Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Garlic Granules

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LolaBoo, Aug 22, 2013.

1. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Ive read about so many forum members having used garlic in their dogs food to help against the prevention of fleas, ive never tried it with Lola coz shes a fussy eater so didnt want to add to the problem
    When we got Apple i decided to try it on her because even tho she had been flead before she came into the country she scratched like a loon, any way since using it she dosnt scratch i cant believe how well it works, other then garlic breath and garlic smelling poos haha its best thing i did so going to try Lola with it
    No point to this thread really other then this forum is great for finding out stuff like this id never have known about it otherwise :)

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It does work well, it's the only flea control we've used for years now and never had an outbreak, even with multiple dogs and living out in the sticks, although we use fresh cloves rather than granules. However, remember that too much is toxic! - and if you can smell it on their breath and stools it sounds like you are giving too much!

3. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I use it on my lot and even though i have cats wehich everyone said would bring in fleas i havent had any (touch wood) for years.The only time they get nomal flea treatment is when i get a foster in as they are usually covered in fleas so they all get done also supposed to stop worms as well

4. Prowl

Prowl Guest

I never use it because garlic is a member of the onion family and onions to my knowledge are one of the foods you shouldn't feed dogs because they are poisoness.

When I did feed it to my hens and dog I found they still got parasites so I think its a bit of an old wives tail that one.

5. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Fortunately garlic is perfectly safe to give dogs otherwise none of the following firms would be selling it specifically for dogs. ;)

Garlic Tablets for Dogs and Cats - Dorwest

Garlic Granules - Garlic for health - horses - dogs - Hilton Herbs

Denes Natural Pet Care - Garlic

Of course ANYTHING in excess is toxic, but Prowl, nobody is forcing you to give it to your animals.

As for being an Old Wives Tale, well many of these are fallacious and many have their origins in truth.

Garlic has so many plus points that I am happy to feed it to my dogs and myself (as I did to my horses when I had them).

None has expired from an OD................. ;)

6. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Thanks for that advice, i give 2 teaspoons a day, i think il cut her down to everyother day dont want to be giving her 2 much :)

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am giving my dogs half a tea spoon every other day and the pup a tip of the teaspoon, I'm using the powder and can only smell it on their breath after eating their dinner.

8. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

Yeah i can only smell it after shes eaten it, ive only been giving it a little while so i can alter her dose without any concern

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice