Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Games and other ideas for stressed dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Hello folks,
    As some of you know Bungo was 'attacked' on Tuesday, those who replied on my thread said to have some quiet days to let him de-stress.
    Sadly that wasn't possible yesterday as I had a visitor and Bungo clearly didn't enjoy the visit, but we had a quiet afternoon after the visitor left.

Anyhoo, B is being very barky and naughty today, clearly still very stressed and reacting to things and doing things he normally doesn't do.
    Therefore was hoping you all could give me some ideas for games and other things I could do to help 'get him off the ceiling' as it were.

So far, we are just staying in the courtyard for toilet breaks and going to a big area of grass beside the car park nearby when it's quiet.
    Been giving Bach RR.
    He is staying close.
    I've given him cardboard boxes and paper to shred and hidden some treats in a cardboard box.
    I've given him a chew.

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

How is he with being stroked? Long slow strokes down his back are very relaxing.

ETA: Just found this Victoria Stilwell video on dog massage

leashedForLife and ForestWomble like this.
  3. ForestWomble

Sometimes he allows me to stroke him, other times not so far today.

Thank you for the video, I've seen it before, I remember just watching it made me feel relaxed and I felt suddenly sleepy! lol
    I shall watch it again to remind myself what to do and give it a try later.

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Bit of training to engage his brain in something productive?
    Nice game of fetch or tug?

ForestWomble likes this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Things like chewing, which is a self rewarding activity gives them enjoyment and I always think its a relaxing activity, as my dogs spend time with a frozen Kong, Pizzles, cows ears the like. Hence leaving a frozen Kong to a puppy to help settle them when left....

You did say any ideas not just games.

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

I hid treats amongst paper in a box and we have been doing training through the day.

He doesn't really do fetch and we have had a few short games of tug, he doesn't seem that interested though as he stops to go and bark, but I will keep offering games.

He has a chew :)

leashedForLife likes this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In view of the fact that he only suffered a minor graze and wasn't injured physically, I would really try as far as possible to keep him in his normal routine.

It could be the change in routine that's causing his hyper behaviour.

8. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

You could try teaching him the Bucket Game? It also helps them to learn to settle on a mat too. Scent work is always good for tiring them mentally. Or you could try and teach him a new trick?

Or, you could see if he wants a walkies and then watch how he is when he's out; if he's looking worried, then come home and continue the stress holiday, if he's enjoying it then keep going, maybe throw some treats for him to find to up the mental stimulation.

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I agree with @Sweety. There were cross words, not a mauling, and whilst it was unpleasant I'm sure, he doesn't need to be treated any differently going forward. He needs to keep to his usual routine as to not make a big deal out of it. He's likely forgotten about it and picking up on your stress.

But if he is actually this badly affected at this stage after something so minor, I think a behaviourist wouldn't go amiss.

10. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

Sprinkles is quite calming for Pippin, basically scattering tiny pieces of some tasty smelly foods in the garden for him to find, keeps him amused for ages. Frozen kongs are another favourite as is doing some training, especially something a bit new so he has to use his brain as well

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree. I would expect most dogs to be resilient enough to shake this sort of thing off. Maybe he just wants to go for a walk!

leashedForLife and Rafa like this.
  12. ForestWomble

Thank you to those who have given suggestions.

To those who are saying he should just be able to 'shake this off' - Other things have been happening, little things, but as I'm sure you know, little things that normally can be shaken off, have all built up and the 'attack' on Tuesday was the last straw.
    I tried being normal yesterday (Wednesday) but Bungo was clearly not himself, so I decided to have a quiet day today, tomorrow I aim to 'play by ear' and hopefully be back to normal, or at least back to normal by Saturday.

@Kimmikins I shall have to google 'bucket game' sounds interesting.

leashedForLife and Kimmikins like this.
  13. ForestWomble

He is more settled this evening so hoping back to normal tomorrow! :)

leashedForLife, Jobeth and Kimmikins like this.
  14. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

That's great :)

Just an example of what I do when Fidget is having a bad day, something I've just done because my OH has said he's being a bit of a d*ck today! This is a sign he's a bit stressed or anxious, and shows up in extra woofiness, skittishness and an inability to settle.
    I popped him in the garden for a wee, and while he was out I hid 5-6 little treats around the house. He's pretty good at this game, so I hide them under duvets or cushions or in boxes to make it harder...I make sure I fluff all the cushions/duvets/curtains etc to make it harder to track and means he really has to work that nose. I also turn out some lights so he is having to work in the dark. He took about 10 mins to find all the treats, and then I gave him a stuffed chew toy to finish him off...this is him right now:
    IMG_3221.JPG

15. ForestWomble

Good ol' Fidget :)
    Lovely photo.

Bungo is a lot better this morning I'm delighted to say.

Kimmikins and MontyMaude like this.
  16. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

scent games are a good way of keeping them occupied, Suzanne Clothier has a good article with several good ideas and things to get you started.

http://suzanneclothier.com/pdfs/Scent Games.pdf

If you google scent games dogs, you should find lots of other ideas too.

Chewing is a good destresser too, don't know if you regularly give safe long lasting chews, but that is another good way to keep them happy and de-stressed.
    Obviously Kongs are good too either the classic ones, or the kong wobbler or busy buddy twist and treat that you can put kibble and small treats in.
    There are some good ideas for classic kong fillings and recipes on the link below if your running out of ideas.

http://www.kongstuffing.com/

There is also tellington touch that may be worth thinking about, there is a shortish video below by Sarah fisher, it also explains about the dogs reactions and when and when they not like maybe touched in certain areas, but others that are OK and they enjoy. Again if it seems to be a success you can find other videos on the subject by googling.

Kimmikins and ForestWomble like this.
  17. ForestWomble

Thank you very much @Sled dog hotel

I shall have a good read about scent games, tried them before with Bungo without really knowing how to start and it was a massive fail! Even though I hid everything in full view he missed them all :Hilarious

He has a chew on the go all the time, never without one as, as you say, it does help him.

Tellington TTouch is great :) I have a TTouch harness and it's really helped him outside, I'll have a watch of the video as sounds like there is lots of info I haven't heard before.

MontyMaude and Sled dog hotel like this.
  18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The link to the scent games starts with a very simple one called which hand, and then it goes onto others that you can do, so he may do better with starting with the first very simple one, and then progressing to others as he gets the idea.

If you do like the very brief introduction video on tellington touch and are interested, there is a much longer one by Sarah Fisher that's a sort of lecture/seminar on the subject.. I have just managed to find that one again too.

ForestWomble likes this.
  19. ForestWomble

Thank you.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice