quite happy to have left dry behind but ultimately want him eating well and thriving and happy to give Vet’s advice a go.

Thank you @TIGGS1 for your idea, will certainly bear the possibility of gingivitis in mind. Don’t worry @OrientalSlave I’m making sure everything I’m doing is in conjunction with vet, which is why I’m going this route, I think @TIGGS1 was just offering an idea and I’m very grateful for everyone who’s replied’s help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe feed in conjunction with wet (which is what I do now) and once the weight is back on you an gradually reduce it and increase the wet.
Sorry @huckybuck I thought I’d answered this one! Yes that’s my plan, thanks again!! :)

At the moment while I waited to get ordered / delivered I’ve continued to feed their smilla dry food daily in addition to their wet which is also meant to be highly digestible, and tried to move the wet back more heavily to the grain free of the ones they eat on rotation.

Hadn’t yet started on forti flora or on the Virbac but unfortunately our wee boy now has quite bad diarrhoea so have made him an emergency appointment for tomorrow morning. Started onforti flora and the pro plan digestive help wet food that our vet recommends he go on when his stomach is bad. Will see what they say tomorrow but I hope to push for doing bloods to try to figure out what’s up as I don’t want this going round and round for him if there’s something underlying we can be addressing.

will report back!
Thanks again all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about getting a stool sample to check?
I did wonder about that when I was examining the litter tray today! Will see what they say about that, thanks so much.
@UnderThePaw be careful with the fortiflora. It can cause diarrhoea in some cats. It did to my boy, even when I tried a really tiny pinch on his food
Thank you, I’ll keep an eye out. Someone on here warned me about that last time but he was already started on it by then and it did seem to help and he didn’t have any upset with it so I’m hopeful it’ll be the same this time.

Really appreciate all the help!! 😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts