Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy feeders

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by Lynn Cardwell, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Lynn Cardwell

Lynn Cardwell PetForums Newbie

I have two Speckeldies who live in my outside porch where they can stay dry and safe, and with the door open during the day they free range in next doors garden. They were fed pellets at PoL, which I would have continued. Wouldn't touch them! Bought mash, which they eat, very reluctantly and waste vast quantities. Want to change to pellets. Have tried few pellets at a time to gradually increase, but the answer is always No No No! Can I withold mash altogether and present pellets as a faite acompli? They are just over a year old and seem to be OK, though one has just begun a moult I think, some feffs about the place and no eggs for a week or so. She is Boss Bird, the other one is Trade Union Rep who does all the complaining when required!
    Must get this feed sorted it's costing a bomb in mash every week.

2. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Just put the pellets out for them, they may stick their beaks up for a few days though.
    Most hens don't pig out on pellets if they free range, they just snack on them intermittently. They really do need them to be available during the day as they will contain extra nutrients and protein that they may not always be able to find whilst out.

3. Lynn Cardwell

4. Lynn Cardwell

Thanks for this Rockdot, at the moment all is calm thanks to all the brilliant advice on this forum. As you suggest, I am leaving a small trough of Smallholder layers crumble all the time, topped up every morning and thrown out and renewed twice a week. Also an earthenware dish of fermented grain which they have always had. So they do a bit of free ranging, then come indoors for a snack then off out again. Include a sweetheart cabbage and they're happy. Yesterday I spy one with legs sticking out of the beak, running like a mad thing and being chased by the other. Didn't have time to see whose legs they were, if it was a mouse, it didn't have a tail. Anyhow, very shortly despatched, lovely protein...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice