Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Garry Mckinnon Extradition to America

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by james1, Aug 1, 2009.

1. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

For all of those with a facebook account join this group IMMEDIATE.

The guy is British, the government are sitting on their hands - hes facing 60 years!! in American prisons for causing just $700,000 of damage to NASA with a home computer. He suffers from Aspergers and has just lost his appeal. SHOCKING!

If your members of any other forums please copy this and try to gain some support

FREE GARY MCKINNON | Facebook

garymckinnon.tk

appauling
    Gary McKinnon should be extradited, court rules | World news | The Guardian

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

well he shouldnt have hacked should he lol.

dont do the crime if ya cant do the time.

at least the states gives decent prison sentences.

asbergers is NO excuse.

shall we have a petition for gary glitter next?

FREE SPIRIT likes this.
  3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Although I do not agree with him being extradited I'm not entirely satisfied that the public are recieving the full facts of the story, there are many inconsistencies which have failed to be explained by the press.

1) He was diagnosed with Aspergers only after his legal team advised him to be examined by a psychiatrist. So it's fair to assume that throughout his life, he had never exhibited symptoms serious enough to affect his life in a detrimental manner.

2) His first job as a hairdresser is not typical for a person with a condition which includes serious problems revolving around social interaction.

I support Gary being tried here - and he has already admitted being guilty of what I will call "vandalism", but this whole Aspergers thing sits unsatisfactory to me.
    I am sure he may suffer from borderline Aspergers.
    But I will say a lot of the sympathy he is receiving seems to be part of a manufactured campaign by his defense team. If he had a serious form of Aspergers he would never have worked as a hairdresser.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

repped ya.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If he did it it's his own fault :rolleyes: Aspergers or not.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Kick him out and let the US deal with it.

He should have dealt with this years ago, instead of being the coward he has been.

UFO's? Yeah right :rolleyes:

7. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I won't be signing it that's for certain. If you commit the crime then you deserve to be punished.

8. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My son has Aspergers and he doesn't automatically know what is wrong and what is right and struggles with the concept of actions having repercussions, . So we have to explain almost everything to him to give him the type of understanding that most of us are lucky enough to get naturally. Hairdressing is probably one of the last jobs he would be able to do for many reasons, so I also wonder if this aspergers diagnosis could be a clever legal team ploy.

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

That was my opinon, with Autism there are many different compulsions that although he may have know it worng doent mean he was able to stop himself. I find it Embarrassing that the Extradition Act...... enacted for terrorists to be removed without any evidence is being used in this case. There is no supporting evidence for the amount of damage he actually caused as the US are not providing it. I find it astonishing a British subject can be extradited for a 60 year sentence when we have a penal system more than capable of handling him.
    Im not saying he shouldnt serve time but I am saying there is no difference between here and the US in this Case. We keep people like Abdu Hamza here simply because of his human rights but when it comes to a Briton who has a mental condition we roll over and say yes, take him by the short and curlies. Personally I think its a massife failure on the British Government surrendering to bigger cousins

#9 james1, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

how come this so called illnesswasnt picked up earlier then?

he fully functioned and interacted socially before getting nabbed.

just a tactic employed to get him off, his defence team have been watching too much law and order on hallmark.

11. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Hes 43 years old, so as with many things around this era picking up individual cases is not really a forte of our social services, there is ample scope for him slipping through the net, though I am merely defending him now.
    Hes a nervous wreck and suicidal and yet it seems even the public want him extradited (going by this forum) .... there is no reason to use these laws against someone diagnosed - late in life or not with a mental illness. The failure is only another black mark on the current Government in not adequately protecting its people.

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

So you're saying he shouldnt be punished for his crime?

He knew what he was doing, he's aware now of what he's done, so i see no reason why he shouldnt pay for his breaking of US law.

I dont care if he has cancer, illness is no excuse if the person is fully aware. Have aspergers doesnt mean you dont know right from wrong. Tbh, if i was facing 40 odd years in prison, id probably be suicidal as well. they've already said his sentence would have mean lighter had he faced the music years ago.

Zero sympathy from me.

13. davehyde

davehyde Banned

he was offered a deal but it looks like he turned it down.
    more fool him.

14. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

have you read anything I have written at all!?

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have.

Your point?

16. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I totally agree. He knew what he was doing. I have no sympathy.

17. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

He was yes, but having lost all sense of reality and all abilities to function normally I can see his reasons for not wanting to be put in a max security, gang infested, kill before your breakfast, no woman penetantiary.

Anyway - I think he needs our support.

18. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

my point is (to go over the first page so quickly), is that he should be punnished but not using these laws and certainly not to a max class prison where no family contact can be had and where understanding to his condition is removed.
    He may know right from wrong but with Autism and what little is know about it - how was he supposed to stop himself

(if you understand this)

#18 james1, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  19. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

He does not need our supprt as he has committed a crime - thats the end of it.

Does that mean then that if he had raped and abused children, you would still be supporting him because of his Aspergers?

Im sorry, but fair enough some people have diminished responsibility. But from what I have seen of him on the TV/Internet, something just doesnt ring true.

You have to realise that posting something like this - although im sure its not meant to be in dog chat - is bound to get peoples emotions going as we all feel differently about it. You have to let people air their views, just as you have aired yours.

Can I ask why you feel so strongly about this case?

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He should have thought about the consequences of his actions. Jail is a punishment, its not a day care centre.

Im not sure you know what autism or aspergers is. I deal with someone on an almost daily basis with aspergers, and they dont break the law. They can control themselves and their actions, its the way they interact with other people that is affected.

If he had the intelligence to hack a high security computer system, im pretty sure he had the brains to know he could very well be punished for doing so.

Im not convinced by all the mental health BS his legal team are spewing out. Sounds like desperate measures to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice