Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jane_ma, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Jane_ma

Jane_ma PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well and staying safe.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice? My 6 month old kitten seems to be getting very fussy with her food.

At Xmas she had a urine infection that took a good few weeks, 2 courses of antibiotics, lots of supplements, lots of cuddles and change of food to grain free option before she got better.

I have been mainly feeding her Little Big Paw pates and Blink food which she used to love but now not so much.

She is going in to be spayed on Friday (really nervous) as she has already been on heat a good few times in last 3 months and it's since her last phase on heat she has been weird with her food. She used to run in at meal times and munch the lot but now she only seems to eat at night time?

I thought it was the blink she went off so I stopped that and kept her on the pates. I bought natures menu and she seems to be turning her nose up at that. I then thought maybe its because the food is too mushy and not crunchy or in chunks so I sprinkled a tiny bit of Ava on top but she still doesn't seem fussed about anything. I know all the above sounds a lot but it was tiny changes over a prolonged period.

Sorry for the long story but I am a little bit worried she's not eating enough. I give her natural treats at bed time and she eats them no problem and then she will eat her food after those. Not sure if I am just worrying over nothing but as this is my first kitten and u lovely people have all helped me before I thought I would ask for any advice.

Thanks everyone xx

2. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

Hi, definitely not an expert but hopefully someone else will have more advice for you!
    For now I think as long as you have a way to get her to eat something then keep going with that. So if it's giving her a few treats and then her food, continue as you don't want her to go without eating at all.

When did she stop going off her food? Was it right after the infection? It may be that she started to associate it with being uncomfortable.

Jane_ma likes this.
  3. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Popcorn has gone through phases with food since she was a kitten, shes now 8 and still goes through phases! She only eats 2 flavours of gourmet solitaire wet food and sometimes goes off them! We sprinkle Felix crunchies over her food when shes being particularly fussy and also give her lick e lix so she doesnt go hungry. You might well find once shes been spayed she will settle down but it's always worth talking it through with your vet if you are really worried to put your mind at rest and rule out anything else. Our vet just said Popcorn was super fussy!

Jane_ma likes this.
  4. Jane_ma

Jane_ma PetForums Newbie

Thanks for getting back to me folks I really appreciate it.
    Yeah I have read and also know a few people with cats that are really fussy with food so maybe she is going to be one of them as well.
    I've tried buying different bowls, moving her food in different places etc but it's not making a massive difference. She is eating just not as much as she used to.
    Hopefully after she is spayed on Friday she will get better and settle. Really nervous for her op hope it all goes well and is straight forward xx

5. popcornsmum

Good luck for Friday! I hope all will go well for you both. x

Jane_ma likes this.
  6. Jane_ma

Jane_ma PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much x

7. popcornsmum

I hope all went well for you yesterday :)

8. Jane_ma

Jane_ma PetForums Newbie

Everything did go well with Mabel's spay (thank goodness) She is healing really well and not even going anywhere near her stitches which is a relief.
    We go back on Sunday for her final Post Op and hopefully won't be back at the vets for a long time xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice