Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gastro Bug....Insurance query?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by nicdon, Aug 24, 2013.

1. nicdon

nicdon PetForums Newbie

Hey there,

Can someone help and advise. I have a wee Lhasa, and he will be 2 next week. This week he was really ill with vomiting and bloody poo's and was admitted to doggy hospital, on a drip, meds, xrays, antib's etc. We got him home today, so building him up now, poor wee dote, has lost so much weight this week.

Anyway, I was panicking as we didn't have him insured and dreaded really big bills, (it was mentioned he may needed surgery as they though partial obstruction). Thankfully he didn't but still, its given me a kick up the backside now to insure him.

I am confused.. The vet said to get lifetime cover. But say, he gets gastro again, will he be covered? Will his recent illness be classed as an excisting illness even when he fully recovers? Surly, its a tummy bug and any dog could get it.

Thanks in advance.

Ps, Also, can someone point me to an easy explained site.

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear the poor wee mite's been so ill but glad he's on the road to recovery now

Insurance is really a must if you can't afford to cover large bills yourself (and they can very quickly be run up - eg an MRI to diasnose multiple things can easily be a couple of thousand :eek:)

Lifetime cover - where the money limit resets every year - is the best cover

ie £7k cover per year .... use £3k and it'll renew to £7k next year - some lifetime policies have an amount per condition so if you used £3k this year, then there's only £4k left for the rest of the pets lifetime

There are good and bad companies - I'd advise getting a couple of quotes and maybe posting back and asking what others' experiences have been with the companies you've looked at

Petplan is generally considered to be the best - but they are expensive* so I'd personally do a quote with them first as a benchmark to compare others to

* I recently did a quote with them for Maisie and they actually came out cheaper than John Lewis which was a surprise!

Also - ask you vet which companies they will allow direct claims to be made to - it's all very well having cover but if it's a large bill and your vet wants paying & you then to claim the money back, it can still be a struggle to find the funds to do this

ETA yes tummy things may be excluded - Maisie had a bug (3 days before her exclusion period ended when I got her!) and I've been told these will count as a pre-existing condition. Down the line, I may argue the case if it happens again - as you say, a bug is a bug and one is extremely unlikely to be related to another way down the line

BUT even if these are excluded, it's still worth having .....

#2 Lilylass, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

During my recent lengthy discussions following an hefty increase in renewal premium, I was told that anything on your vet's records that showed clinical symptoms will be considered a pre-existing condition and be excluded.

My vet did offer to talk to PetPlan and was fairly confident they would exclude lumps if I changed to them (Poppy had a benign tumour of the hair follicle removed during the previous year) but PP were already more expensive than the increased renewal premium with my existing company.

I think it would be worth enquiring of any company you are considering whether they would exclude gastro or any tummy conditions, see exactly where you stand before committing.

#3 DirtyGertie, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

From personal experience with insurance I would say that there is a good chance that anything digestive tract wise you will not be covered. One of mine had diarrhoea due to coccidia protozoan parasites and worms when she was a pup in the rehoming centre before I got her, buy the time I adopted her she was clear and thinking it was a one off and irrelevant anyway I declared it when I took out the insurance. An exemption was put on for disorders of the digestive tract full stop. They did however say that if she remained digestive tract problem free for a year, that they would consider removing the exemption, which they did, but it would be something that you would have to discuss when you get a quote. with whatever respective companies you obtain quotes from.

Most insurers now ask for a full clinical history with your first claim at least whatever it is, so anything on your records previously claimed for or not can and does get seen.

The reason that the vet has told you to get lifelong or lifetime cover is because some policies are limited to 12months, meaning that whatever your dog gets you can only claim for 12months from the date of illness or accident.
    This means that if you get a re-occurring illness, a similar illness, or a life time condition that needs ongoing medication, or later complications after 12months you cannot claim anymore.

With lifetime or lifelong, you will have a yearly amount of cover for vet bills, and it doesn't matter how many claims you have had the year before and for what, as long as you renew with them then the whole insured for yearly amount will be re-instated in full to use again the next year, which will mean all the things you couldn't go on claiming for on the 12mth limited policy you still can on this type.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice