Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy Shih tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarah edge, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Sarah edge

Sarah edge PetForums Newbie

Hi
    This is my first post and first time owning a Shih tzu. He is a 5month old male called Eric. He is currently on royal canine puppy dry food but he just won’t eat it I’ve mixed boiled chicken in with it you name it I’ve done it. He just wants to eat what we are eating but I won’t give in to that. Please help his little belly is rumbling and he’s bringing up bile. Thanks in advance

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

There are two options, some people advocate the tough love approach and say he will eat when he is hungry enough. Others, like me, would rather see the dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to survive.

And if he hates it so much that he starve himself enough to bring up bile, he must really dislike it.

Royal Canin has an awful lot of cheap grain filler ingredients, you could certainly offer better quality for the same price or less.

Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk
    It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

You might want to experiment with different textures - I feed a semi moist called Platinum, it has a strong smell which a lot of dogs find very tempting.

3. Sarah edge

Thank you so much it was my vet who told me royal canine was the best. Plus I’ve tried wet dog food too but he’s not interested.

4. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I really sympathise with you we went through the same with our pup, started about the same age funnily enough. We wasted loads of money and food trying to get him to eat.
    Other than trying some wet food, feeding him little and often, soaking the kibble etc, What about making a game out of it to get him started? Dan still likes to chase food and treats and it's surprising how much he eats doing this. Also to feed him before you eat if possible do not eat in front of him if at all possible. Having said that it does seem to be quite common in shih tzu dogs. As a last resort I bought some vitamin paste from Amazon that stimulated his appetite.

LittleMow likes this.
  5. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I second the platinum (thanks Joanne), it has the texture of treats and is great for the chasing game and taking out with you. Also comes in smaller bags so less waste.

JoanneF likes this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Vets are not the best to advise on foods for several reasons. They usually only get about half a day nutritional training. And that is usually supplied by one of the companies that sell dog food - to vets - so it isn't exactly impartial. And, I bet your vet sells Royal Canin, no?

This is the ingredients of one of the Royal Canin foods -

Maize flour, dehydrated poultry protein, wheat gluten*, rice, animal fats, maize, maize gluten, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable fibres, beet pulp, minerals, fish oil, soya oil, yeasts products, dried tomato pulp (source of lycopene), fructo-oligosaccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), borage oil (0.1%), hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin). * L.I.P.: protein selected for its very high digestibility. Vitamin A: 29000 IU, Vitamin D3: 800 IU, Iron (3b103): 43 mg, Iodine (3b201, 3b202): 4.3 mg, Copper (3b405, 3b406): 13 mg, Manganese (3b502, 3b504): 55 mg, Zinc (3b603, 3b605, 3b606): 135 mg, Selenium (3b801, 3b811, 3b812): 0.09 mg. Tea extract (source of polyphenols): 150 mg - Preservatives - Antioxidants. Clinoptilolite of sedimentary origin: 5 g.

And this is Platinum -

Fresh chicken meat (70 %), broken rice, corn (GMO-free), dehydrated chicken protein, hydrolysed poultry protein, dried brewers’ yeast, dried apple pulp, salmon oil, yucca extract, cold-pressed flaxseed oil, cold-pressed olive oil, green-lipped mussel extract, dried carrots, dried tomatoes, dried african marigold, dried dandelion, dried broccoli, dried green tea, dried chamomile, dried oregano, dried milk thistle seed, dried cranberry seed, dried seaweed, potassium chloride.

See how the Platinum ingredients are a lot clearer? I think that is a good sign. To be fair, the chicken content reduces a bit because fresh chicken contains an amount of water but it is still, in my view, a far better food.

niamh123 and LinznMilly like this.
  7. Sarah edge

Think I will have a look and give it a try. I hate to see him so hungry.

8. Sarah edge

Yes I’ve tried playing games too putting them in treat puzzles you name it I’ve done it. X

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Home cooked dog food might be the answer.

Just do some research to ensure you’re providing a balanced diet.

JoanneF likes this.
  10. Sarah edge

I tried giving him diced lamb mixed in with his dried food and he just turns his nose up.

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't mean to suggest you use Platinum - by all means try it, if he likes it that's great - but I don't want to sound like I am pushing it.

But they will send you samples if you call them.

12. Sarah edge

No it’s fine I’m prepared to try anything I’ve just ordered a small bag for now to see how he goes. Thank you so much for your help. X

niamh123, JoanneF and LinznMilly like this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Please let us know how you get on.

14. Sarah edge

I will definitely let’s hope he eats until it arrives. Thank you so much again.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice