Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy puppy?? What do i do???

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Charlotte's Archie, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Charlotte's Archie

Charlotte's Archie PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have a 6 month old Mini Schnauzer and had him from the age of 9 weeks. He's never been particularily a fussey eater until recently, but he does have a sensitive tummy so have to be careful what he is fed. He has been on Barking heads puppy feed now for 10 weeks (was previously on Beta puppy food) and we still soak it and add a cube of nature diet chicken / fish with veg to give that extra taste appeal. Over the last few weeks he's become quite fussy and will just sniff the food and walk off! As he is still only 6 months he's still on 3 feeds a day but they are not large feeds. Some days he'll woof the whole lot down other days he snifs it and walks off! Is he just not hungary or is he being fussey? For example today I gave him breakfast at 7.30 and he looked at it and walked off, so we tried again at 9 and nope not intersted! Lunchtime the same thing but then after 5 minutes ate half of it! What do I do? Is he just being fussey and awkward or does he not actually like his food? Do i persevere and assume he is not really that hungary and he will eat it when he really does wants it or do I change his food? Or do I make it a bit more appetising and add differnt things to the soaked biscuites or is this just pandering to him? ANY SUGGESTIONS?? Thanks!!!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I would definitely reduce to two feeds a day. How much do you give him each meal as in grams? You could be feeding him too much so hes not hungry. How much exercise does he get?

3. estrelaslave

estrelaslave PetForums Junior

It's possible he is just not hungry. Is his food a kibble? If so, have you tried giving him some that is not soaked, he might prefer it.

4. Charlotte's Archie

Hi Seven-Pets, He gets 3 tablespoons (headed) of soaked biscuites and 1 nugget of Natures menu. Sorry don't know the weight but will check when I get home! He gets 1 long walk a day (30 min approx as still young) in the evening and lots of little run abouts in the garden throughout the day and in the woods at the back of us (for wee / poo time). When he see's his food bowl he get excited and runs with you to be fed but then looks at the foods and just walks off. Other times he will gobble it all up! Over the weekend he was really fussey but then found 2 ticks on his chin, removed them and he ate quite happily. We thought it was just the ticks but he has no ticks now and is still fussey! Boyfriend just said that when he tried to give him the breakfast he didnt want at 7.30 at 9 he refused it so he gave him 2 nuggets of natures menu instead and ate it all instantly! Didn't want to know about the biscuites! Thats fussey isn't it?

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Is the pup alone? In which case I'd leave the food down, I've always used free feeding with single dogs, makes life alot easier for all concerned. Stops you having to pander, and panic over him not eating and lets him decide if he's hungry. My 8 month old lurcher needed feeding up because he had been locked in a cage from birth til 6 months old but with having 5 other dogs if I left food down they'd nab it so in the evenings when he's downstairs with my 2 non-greedies I leave a bowl of dried food and usually he's eaten most of it by the morning.

Otherwise it may be as simple as the food has slightly changed during its manufactoring and he no longer likes it as much? I chop and change my dogs complete food because I imagine it must be boring eating the same thing but I know alot of people don't advocate that ..can't say it's ever bothered my lot!! :lol:

6. Charlotte's Archie

Hi estrelaslave, We did start giving him the biscuites dried and he wouldn't eat them. Thought maybe they were too hard for his teeth so started to soak them again and he was alright. But then he started to get fussey! I did give him a few dried ones in his lucnh today and he did eat them with some soaked. Does he need more variety?

7. Charlotte's Archie

Thanks for the advise JSR, Yes he is on his own, well other than his best friend the cat (not ours but neighbours who comes to visit!) we had been leaving his food down and sometimes he would eat it all and sometimes he wouldn't. With regards to choping and changing his food is that OK for a 6 month old who has a sensitive tummy?

8. LucyJ

LucyJ PetForums Member

Just spend a few days giving one meal in the morning and one in the evening, mix wet and dry if you want. Remove the food after 15 minutes. If he's healthy he won't starve and he'll learn to eat it when it's given.

Very rarely do dogs in a multi dog household become fussy because they soon learn if they don't eat it another dog will!

:)

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Maybe not so ideal in his case, but that said my old boy has colitis and since he's been eating a raw diet with complete food as an added extra (just for the crunch really!! I'm so soft!!! :rolleyes:) he has no problems. I literally just buy what ever is cheapest or on offer at the feed place because their main nutrition is taken from the raw meat it doesn't matter whats in the complete.

Might be worth trying pup with some raw meat? It's done my old boys stomach no end of good, haven't had a colitis attack in the 7 years I've been feeding raw.

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

:lol: That's true...my JRT stopped eating this morning to look at the cat and by the time he looked back a Lurcher was nicking his food!!! :lol:

11. Charlotte's Archie

Thanks to everyone who has offered their advise! It is much appreciated! I will try just giving lunch and divver for a day or too and wee how that goes. If not I may well look at the raw diets and see if that solves the problems. I'll keep you all posted!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice