Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Garlic?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ellenlouisepascoe, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Thought I would have a little ask as I hear mixed views on whether garlic is good or bad for dogs.

After we had Blade for a couple of weeks he got into the rubbish bin and ate 1 slice of garlic bread, he projectile vomited and had the runs pretty much none stop for 24 hours , it was everywhere like he couldn't stop himself and he didn't know it was coming. He threw up all over his bed, all over our bed, all over the sofa , up the walls it was horrendous. When we took him to the vet and told her he had eaten garlic bread she told us it was no wonder he was so ill as it can irritate their stomach which causes them to "evacuate" all their contents.

However I do see a lot of home made dog treats and suggestions to feed your dog garlic to keep pests at bay.

I am guessing some dogs are more tolerant of it than others? I don't think I would risk Blade eating it again.

2. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Arguments For the Use of Garlic
    Garlic is used in many commercial dog foods and is believed to possess antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. It may also improve liver function and is even believed to prevent heart disease. But one of the most popular reasons for giving garlic to dogs is to help control fleas. There are many different opinions as to why this works (or doesn’t). Some of these theories include that garlic raises or lowers the pH of the blood, making it undesirable to those little bloodsuckers. Others claim that it simply masks the smell of the dog, making them invisible to pests. I do not know which of these is actually true, but personally, I have seen it work wonderfully with some dogs and not with others. It might be a matter of getting the dosage right. It might also have to do with the individual dog’s body chemistry as well.
    Arguments Against the Use of Garlic
    The wide use of garlic in commercial dog foods and the sale of garlic tablets for dogs would make garlic appear to be safe for dogs. However, garlic and dogs do not always mix. Garlic has many healing properties, but it also contains a chemical compound called thiosulphate. This compound can be toxic in extremely high levels, causing hemolytic anemia in dogs. This is a serious, life threatening condition for your dog. So, yes garlic can be toxic to dogs.
    But, this too is a matter of dosage. The garlic found in dog treats, dog food, and garlic tablets designed for dogs is not likely to cause this toxic reaction. They would have to eat something like 50 cloves (not bulbs, cloves) for a medium sized dog to get enough to cause a toxic reaction. A clove is one of the little sections. You would know it if your dog ate enough to cause a toxic reaction, you would be missing a lot of garlic! That would equally approximately 10-20 bulbs, depending on the variety.

3. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Cian has eaten garlic, and we have all his training treat stinking of it..

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

yep i use garlic for keeping fleas at bay, in fact they've never had fleas, i also put it in to some dog treats too

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

If it were my dog I would have suspected that it was the fat/butter of the garlic bread that was the problem rather than the garlic itself.

6. ellenlouisepascoe

If it was a take away one I would have thought so too but it was one I made myself, and rather than using butter I used Garlic Olive oil and chopped 1 clove of garlic for the entire thing ( was about a 12 inch garlic bread )

I keep reading about all the health benefits of garlic I am just too afraid to even try it after that episode :(

7. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

8. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

We give garlic in some form.

I imagine it was probably the bread or fat that made him sick. He did something similar involving a digestive biscuit didn't he?

9. ellenlouisepascoe

Yes he wad given a digestive by my FIL and had the mega runs , maybe he has quite a bad wheat intolerance? Or lactose intolerant ?

10. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

Well garlic bread and biscuits both contain wheat so it's probably that not that garlic. Mine love garlic powder mixed with mince or wet food in their stuffed hooves. :)

11. ellenlouisepascoe

I might try him with a little garlic again, I know all it's health benefits we used to feed garlic to my horses I think I just sometimes take the vets word as gospel and she told me it was bad for them.

Can you use the same garlic powder you buy for horses with the dogs? x

12. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Yes you can, but obviously in smaller quantities

13. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

We give our horses garlic - Its all for keeping the flies at bay and is good for their immune system. Surely a little bit every now and then is fine :)

I love GARLIC :D

14. Cheryl89

I've also heard conflicting advice... My vet said it's poison and I read online it's actually good for them.... erggggggggggg

Maybe I need a new vet :001_rolleyes: x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice