Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Garlic

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Helbo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I started a thread about medications and I asked a question about Garlic that nobody has answered.

Basically, I'd rather try natural preventatives to fleas/ticks rather than putting chemicals on my dog monthly for the rest of his life.

So to those of you who use garlic -

1) what do you use - cloves? powder? liquid?
    2) what dose do you use and how many times a week?
    3) any comments about this form of preventative?

Thanks

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I'm very confused about garlic. I've read that you can't give a dog garlic, and I've read that you can :confused:.

Sorry that's not a lot of help to you.

3. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

I chop a whole clove and mix it with their tea. Usually only when I remember:eek: which is couple of times amonth. Many people ask if it works, all I can say is we don't have any fleas or ticks. I do live in the country too and walk in woods and fields a lot

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My oldest bitch has an allergic reaction to 'Spot On' etc so from about now until the end of September I give her Dorwest garlic tablets for dogs.

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I read somewhere that garlic is a cousin of onion and is therefore dangerous to dogs. But my mum used to feed leftover casserole etc with onions in to our dogs and it was never a problem.

I think theres a lot of scaremongering on the internet about stuff like this.

All I know is Charlie had homemade beefburger at the weekend with onion and no ill effects. And a few days ago when I found out there had been a hedgehog in the garden I crushed a small clove and mixed it with some food and again no ill effects.

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

garlic is only dangerous to dogs in pretty large quantities i beleive. its perfectly fine to give them it in smaller doses.

i dont use it with mine, but its something i might start considering.

7. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think with everything the key is moderation.

A little bit of everything is good, a lot of anything can be bad.

8. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

As a member of the allium family, garlic can be dangerous, but you'd have to give a LOT. Onions are very dangerous as are other allium plants (lily etc) as they can oxidise the red blood cells. You should never feed onion, although again, quite a bit woudl be needed to endanger your dog.

Re flea prevention, I never found it very effective (on the horse) and I read an article on how it can thin the skin so if your dog has any skin issues, I would avoid it.

A lot of recipes for dogs include garlic eg liver cake (2-3 cloves in one pound of liver and one half pound of flour which takes about a week for my three to eat as treats)

So you can give it, but don't give loads. If you do give it, I'd want to use cloves so you can see exactly how much you're giving. It's easy to be too generous with granules/powder.

9. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Must admit I was worried as I kept reading that garlic can cause anemia in dogs and some other things. After researching I found this site that seems to answer most questions. I have posted it before so apologies if you have already seen it, but it is quite helpful.

Garlic for Dogs | Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your replies.

I don't think I'd give garlic every day to my dog, I was thinking more like crushing a small clove once or twice a week during summer, and probably less during winter.

As some have said, If I were going on holiday camping or something then I think I'd use a chemical preventative. But I don't want to use chemicals regularly.

11. borderer

borderer Guest

my dogs get garlic and onion in all there meals no ill effects my oldest dog is 16

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I give mine fresh cloves. I add 4 or 5 cloves to 500g of fruit and veg, blend and then freeze in ice cube trays. I feed this as part of the BARF diet, and the dogs get between 2 and 7 ice cube sized portions per day, depending on their size (ranges from 7kg to 70kg), so the amount they are getting everyday is quite minimal.

Mine have never had fleas and garlic is the only flea preventative we've used for a couple of years now (along with tea tree oil spray before walks in summer), and we live rurally- dogs are walked in fields/woodland everyday, and through fields of sheep, cattle etc.

13. cinnamontoast

Toxic Foods and Plants for Dogs Scroll down for info on onions. Small amounts may not harm, but large may/will. I think it's a bt stupid to risk it, TBH.

I had no idea about the fact tha grapes and chocolate were poisonous til quite recently and Jake loved grapes. From what i can gather, I was bloody lucky not to kill my dog giving him grapes cos a girl I know gave her dog only three and he died. Equally, the chocolate thing-dogs accidentally got chocolate, was on death's door for days, luckily survived. Don't risk it, I reckon. (onions, I mean)

14. xamtex

xamtex PetForums Newbie

my rottie pup has fresh chicken or beef pet mince fried with a clove of garlic chopped finely mixed with kibble 2 or 3 times a day....he loves it.:smile:

15. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I think I'll stay away from the toxic foods from now on - like you said cinammontoast - best not to risk it. But the 'facts' about garlic seem very fuzzy.

I'm hoping a small clove crushed into Charlie's dinner (approx 250g of food) twice a week during summer won't hurt

16. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'm looking after a Sprollie for the next 3 weeks-and he is a proper Tick magnet. 8 that I found after 1 walk yesterday.
    So I'm going to try Garlic on just him and see if it improves.
    I got up this morning to big blobs of blood all over my kitchen floor-I panicked checking dogs and started looking for the cats, when I realised they were Ticks that had gorged, fallen off and been trodden in to the floor. I thoroughly checked him as well. I'm obviously missing the tiny ones.:mad:

17. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Try it out and let us know whether it works!!

18. cinnamontoast

Euw, euw, euw! I really cannot cope with those things! Honestly, I'd rather clean up poo/sick. I nearly threw up having to take them off Brig in the Lake District one year. :(

19. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Tell me about it, they make me feel sick:eek:
    I'm going to try the garlic anyway, I was thinking 2/3 cloves a week crushed in his food- but it may not prove anything as hes only here for 3 weeks. If it works I dont know whether it would be straight away or not?

20. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I suspect it's probably like when we take garlic to avoid mozzies on holiday. After a few doses the flies usually stay away. And if they do bite for a taste, they don't stay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice