Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Gabapentin

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sky-summer, Jul 2, 2020.

1. sky-summer

sky-summer PetForums Member

Our lovely Leia has arthritis and also currently being checked for stomach issues.

She was on Previcox but we think it’s been causing her stomach issues, not eating, foamy bile and sticky poos. Vet changed to gabapentin 10mg twice a day (she is just over 6kg).

She started Monday and all been fine, but today she is odd. Tail down, didn’t eat until 4pm, sleepy, and generally not interested.

Only difference today was that we had to put the capsule down her throat, as she has been refusing having it mixed with food, plus this was on an empty stomach. Also my daughter went back to work after three months off and Leia is very attached to her.

Called Vet and explained, he is not overly worried, got to call tomorrow if still like it, but still give her gabapentin this evening.

I understand it starts working straight away but can take a while for full affect.

Anyone else had this experience of it taking a few days before side effects etc?

Out of interest what did vet do I.e. reduce dose, stop, change to different meds, give reduced dose at night only?

Hate seeing her groggy bless her.

Thank you so much

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack’s on Gabapentin - one capsule twice a day and he takes it readily in a small nugget of raw mince, pate, grated cheese or squished burger cheese.

At first I gave him one or two nuggets without and the one with the capsule didn’t touch the sides;)

Now it’s just the one with capsule.

He hasn’t displayed any side effects so can’t help with that.

3. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Gabapentin can sometimes make them a bit woozy & wobbly for few days while they adjust. Some vets opt to give a lower dose to start & increase up to desired dose. My dog didn't have any noticeable side effects from it.

Here's an interesting video about gabapentin. It can be given with or without food, this vet suggests empty stomach maybe better for more consistent absorption rates.

sky-summer and O2.0 like this.
  4. sky-summer

sky-summer PetForums Member

Thank you so much, I have learnt allot watching this.

I am thinking our issue is due to giving on an empty stomach, which we hadn’t done before. We had suspected this. Chatting with vets tomorrow.

O2.0 likes this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Bates is on 300mg gabapentin 2X a day, 3X if he's been particularly active and I know he'll get sore. He's a lot bigger than your girl :)
    He hasn't had any issues, but it can make some dogs drowsy/lethargic, I'd give it to her just in the evenings for a while, see if that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice