Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

GALS SOFT SHELL CONCERN

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Digglet, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Digglet

Digglet PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My 3/4/5(?) month old giant African land snail has rapidly grown within only 10 days and the new shell growth is VERY soft!!

It is always munching on cuttlefish bone and is fed a diet of lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, apple, grapes and banana. I've also read that they fish food flakes are good for them so he has a few of them every few weeks.

Please could someone tell me why its new shell is so flimsy, and whether I can give it anything that will harden it up? Or will this bit of shell always stay soft now it has grown like that?

I have included a photograph to show how much he grew in just 10 days!!!

Thanks,

D x

Attached Files:

2. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

No need to be concerned, it is normal for the new shell growth to be soft. I'd recommend adding potato slices, courgette slices and carrot slices to the snail's diet because these foods are more nutritious that cucumber and lettuce.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice