Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fussy feeder

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Blitz, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Candy is getting really bad at eating. She went off royal canin, then went off James Wellbeloved. She gets a bit of one of the cheap trays of dog food mixed with it and usually some olive oil squirted on as that used to get her going. I bought another make of dry food plus a moist one (shreds of moist meat stuff) but that doesnt interest her. She gobbles down a weetabix and milk last thing at night but apart from a pick at her main meals that is all she is bothering with at the moment. I wouldnt really worry but she is on the skinny side and I dont really want her to lose weight. I leave it down for her for about 10 minutes then pick it up. She isnt even bothering to eat all the meat the last few days and yesterday refused a meal I soaked in left over cooking juices and oil.

We are very limited on what is available here and most of the internet companies will not send to the north of scotland without a huge surcharge.

Has anyone found something that works with very fussy eaters. I am not keen on going on a barf diet and not even sure she would eat it as I have given her bits of fresh food and she carries a tiny bit off and doesnt really bother to eat it.
    I am going to let her get hungry and hope that works but as I said she really does not have any weight to lose.

2. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

My Sidders is like this. He takes an hour to eat his food...if he eats it all. His on Canin, and the Barf diet. As he is a show dog I can't have him losing weight. He does however like his chicken carcasses and wings (RAW of course), but the farm I used to get them has now closed down.

I've now started picking his food up after 20 mins, as an animal behaviourist suggested this. Do this for a few days, she told me, and he will eat it all, and not take silly amount of time eating it. Tried, and his still the same lol

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It doesnt seem to help with Candy either. What is the Barf that you feed. Do you make it up yourself or is it something you can buy ready made.

4. pets-life

pets-life Banned

Liteskye likes this.
  5. Liteskye

Green tripe, minced lamb, chicken carcasses, wings, lamb rib bones. Tripe with veg, chicken with veg, hearts. I also give them probiotic yoghurts, great for upset tums.

I usually get this from Landywoods on the internet, or there is another place I may try and thats DAF Animal Feed. I've also found a place up here that will sell me 30/40 chicken carcasses for £7.00

6. Liteskye

Just had a quick look, and this is an interesting read. Many thanks to you for posting the link :D

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I'm starting to think that poodles go through fussy eating problems after reading your post Blitz.

Mika went through the same thing - wouldn't eat any mix we gave him. We finally found one he loves though and he's been eating it since we've been giving it to him so i'm no longer a worried mum - touch wood!

Buy Pedigree Small Bite Mixer Pedigree Adult

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Well, I bought some mince and microwaved it lightly so it had juices running out of it, mixed it with soaked complete food and she scoffed the lot in one go so maybe, just mabye, that will work!

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I would stop giving Candy weetabix and milk if I were you, dogs don't need cereals to survive and most dogs are lactose intolerant so the milk won't be doing her any good either, she really won't be getting any nutrition from either of them. How far up north are you :D.

Terri

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am as far north as you can get (virtually).

It is funny isnt it, years ago all pups were reared on mince and weetabix and milk and a lot of dogs carried on with household scraps and milk all their lives and had no allergies or weight problems and you never heard of fussy eaters. Farm dogs would often have milk as a large part of their diet.
    If your dog enjoys milk and it doesnt affect their stomach then what is wrong with giving them it. She has diluted milk by the way because she loves it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice