Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy eater

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Izzy95, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Sorry for another food post, I found a diet that worked for Inky but in the last few weeks she’s got fussy with her wet food. She eats everything else and will eat the wet food if I give her a fish variety but she’ll leave any other flavour until she really has to eat it. I also feed her raw occasionally and I assume as it’s chicken she’s gone off that too. She seems fine and as I say everything else gets eaten quite quickly and she still meows for food but I really want her to enjoy her food and it makes me sad, I’m not sure what to do. Can she have fish flavour food every day? She’s fed thrive and the raw food is true instinct. I’ve been told to just leave the food down and she’ll eat it, she won’t starve and I know that but I really want her to enjoy her food not just eat it because she’s hungry.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

When you say "fish variety" do you mean the food contains some meat with it (as some recipes do) or is it pure fish? If it is pure fish then I wouldn't feed her only that, because cats need meat in their diets.

But if you are referring to the True Instinct Raw Bites, Turkey and Salmon flavour then I would say it'd be Ok to give her that 2 or 3 times a week, but not every day.

Cats are usually happier with a variety of different foods in their diets. It makes them less faddy if they don't have to eat the same thing day after day. If you feed her just one type of food the risk is that after a few weeks she'll start refusing that food too.

If you can manage to introduce a variety of meats to her diet, e.g. turkey, lamb, pork, rabbit, and beef it will be healthier for her.

If is Thrive Complete you are feeding her, I would not feed it more than once or twice a week. The makers claim it is complete but have confirmed to me in email that it contains no supplements of e.g. calcium or taurine, so I am not convinced it is a complete food.

3. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

Hi yes it is thrive, I don’t understand how they can say it’s complete if it isn’t? She likes shredded meat type foods, I’ve looked at canagan and almo but they only seem to do chicken or fish varieties too and she’s a bit fussy with them as well. Should I just be a mix of different brands and just leave it down and not give in? Should I stick with the texture she likes or change that up too?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Izzy95 - it is never worth it IME, getting into a battle over food with one's cat. All it might do is cause the cat to become more stubborn, and the owner to become more frustrated. Too stressful for all concerned!

If the only texture of food she will eat is shredded then you're really limited to chicken and fish, as those are the only flavours I have ever seen.

As I recall Inky is 9 yrs old? So a bit late in her life to start trying to get her to change her taste in preferred texture. I think you will have to accept it and work with it. What about budget shredded foods such as Felix AGAIL? Not the best quality I know, but at least you would be able to introduce some more flavours into her diet to stop her getting faddy. And at least Felix has all the right vitamins and minerals for a cat.

Does she like the True Instinct Raw Bites Turkey and Salmon recipe? Have you tried her with other types of raw meat?

Or how about cooked meats? Turkey thigh or cooked lamb chunks? You could shred the meat yourself when it's cooked. Especially if you cook it in a slow cooker, it goes soft and easy to shred.

If plain raw or cooked meat becomes a regular part of her diet you'd need to add a supplement - a completer - suitable for adding to cooked or raw meat, e.g. Felini Complete.

The makers of Thrive told me their Complete foods have all the minerals and vitamins a cat needs in their diet, and therefore they do not add any supplements. They did not accept my insistence that they need to at least add calcium and taurine. So either they are failing to declare some of their ingredients or they are deluding themselves. I don't feel I can trust them as they are not being fully transparent.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice