Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

GAL Snails! HELP?!

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Toneeh, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Toneeh

Toneeh PetForums Member

I have two Gal snails.
    They were given to me by a friend, who's parents wanted to throw them away. What I didn't expect, while I've been away, was around 40 eggs to hatch, leaving me with babies!
    I've got four snails already, before this new batch. Two came with the adults, and they've just stayed healthy and are getting big and cute.

But these forty.... They were really unexpected and now I have no idea what to do with them! I've found homes for five of them, but I don't know what else to do.

I live in Manchester and Stoke.

So, could someone tell me what I can do to find homes for them?

2. rose

rose PetForums VIP

No idea what you can do with the hatched ones, I think you can freeze them, so they die (sorry) if ou keep snails together you will always get thousands of eggs
    Which need to be removed and frozen to stop them growing into snails.
    We keep one on its own for this reason!

3. Toneeh

Toneeh PetForums Member

I usually freeze the eggs, but I had to travel away for ten days and leave my snails with a friend. She didn't know I meant to actually take the eggs and freeze them, so when I came back, they'd hatched? :/

But I'm hoping a pet store will take them. They're growing faster than I expected and don't want to freeze them now they're so big. I'd feel cruel :/ Maybe when they were smaller, but right now they're big and getting cute :/

4. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Very hard to find homes for hundreds of snails, euthanasia would be a better option or else you will be overrun with them

5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

you can euthanise them by dropping them in a pot of boiling water as well its instant.

It's really hard to rehome snails, you could see if a rescue could take them on . Good luck trying to get a pet shop to take them. I got rid of some of mine on gumtree and groups on facebook but that was only a few

6. SianChloe

SianChloe PetForums Newbie

Pet shops sometimes also take them off your hands to be used as feeder food. Not pleasant but at least it means they don't die in vain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice