Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gagging and retching

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Adon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Hi
    Our 6 month retriever x is very mouthy and picks up and eats all sorts. Last night for first time he ran off whilst in small fenced field behind cottage , normally comes back straight away every time called. Well he hid from us as he had found a treat! We got him back after ten minutes of chase me! but think he crunching on something he shouldn't :(
    This was at 10 pm all last night he was retching and gagging on White foamy gag. He was up all night doing this so we took him to vet.
    I thought he had something, maybe twig or bone stuck in his wind pipe? Vet checked could not see or feel anything. She thought he eaten something that has irritated his throat. She gave him injections of antibiotics and anti inflammatory. 53 quid ouch :eek: and of course I have a 60 quid excess on insurance. He is ok in himself wagging tail as ever!
    He to be rested and fed soft food,scrambled egg and porridge. She said very common for retreiver and labs to get this type of thing.
    Any advice or anyone else experienced this. Should I just have waited to seeif he recovered or was it right thing to take him to vet?

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You definitely did the right thing, if there had been something stuck in there it could have got really infected.

3. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Thanks she said if he brings up food ongoing or it doesn't ease they will take him back to x ray him, so maybe there is something lodged as it sound like that when he retching.

4. trixiemixy

trixiemixy Guest

You were right to take him to the vets.

I'm sure he will be fine just keep an eye on him and as the vet says if he gets worse and/or doesn't improve take him back.

Also if you do take him back, and it costs you more, you can combine both the first visit to the vet the £53 and the second as it is for the same thing, to the insurance company. As I had to do it with my dog. So you would get some money back :)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You were deffinately right to take him, especially as you knew he had eaten something he shouldnt, it could have been anything, and with repeated retching as well. Better to be safe then sorry as they say.

6. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Thanks. Not sure what he was eating as he has taken a shine for eating sticks/wood !!? He kept the scrambled egg down , a good sign but still retching up drool etc yuk washing machine has never been off lol

7. Sled dog hotel

Just a though but has there been any problems with pests or vermin round and about, where any rodent bait or similar has been put down? It was just a throw over from another thread that someone posted saying they had seen their dog find and eat something furry possibly a rat. You can get secondary poisoning, from a poisoned rat or mouse, symptoms can follow a day or two after even up to a week or more, because it is slow acting. Coughing and drool can be the first sign. Blood tests can be taken and there is a blood test for clotting too to make sure they havent eaten a rodenticide. They checked my dog just before xmas last as she had odd dis-orientated behaviour and excess constant drooling which can mean something like a toxin ingested. Coughing too can be part of it. If he does continue might be worth mentioning it to the vets.

Here is a copy of the list I posted on there

You might notice that many dog rat poison symptoms are similar to other kinds of illness and severity depend mainly on quantity of the poison ingested and type of chemical.

Dog rat poison symptoms

dull
    reject food
    saliva is mixed with blood
    internal bleeding from gums, lung
    external bleeding from nose (epistaxis), rectum (hematochezia)
    bright green stool which is caused by eating rat bait pellets
    bloody urine (hematuria) or stool (melena)
    blood coagulation
    fatigue
    excitation
    drooling
    slobbering
    uncoordinated gait
    muscle tremors
    weakness
    cold
    inability to stand
    mild cough
    lung problems
    breathing difficulty
    mental depression
    vomiting
    diarrhea
    coma
    extensive bruising

It was actually a rabbit in the end the OP found the remains not a rat, but thought it might be worth posting on here too.

8. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Thanks for this info. He doesn't have any of these other symptoms on the list so hopefully will not have this, know the landowner would not put poison down in that field, but useful for future reference as he puts poison in the nearby out buildings.

9. Sled dog hotel

Just keep an eye on him in that case. Rodent poisons do not kill the rodent immediately it takes a few days. The reason being a lot of them kill by causing internal bleeding and slowly, so the rodent can be still active. If a dog catches and eats one thats poisoned its possible to get secondary poisoning. There are different types of poisons. That is a comprehensive list,
    dogs dont need to immediately show a lot of the signs. Coughing and or drooling is often a first sign. Some times the symptoms doesnt show for a week or more. I would still be vigilant and if the symptoms carry on speak to the vet again.

10. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Ummm...this could be Kennel Cough - the first symptoms very often sound as if the dog has something stuck in it's throat and they often bring up mucous - keep an eye on him and if a cough develops pop back to the vets for antibiotics and also treat any coughing with Tixylix or similar ..thre's a lot of KC about at the moment ( we came back with it from LKA and all 6 of our dogs went down with it :mad: )

11. Sled dog hotel

That is a very valid point, Think every one got thrown off the track as the dog had found something and run off with it the night before and it was suspected he had eaten something. That could just be a co-incidence though and he has gone down with KC.

12. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Update on little Harvey
    His gagging retching has stopped, gradually went. He is eating soft food and been out for light walk. He seems happy as ever. Only minor concern is he had small amount of blood in poo. Was thinking if he has torn his throat on something this is maybe where blood coming from? Will watch in morning see if any more

13. Sled dog hotel

Is there any mucos in the poo as well mucos and small flecks of blood can mean colitis that his bowel is inflammed. its often accompanied by loose poo or diarrhoea too. Red blood is usually fresher blood, it can be caused too if they have eaten something sharp and its scratched or cut on exit. If he scratched his throat and caused bleeding I doubt if it would show as red blood as it would be digested. Keep a look out and make sure the stools are not black and tarry looking that can mean bleeding further up the digestive tract. Or digested blood.

14. Adon

Adon PetForums Junior

Hi it was dark red rather than fresh, samll amount but will keep eye on it. Thanks for your help :eek:

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Of topic I know but if my memory is right you were at LKA the same day as us on sunday. Buck coughed a bit after being there. He coughs when he has his show lead on anyway as he hates leads round his neck he wears a harness for walks but was definitley coughing about 4/5 days after LKA we use Benylin for mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice