Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gambian pouched rat

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by chappers266, Nov 13, 2007.

1. chappers266

chappers266 PetForums Newbie

WORTH A TRY!! I know that a lady has previously put a thread on here-but just calling out to any other fellow owners who may be willing to share and swap advice etc on how to care for this exotic breed. i have a 10 week old rat. Stacey

2. chappers266

chappers266 PetForums Newbie

He is a boy and is 11 weeks old- we were told he had been hand reared too.
    Ive always kept fancy rats, and my other half was going to surprise me with another pair.my grandad came back from the local pet shop-pet aqua spectacular, high street, chatham-bragging that they have a rat that grows the size of a jack russell.
    Intrigued we paid a visit and i was smitten. He had sold that one but 'ordered' us another one in -who arrived two days later. he charged £450

The first few days he was really biting our fingers and hands when we entered the cage, and playtime has been confined to our bed.
    But each day we notice a difference. He now comes to door of cage when we call him-and instead of biting he will lick palms.
    Yesterday he chirped for the first time-very vocal-i think becaue he was snuggled in his hammock and i disturbed him.
    He is very active during the night!!
    He loves rearranging all his bits in the cage and pushing out all of his litter onto my carpet!! (seems to get very upset when i tidy the cage in the morning and put everything back)

Research suggests that he marks by rubbing his face-he is doing this but also mimicking humping my other halfs hand by wrapping his two front legs around and doing the actions-i wonder if this is just play-like puppies do??

Found out today that they love eating live mealworms!:eek:
    Whats your website address?
    how much do you feed yours and how often?
    Although he is getting better he can stand cuddles for about a minute most then wants to run and play!!

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i now talk to chappers by my e.mail, we exchange idea's and storeys to eachother about our gambian rats, so if anyone else who owns a pouch rat would like to join us then private message me and ill give you my e.mail and we can also exchange idea's.

4. Any chance for a picture? I dont think I ever seen a Gambian Pouched rat....

5. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

sure, click on my link and he is on there :)
    not brill pics but i will get better ones for sure.

6. stbasils

stbasils PetForums Newbie

hello there, my names rachelle and i have had a gambian pouched rat for about 3 months now, Frodo. he's 18months old and he's never been handled and the last owners couldn't cope with him since he sent his girl friend to hospital. he's very grumpy and i was woundering if anyone had any tips at all, i get him out nearly everyday and i have just got to the stage where i can stroke him, i know he should come out and love to be with humans i just feel so sad, can anyone please give me some advice thanks.:)

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

It does take time, alot of it aswell, They still have their wild traits in them.

i still have along way to go with mine i know that much, hand feeding them seems to help, thats how i have gained some trust from our pouchy, he is still abit jumpy once i have picked him up out the cage but i supose that will get better with time.

i kinda expected him to be like our domestic pet fancy rats, you know, after a few days or so everythings getting good, but obviously they are nothing like the domestic rat to me, as i said, he still needs alot of time and work put into him befor he gets anything like our domestic fancy rats, but like i said in another post, i dont give up :D just keep hand feeding him, stroking him, holding him when you can ect and im sure intime he will get alot better.

ild love to see a picture of him :D any chance of that?

8. GreaterBeastXellas

GreaterBeastXellas PetForums Newbie

I live in the US and I have a 4 year old male Gambian (Gambit). When I first got him he wasnt very trusting but I managed to get him tame quickly through handfeeding.

9. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Hi greatbeast :D

Would love to see pictures of your gambian?

#9 Eolabeo, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2008
  10. GreaterBeastXellas

GreaterBeastXellas PetForums Newbie

11. hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw PetForums Member

hi! any idea where i can get one?

12. trekky

trekky PetForums Member

Hi there. i have posted on some of the other forums about the gambians. Its great to read others experiences with getting to know these wonderful pets.
    I have a 11mth old female called Ziyal and a 5mth old male called Odo. Zee was handreared and the ownly way i can discribe her temperament is bomb proof i can do absolutely anything with her so much so the small local pet shops get me to bring her in on their open days to talk about her and she is not phased at all about being passed from person to person or touched by children. It appears from reading the comments that males are that much more diificult. Odo wasn't handreared but was handled from 10 days onwards. He took a chunk out of my finger the while at the breeders home but i still bought him home with me. He's coming on lovely now he's still a bit weary but i can pick up hug him kiss him, it tends to be loud noises that set him off. He did take a hugh step back for 2 weeks a couple of months ago and almost turned feral on me however once his manhood dropped he returned to the place where we got to almost over night. I found to get him used to being approached by a hand and touched without me getting the wounds a false hand and arm worked a treat (one of those from ajoke shop) Once he showed no resistance to that and looked calm i then introduced my own hand. Do make sure you rub your scent onto the fake hand each time you use it. I've never used the fake hand since.

13. gemma.penwarden

gemma.penwarden PetForums Newbie

That fake hand thing sounds like a good idea, my female seems fine with my hand but I don't let her snif it for too long as I am slightly concerned with her teeth as they could do a lot of damage, so I think I will seek out a fake hand so to get her properly used to it, as for noises she doesn't seemed to be bothered by anything, the first day or so she was a bit shy but now seems to have loads of confidence! Don't know if that is good or bad!! :D

14. trekky

trekky PetForums Member

True about the damage the teeth can do i got bit by my male when i collected him at 5wks old and just at that age the damage was impressive i'm just glad it was my hand and not my 1yr old son who startled him with his hand at the time to make him bite. I haven't been bit since though.

15. tj1980

tj1980 PetForums Member

wow just looked up these amazing animals they're enormous as an owner of 10 rats wud love 1 but atlas no space hope u hv lots of happy times with ur rattie x

16. gemma.penwarden

gemma.penwarden PetForums Newbie

Your right, they are lovely but do need a lot of space, I am just waiting for my new large cage to arrive. Wow, 10 rats is a lot!! :D

17. tj1980

tj1980 PetForums Member

i know heehee got 2 then was addicted lol there so easy 2 fall in love with

18. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Unfortunately chappers gambian pouch rat excaped from their property a few weeks ago and hasnt been seen since :( he was coming on so nicely, was brilliant wiv there dogs ect :(

News papers/radio was infomed and signs posters was put up and also mouth to mouth word put out but no news :(.

19. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

aww thats awful I hope they get some news, its terrible they must be so upset :(:(

20. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Yes they are frantic wiv worry, but the main concern is foxes :eek: my daughta spread the news around her colledge aswell as freinds and family etc and told them to spread the word but i doubt he will be found :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice