Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gagged for a reason!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dogless, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Walking today along the path and a man said 'I'm not coming anywhere near that dog, it's gagged for a reason' to his friend as they walked past me.

I told him it wasn't a muzzle, it was a headcollar (Kilo was wearing his Dogmatic). He said he didn't care, my dog looked like it had a bit of Ridgeback in him and they were very dangerous :mad::mad:

I even have the padded webbing Dogmatic in bright red so it looks as un-muzzle like and non threatening as possible.

I'm getting quite fed up of all the breedist comments that are directed at us on a daily basis (as are many of you other owners, I am sure).

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I had had it up to my neck with people telling me Akita's are covered under the dangerous dogs act! :mad::mad:

And how dangerous to have one living next door to a primry school :mad:

And as for phoning around for kennels this afternoon and finding some wont even take Akita's it made me mad :mad:

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Gagged?! What a fool. That's awful. I love Ridgebacks and never knew there was discrimination against them until people mentioned it on here. Our Staffie had a black Canac collar on a couple of times when he was a pup and a lot of people presumed it was a muzzle. Don't let it deter you from using your Dogmatic :) I can appreciate how frustrating silly comments are, they should keep their comments to themselves.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Bet it has :mad:. Kilo even kept still whilst about 40 primary school kids completely engulfed us on the pavement today as they screamed and ran to the sports pitch for PE, followed at the rear by a teacher futilely yelling 'give the dog some space!!' (which I thought was lovely, I made sure I thanked her). He was not comfortable as they were even knocking into us, but didn't growl, bark or move from his sit that I put him in (complete with newly discovered AG crunchy bite, which he will seemingly sell his soul for :eek:).

Obviously pretty dangerous...and 10m further down the road who ran over off leash out of control snapping, snarling and growling whilst his owner kept trying to recall him and yelling sorry; a sweet little Yorkie; I wonder how many total strangers feel the need to advise his owners on his dangerous nature :mad:

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I didn't know there was discrimination until I owned one either...won't let it deter me from using the Dogmatic when I need to though (great bit of kit!).

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I used to get it when I walked Buster in a halti and he's not even a "dangerous" breed except for to the few people who are convinced he'll bite them terriers are snappy you see. People used to think he was vicious because he had it on.

I've never heard of people thinking ridgebacks were dangerous until a few weeks ago

7. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

That's good :) When our eldest dog used it, a little fluffy collie JRT cross, people were more concerned about him 'being able to defend himself', they tended to think it sealed his mouth shut! :eek: I wonder where the Ridgeback discrimination has come from?

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Mine is dangerous in the sense he will trip me up winding round and round my legs for a cuddle :D

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Oh so like all these "dangerous" breeds more likely to knock you over a cuddle or lick you to death than eat you

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm not sure...was talking about it with his breeder. I went to a show to watch one of their dogs and heard two negatives there. The first was the judge who said that they were actually quite nice dogs given their terrible reputation :confused:

The second was a woman that made her children walk past the ring quickly as 'those dangerous dogs' were in there :confused:

Kilo's breeder said they had noticed it more over the past few years and I certainly have noticed in since I got Kilo; hardly one single day goes by without some daft comment!!

11. ClaireLouise

I posted regarding anti akita comments yesterday.
    People get right on my nerves. Know nothing and think they know all

12. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

That's a shame. If it's not daft comments it's daft actions e.g. hastily dragging their kids/dogs away by the scruff. I wish there was a park where all us owners with 'dangerous' breeds could meet up and let them have a play together without people thinking negatively about them.

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

A man thanked me the other day for leaving Kilo offlead when his staffy came over for a play...said most people put their dogs back on their leads :(

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I always ask if staffies are friendly and if Buster can play with them. He loves playing with bully breeds because he can play rough with them. If I can have a cuddle it's a bonus love staffies. Never met a ridgeback in person though

15. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Arw :( It's sad isn't it?

Hehe, our Staffie tends to get fed up with the dog and snuggles in to the owner's legs for a stroke.

16. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Very fierce :eek::eek:

To be honest, to me he has a great nature as he is growing out of the bounce over to people and dogs and becoming pretty aloof, he leaves people alone and prefers that they leave him alone and doesn't really like strange people stroking his head, but tolerates it very well when they do as he comes to work and people try and do it to him all day :rolleyes: It also means that (as yet) he isn't bad at all at recalling from other dogs as he likes a play but doesn't become obsessed by it (touch wood - not yet got to the terrible teens!!!).

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yes this is the easy time give it a few months and they turn into little monsters.

Some people get very surprised when I ask can I stroke them. It's a shame they're used to people running away from their dogs

18. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Never really had any negative comments about Tiger - he looks slightly staffish but not quite enough to ilicit the comments!

He has had quite a few 'looks' from people though and people giving us a wide berth since I got him his red Canny Collar.... probably should have got a black one really.

19. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

I love walking with Peggy and seeing groups of young men who are taking up the whole pavement suddenly part like the red sea when they see this 40kg foxhound coming towards them. I have Mabel with me as well but I don't think they are moving for a 12kg lurcher :D

On the subject of parents and kids, I was coming back from the park the other morning and a small child walked past with his mother. He said "doggies" and she immediately said "ooh, doggies are going to get you".

Stupid woman, way to give a child a phobia!

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Or big monsters!! Wouldn't say it has been easy by any means as he is certainly a tester of boundaries...constantly; although he is very well behaved at work (touch wood again!!).

I really like it when people ask to stroke him instead of walking straight up and mauling him...men, I'm talking about you here; he doesn't want to be clapped round the head, have your fingers in his mouth or play rough. Head ducking means bugger off I'm not comfortable here!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice