Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by popoki, Apr 11, 2011.

1. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Our little 6 month kitten is a fussy eater - and I'm not sure what to do next!
    She's just not driven by food at all and never actively asks for it.

She'll start eating but the slightest noise to distract her and she's off like a rocket to investigate. We've tried waiting with her while she eats so she's knows she's not missing out on anything but it's not a habit we want to get into! She eats more this way but she still won't finish the bowl. We feed her about six small meals a day (dry first thing in the morning followed by meals of 1/2 pouch of wet).

She's currently eating royal canin kitten wet food. I know it's not the greatest but we got some from the vet to try and she was eating it so we stuck with it, but she's now gone off it. She's slightly more enthusiastic about dry and currently has a mix of RC kitten and orijen (hoping to wean her off the RC eventually) but she prefers the RC to the orijen.

I'm waiting on a small delivery of Grau to try her on. She's not bothered about highlife or natures menu which are the only other brands tried to date. We've tried brewers yeast, crushed up thrive treats etc which is usually met with the same couple of mouthfuls and then she's off. She does graze on and off through the day so I know she's eating but it doesn't feel like she's eating enough. I'm worried about trying lots of different foods in a short space of time in case it upsets her tummy. She's not overly fussed by cooked chicken or tinned tuna in spring water either. :rolleyes5:

Can anyone offer advice what next steps should be? I will try her on the grau but I'm not convinced we'll have any better results!

Weight wise she's ok, she's a small cat but the vet is pleased with her weight gain to date.

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

That's cats for you! If you are worried that she isn't eating much, and you know that being with her while she eats helps her to eat more, then perhaps that is a solution in the meantime to get her to eat. And one of my cats used to eat little and often (recently read about studies -lab and observation of feral colonies - from the 1980s that showed that given the choice cats would eat 12-20 tiny meals a day), but over the years she has grown out of it and she now eats 3 meals a day.

TBH though, 3 pouches and some dry sounds like a decent amount to eat (though I guess that depends on how much you throw away). Is she still gaining weight? Do you ever weigh her yourself?

If she isn't that fussed with NM and HiLife, then Grau might not be a hit either. The RC is chunks in sauce right? So perhaps next time you order off zooplus order some schmusy vollwertflakes (the pouches) to see whether she will eat that.

Hope that helps!

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

It actually sounds like she is eating quite a bit. Some cats don't do well on eating three main meals a day, and self-regulate their eating. We always leave dry food down for Sooty and he gets small smounts of wet food whenever he asks us for it. If the vet thinks she weighs an appropriate amount for her size, then I would trust that.

She sounds like a very active kitty regardless so I really don't think you should worry. If she starts eating less, and less frequently, and becomes withdrawn, you would probably need to look into whether she doesn't like her food or isn't well.

It seems like they only eat a few mouthfuls, but as Hobbs points out, they eat loads of tiny meals a day and do better for it. Sooty has always self-regulated and never been overweight (apart from eating the odd vole which made him look like he was preggers!).

Give her a big snug, I'm sure she is ok! :) xx

4. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

We're throwing away about 1/3 per meal.
    Hobbs - 12-20 small meals a day funnily enough sounds about right for what she's eating! We'll definately give schmusy a try, thanks for the rec.

The strangest thing for me is she never ever asks for food, never begs when we're eating food - it's just not on her radar! I've never had a cat like that before! Plus we're getting a second kitten in 6 weeks and I don't want him to be scoffing her food too, so I'd be much happier if she would clear her bowl, but accept I'm running to meet things that haven't happened yet. (worry!)

She certainly doesn't have issues with her energy levels and last night was bouncing off the walls! Play sessions regularly last 2 hours long - it's exhausting keeping up with her sometimes!

We went to visit our new kitten at the weekend and one the breeders female kittens was larger than Kiki but a month younger which sparked our worries off again (hence the post!) She's off to the vets on Thursday to be spayed (even more to worry about!) so we'll get an accurate weight again.
    I have weighed her myself but am happier with the accuracy of vets scales than I am with mine.

Just wish didn't worry about everything she does quite so much! (worry! :crazy: )
    xx

#4 popoki, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Aww, remember though that cats come in all shapes and sizes and she could just be a small cat. See what they say at the vets on thursday and report back on what they said and how it all went. Might also be that the spay is going to kick-start her appetite.

Fingers are crossed for Thursday!

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Exactly. Sooty is a moggy and he is much larger than most, and not a cat to ever be overweight. My friend has a moggy, he is a tiny little fellow compared to Soots and I always feel like I'm going to break him, but he has an average appetite, but is just a small sized cat :)

7. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hobbs, could you please advise on the consistency of the above pouches. I've read the info on Zooplus, but am not the wiser :confused:
    Is the chicken and rice like shredded chicken or chicken chunks? Having my own 'fussy devil' I'm keen to try out anything new.
    Thank you :D

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Like compacted chunks in sauce. Like the Bozita chunks and i believe like the RC chunks.

9. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Also, maybe it's worth not giving her so much on her plate in the first place, so if you always end up chucking out a third, then two thirds is technically enough for her. You can save the rest for later, it should be ok :)

10. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks again for all the advice, I'll keep you posted. Any recs for post spay food? Should she have chicken? A little treat? Or won't she be up to eating much?

I do wonder if I'll ever stop worrying about her! And goodness knows why we're going through it all again with number two! :lol:

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'd leave some dry food out for her to eat if you aren't around, and you can tempt her with some wet food or chicken, however she may feel nautious after the general anaesthetic!
    Also, be warned, she may start behaving really strangely after you get her home, this because of the anaesthetic, it takes a day or two to wear off properly. Don't worry about drastic behaviour changes for the first 48 hours, as it will definitely go away! :) at least you are prepared for it. :)

12. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks missy :)

I've booked two days off work and then we've got the weekend to be with her so she won't be left on her own apart from at night! OH is more worried than I am about it so I wouldn't be surprised if he stays up all night with her!

13. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'd definitely tell him not to be too worried! :D She definitely sounds to me like she is a cat who is better off self-regulating than trying to force into 3 main meals a day. If you are used to cats being greedy and eating a lot, and also used to them having three main meals a day, I guess that can be quite shocking as it does seem they don't have any interest in food. We have always successfully let the cats self-regulate with additional wet food in the mornings and evenings. All cats are different however, and as said before, some cats do better self-regulating their intake and some do better on three meals.
    Try just keeping an eye on how much she eats over a day, to make sure she is regularly eating the same amount, but don't watch over her as she eats as she might be finding that fairly off-putting too. Eventually you will relax and she will just get on with it, the way they are supposed to :)
    I know how easy it is to worry about the little furbabies, but continue to shower her with loads of cuddles and bellyrubs and lots of playtime, and trust the vet if he says that she is at a good weight!
    Good luck, Sooty sends his best regards too! :D

14. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks missy and sooty!

The grau arrived today - typical when she's not allowed to eat tonight before the op tomorrow!

We're both as bad as each other for worrying, but we had such a rocky start with our other kitten being pts after a FIP diagnosis we're a little over protective of her. I'm sure it'll get better the older she gets and when number 2 arrives I don't think we'll have time to worry!
    xx

15. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I know it's not known thing for cats to gain after spaying, but Rilly is the biggest she has ever been only a couple of months after her spay! She's so much more interested in her food these days.

As for what to feed post spay ... well we just gave Rilly her normal food and she was fine. I definately wouldn't recommend giving dry food. She might be slightly dehydrated after the op, and might not be too keen to get up and down for a drink of water to begin with. At least if she's eating wet she's getting a bit of both :)

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Good luck with the spay today!

I am with Aurelia on the food issue. Just give her her normal wet food or some plain boiled chicken. Who knows - the vet may even send you on your way with some special post-spay food. If you are offered it and need to pay for it then just say no thank you. It isn't any special food - just the usual hills sensitive stomach grub.

Dry food after an op? Perhaps not the best idea imo as Aurelia said.

#16 hobbs2004, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  17. popoki

popoki PetForums Member

Thanks both.
    Dropped her off this morning - she was yowling like a big ol' tom in her carrier!
    Now just nervously waiting until 2pm when we can phone to see how it went!
    xx

18. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Good luck!
    When Sooty got spayed he definitely had a grwoth spurt after, so as somebody else mentioned, she may start showing more interest in food afterwards.
    We always fed our kitties boiled chicken and some rice post-op on advice form vets, as it's easy to digest :)

Ems xxx

19. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

The worst part! Hope everything goes ok, and make sure you spoil her rotten for the next few days :)

20. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I know, all you can do is worry until the time comes! :blink:
    I got so anxious when Sooty had the op to put a drain in his haematoma, I ended up calling the vet to make sure everything had gone ok, even though they had promised to call! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice