Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy eaters???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sar4h1, Aug 10, 2015.

1. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

I have a 12 month old British longhair/ Norwegian forest cat cross that has become very fussy with his food.

He eats a mix of a complete dry food with a little wet food twice a day, he will now only eat Cosma Thai chicken and liver pouches along with Purina Opti-start junior in chicken (dry food).

He has access to his dry food all day with wet food been given a little on a morning and the same on a night, he has now got to the age where we are trying to phase out his junior kitten biscuits and replace with an adult food. We have already tried several brands of adult food mixed in to his purina opti-start junior biscuit and he will not try them he just wants to eat the junior biscuit he has been eating since we got him.

Any suggestions of a complete dry cat food that has a small kibble size that he might try to get him on to adult food?

2. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

The only good dry foods I know of are thrive, porta 21 and applaws, I have noticed a new dry food in pets at home which had a good meat content I think it was called attu.

I have never fed dry so I cannot comment on biscuit size etc.

sar4h1 likes this.
  3. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

Thank you Vanessa131 i will check these out i will try anything to get a food that he will eat we have tried so many sample recently any nothing takes his fancy apart from the kitten food he is used to.

4. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Some companies will send you a sample if you email them, I have done this with a few wet foods so it is worth a try. On that note, forthglade sent me two samples, so maybe you could email them so you couls try him on their wet.

Bronn who recently turned one has started showing some fussiness with his food, I will generally leave his food down until he eats it, well same brand/flavour but if it has been down all day I will refresh it with the same food. The longest I would do it is a day and a half, so far Bronn has given in before me.

I have just had a look at the Cosma, as it is a complementary food it should be used as a treat, not a regular food as it isn't a balanced meal.

sar4h1 likes this.
  5. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

Thank you I will try this I have ordered a few sample packs of complete biscuits for him to try so we will see what he thinks.

I know that Cosma thai isn’t a complete food we only let him have a small amount each day alongside his purina pro plan biscuits which make up the bulk of his food. We have the same problem with wet foods it is the only one we have managed to get him to eat we have cans and pouches of various foods that just sit in the dish until I throw them away he doesn’t even try them it gets very frustrating.

Can you recommend any chicken foods that are complete? So far it’s all he will eat?

6. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Natures menu free range chicken pouches or chicken and turkey pouches, ropocat on happykittycompany also do a chicken food whichh is good quality. Then there is hilife poultry selection, I think others tend to be a mix of meats. Anyone else got any ideas?

sar4h1 likes this.
  7. Cammy

Cammy PetForums Member

Pets at Home Seriously Good do all chicken pouches....I think out of all the wet pouches they are Sarah's favourite.

sar4h1 likes this.
  8. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

How about thrive chicken and liver? Any one tried this.

I have quite the dilemma not only do I need to get him on to adult dry food (from his kitten biscuits) which he is resisting I have to get him eating a more varied wet diet which he is not a fan of at all!

9. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

om nom nom do a chicken wet food. does it have to be just chicken or will he go for chicken and turkey or chicken and duck etc?

sar4h1 likes this.
  10. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

I will have a look for that one, we have tried chicken and liver he will only eat certain brands though he wont eat chicken with any kind of fish and the turkey we have tried him on he has left not sure about duck though its not one ive come across.... im guessing he probably wont try it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice