Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GAL worries

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by sid75, Aug 15, 2018.

1. sid75

sid75 PetForums Newbie

We recently moved my son’s GALS from its starter home (a plastic tub with air holes) to a large aquarium. It disappeared for a couple of days, presumably burrowed, but then we found it on the underside of the lid, which is where it has stayed more or less ever since.

If I turn the lid upside down and put food on it it will eat, but doesn’t seem to want to explore at all or spend any time in the bottom of the tank on the substrate. It’s not eating its cuttlefish either, which it was in the small tub.

The only thing I can think is that the substrate might be too chilly. We have a heat mat so I’ll plug that in today since the temperature has cooled by a few degrees. Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is our first GALS

2. sid75

sid75 PetForums Newbie

I’ve also read that it is better to have more than one GALS together, but I’m worried about ending up with eggs and potentially baby snails!

3. Rixsta911

Rixsta911 PetForums Newbie

I had this problem when I used a fish tank and I can only say that when I moved them into a Exo Terra medium low terrarium that everything changed. I dont think the fish tank was letting in enough oxygen, their new home has a top mesh lid along with air slots under the two front opening doors. I added a heat mat to one side as the terrarium was getting much cooler than the tank.
    Now my snails hardly ever got to the top and love to burrow in the plantation soil and moss, they are much more active and can be quite funny in the little rock waterfall.
    You really need more than one, it's a myth about them not socializing, mine love to climb over each other among other things lol. I wouldn't worry about babies, it's easy to scoop out the eggs from the substrate and pop them in a plastic container with a lid on and put them in a freezer for an hour, then they can be disposed off.

4. sid75

sid75 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply!
    Since posting, our snail has started exploring, moving more and eating, so I think he just needed time to adjust. It’s interesting what you said about more air flow though - there are only 2 small air holes in the fish tank so I think I’ll investigate getting him a new home and a playmate!

Rixsta911 likes this.
  5. Rixsta911

Rixsta911 PetForums Newbie

Mine are spoilt ha, only 3 months old but yeah, I'd say it was the oxygen levels, of course humidity and temperature play a part too, depending on the species of your GALS.

IMG_20180822_125332.jpg

IMG_20180822_125337.jpg

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

How big is your snail compared to the size of the tank? Also, what species is it?

It's irrelevant whether you keep a single snail or 10, they are hermaphrodites and will reproduce alone. Yes, it may be less likely with a lone snail but they can self fertilise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice