Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Gagging puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Odins father, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Odins father

Odins father PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Looking for advice for our 16 week old puppy. I took him out in the car today to. Pick up my wife, as soon as we stopped and we got him out of the car he threw up loads. He gagged for a while afterwards, we got him back in the car and took him home on my wife's lap this time and he was fine. Since then he has had diahorrea and been sick again but is also wretching a lot especially after barking. Has this ever happened to anyone else? We are going to feed him boiled rice and chicken if he wants it will keep an eye on him for 24 hours and if no improvement take him to the vets. He seems fine at the moment, fairly content. He was digging in the garden today so we hope he's not eaten something nasty.
    So just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Could he have something stuck in his throat ? Do you have an emergency vet number? I would always err on the side of caution with puppies.

Odins father likes this.
  3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Pups tend to be the most awful scavengers and yours could well have eaten something he shouldn't.

So long as he isn't lethargic or vomiting constantly, I don't think he needs an emergency Vet at this point. For today, don't worry too much about getting him to eat, but do be sure he has access to fresh water. Don't allow him to drink a big amount all at once, as that could make him vomit again.

If he's no better in the morning, I would at least have a word with your Vet and see what he advises.

Gagging after vomiting isn't unusual. It's simply that the reflex is still there, but the stomach is empty.

4. Odins father

I've checked his throat to the point of making him gag and couldn't feel anything in there. We thing he's eaten something he shouldn't have.

5. Odins father

Yes his stomach is def empty as nothings coming out. He threw up loads earlier and hasn't eaten since. It's just the wretching now and again that's concerning. We will keep him at our bedside tonight and if no improvement tomorrow speak to the vet.
    Thanks

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's very possible that his throat is irritated after vomiting.

If you have any honey, a spoonful would really soothe his throat. I swear by it.

It would be good if you could let us know how he is tomorrow.

magpi and fernlady like this.
  7. Odins father

Thanks we are going to try now. We will let you know.

Rafa likes this.
  8. Odins father

Well, woke up to a puppy that's back to normal this morning. Barking and has been to the toilet and all normal. Will keep him on chicken and rice today to be sure.
    Thank you all for your reply.
    Big relief today to have him back to normal.

magpi likes this.
  9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Glad he's better, but a change in diet at this point - the chicken and rice - may not be the best thing. Give him a few more hours to be sure, then I'd give a small amount of his normal food. If that stays down, try some more in a while, and carry on with smaller, more frequent meals until he's back to proper normal. Keeping things on an even keel is important; saves you the cost of the chicken, too.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Glad he is ok they are such a worry hence my vets being on speed dial.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice