Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy eaters

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charity, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Don't they drive you mad. :Banghead

I'm always on the look out for new foods for my fussy madam and I noticed the other day that Lilys Kitchen have changed the ingredients in their food (no longer adding carageen which put me off buying it) and they have some new foods, one of which was fillets (Bunty's favourite type), tasty chunks and pate :D so I decided to order a few tins of each..

I know Toppy will eat anything and, true enough, he ate them all with relish. :D. Tried Bunty with fishy fillets as she's more likely to eat fish than chicken. She ate half, left the other half but then she never clears her plate ever. Next meal was chunks in gravy, licked all the gravy, left the chunks :mad: and lastly pate, ate most in about three sittings during the morning. Well, fairly promising I thought so decided I'd order some more of the fillets and pate which I did.

Yesterday, she hardly ate the fillets and this morning totally rejected the pate. Why do they wait to do this until you've placed another order? :mad::mad:

What's a girl to do? :Meh:Arghh

IMG_3106 (3).JPG

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Story of my life with Ollie!
    He even rejects favourite foods out of the blue:Arghh:Banghead

3. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

I’m also in this very frustrating club with Ebony & even with Alfie ‘sometimes’ :Arghh

Oh you get so excited when you dish up that first meal & they dig in with relish !!!!

DO NOT believe them!!!!
    They drag you into a false sense of security :Bawling

BUT what do we all do?
    We go ahead & buy more...... a lot more & then BANG...... the very next day they don’t eat it & never eat it again :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Bawling:Bawling:Bawling

#3 ebonycat, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    SbanR, Cully and Charity like this.
  4. Charity

It all sounds quite amusing when we put in on paper but the money wasted plus the worry they aren't then eating enough drives me mad. When I occasionally see Bunty's plate practically empty I could do a happy dance. :rolleyes: Just to rub salt in the wound, my second Lilys Kitchen order arrived this morning. :mad:

ewelsh likes this.
  5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

It's getting more worrying as I've noticed lately that everywhere seems to have less variety now. Tesco, the Range, P@H, ZP are my usual places for cat food but I'm struggling.
    ZP had only one of the Felix boxes Misty eats, and P@H had the other sort of Felix but the Gourmet Terrine I can only get from there is out of stock. Again! Tesco is a waste of space and sells very little variety now.
    When she refuses normally acceptable food she just gives a 'What's up?' look o_O. Then spends the next hour glaring at me. :Banghead

ebonycat and Charity like this.
  6. hiwatt

hiwatt PetForums Member

My boy is also really fussy.I've been experimenting with various wet foods to try and get him (hopefully) on an all wet diet but so far not much success.

He's on Iams dry at the moment (which he loves)and I supplement this with Encore fish selection but it's not a complete food only complimentary.

I've tried Lilys kitchen and a few other grain free high meat content wet foods and he just turns his nose up at it so struggling to find a decent quality wet food that he likes.

So any ideas for a fussy Ragdoll would be appreciated.
    P.s I've had a read at the health/nutrition thread and tried a few suggestions on there already.

Charity likes this.
  7. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Senior

My two are driving me nuts at the moment! I ended up down to two foods for my girls after Zooplus stopped stocking one of their favourites.

They were eating Animonda Vom Fiensten with no problems, clear bowls everytime. Few weeks ago they both decided that it was no longer tasty and they've progressively started leaving more and more.

I had some Rosie's farm which I have been slowly introducing, but they are being such fussy madams! Typically I'd just ordered £50+ worth of Animonda when they decided they no longer like it.

I may get a couple of the Lilys kitchen fillets and gravy chunks as I know my two love fishy fillets.

Annoyingly they'll devour Sheba Fine Flakes and would happily eat it for every meal if they could.

I share your frustrations :eek:

Charity likes this.
  8. Charity

The only ones Bunty will reliably eat are Canagan which is very expensive which is why I'm trying to find something cheaper, Thrive but only the Chicken and Turkey and Ocean Fish, and sometimes, if she's in a good mood, Sainsburys Delicious or PAH Seriously Good which are all a similar consistency.

9. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

As most of you know Bertie drives me to distraction over food ! Like most cats he will eat dry quite happily and some days, if it wasn't for the 5 -10 grams I do let him have, he wouldn't eat anything :( I've lost count of the number of different brands/textures/flavours I've tried - suffice to say that the waste food caddy in my kitchen is the recycling bin that gets used the most ! Plus I'm putting donated cat food into the cat rescue bin at my local Sainsburys on a regular basis (sometimes I think I'll just cut out the middle man and bung the new, unopened boxes straight into the bin before I leave the store :rolleyes:)

At the moment he will eat some of the flavours in Felix AGAIL - but only the 7+ ones ! And he will still eat some of Sainsburys own Complete Nutrition but again only the 7+ version and preferably the meat ones. But the Sainsburys one is chunks in jelly so I have to mash that right up or he'll just eat the jelly and leave the chunks ! Occasionally he'll deign to eat a pouch of Sheba Perfect Flakes. If it wasn't for Lick-e-Lix I doubt I'd get him to eat the equivalent of one pouch a day. I have found that if he goes "off" something if I put it away for a few weeks and then re-introduce it he will sometimes eat it with relish as if to say "where have you been hiding this Mum, it's really good" but then we're back to square one withing a couple of meals.

I've had many cats over the years and he's the first one that I've had this problem with - he only weights 3.30kg so he really could do with putting a little bit of weight on (even the vet agrees that it wouldn't hurt him to be about 50 grams heavier.

ewelsh, ebonycat, Cully and 1 other person like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Well a happy report from Beryl. That is about a month now since we gave up on wet food and returned to Acana dry.

Never looked back. Killings are down to nil. Not a single one. No more does Beryl greet me with strangulated cry every time i enter the kitchen. Now she is tucked up cozily snoozing in her bed.

I know dry food isnt ideal. But honestly i have so much rejected wet food in my cupboard, beryl has told me straight. She is not eating it.

Acana is the one. Happy beryl. Happy me. Happy mice. Happy birds.

11. Charity

That's good news @tabelmabel.:D In an ideal world where all cats did what we wanted it would be great if they all ate what we gave them but I don't think there's much use banging your head against a brick wall if cats just won't eat wet food. I have a friend who's cat is the same so she's been on dry food all her life now. The important thing is that they are eating and getting nutrients they should so if only dry does it then for a happy cat that has to be the way to go. I'm sure also the quality of dry food is a lot better, especially grain free, than it was years ago when dry was the 'in' thing.

ebonycat and tabelmabel like this.
  12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Acana is a good quality food but i dont think they make a wet variety at all. Pity. Beryl is 15 this year and has been on acana most of her life. She looks good at the moment but it will be interesting to see how her kidneys hold out.

My previous cat was dry fed and died at 16yrs. I never thought anything of it at the time as i thought 16 was just a natural life span.
    Do they live longer on wet food does anyone know?

13. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

@Cully is the the Gourmet salmon terrine that Misty needs? I saw some on my hunt for the right Sheba variety recently, would you like me to get you some and send it?

Fussy eaters? No, nobody like that here *ahem* :/

Cully, ewelsh and Charity like this.
  14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

No fussy eater for @Mrs Funkin as long as she gets round to roasting some chicken for Oscar Woo:p with a side dish of salmon:D

ebonycat and Mrs Funkin like this.
  15. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

How spooky... was just coming to write a post about Waffles. She is so so fussy with her food and it’s driving me a little insane! It’s not just that she is fussy- when she doesn’t eat the food I give her she turns hangry and takes it out on Jammy and their relationship is feeling really strained at the moment :(

never had such a fussy cat before... she won’t even eat trashy foods! Wish I could figure out what her food of choice is because it’s not thrive, canagan , Lily’s, smilla, hi life, nature’s menu, Sheba, felix, gourmet... the list goes on.

she will always eat wotsits tho...

ewelsh, Bethanjane22 and Charity like this.
  16. ebonycat

ebonycat PetForums VIP

When I think about all the different wet foods I’ve brought for them both to try, oh my gosh so much food. Especially the hunt for the ‘better’ quality wet foods, it kinda makes me sob a little inside :Arghh
    Now I have to constantly tell myself to try & stop from worrying.. ha yeh right!!
    They like what they like, some days they eat well, some days are harder (lick-e-lix is a gift from the cat gods).

Of all the ‘Learn X in six weeks’ books there’s never been a ‘Learn to speak cat in six weeks’ book......
    It would make life so much easier if there was :D

Charity likes this.
  17. Charity

That's like Bunty, if treats were food I'd have no trouble :rolleyes:

ebonycat and ewelsh like this.
  18. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Like ALL fussy eaters I suspect:rolleyes:
    If I were a millionaire Ollie could live on FD for his meals. But I can guarantee he'll soon tire of that too!

Charity likes this.
  19. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I have given up with Libby too, she only eats Canagan end of, I was sick and tired of buying this and that, hopes raised then slaps in the face. So now I just order her Canagan and hide the bank statements. Saying that, she will only eat the chicken and veg all day every day for weeks, then suddenly changes to chicken and ham for weeks...what an odd little girl she is.

Lottie like Toppy is a delight and eats everything, good, bad, odd mixtures and do you know, her coat is incredible.

20. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Jessie joins that delightful group of feline dustbins:)
    Sadly, I now have to exercise some care as she's developed a dodgy gut:(
    Just took a load of food to a small sanctuary near me.

Charity likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice