Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Fussy Eater

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lubyloo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

Any advice on how to stop my cat being so fussy with her food?

My rescue cat Lily was eating a mix of wet and dry food. Wet food usually a cheaper supermarket brand (which she initially loved and preferred over expensive brands) and dry food (usually GoCat crunchy and tender).

We use a sureflap bowl in order to keep her food fresh during the day.

However, we’ve begun to notice she will eat her dry food and is barely touching her wet food. I don’t want her to eat a 100% dry diet, so we tried her on a new brand of wet food (Whiskas) and limited her dry food to a small amount at bed time. This has worked for a short time as during the day she only has her wet food to eat and hunger usually sets in.

Today however, she has not eaten all day, to the point I was worried she was ill so gave her some dry food which she wolfed down. I was fooled by her!

I’m at my wits end because I don’t want her to go hungry and don’t want to waste lots of food either. Do I persevere and stop giving her dry food for a while?

I know she doesn’t eat the best quality cat food, but she prefers cheaper food.

Picture of the little monster attached...

Thank you x

Attached Files:

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

You can try grinding some pieces of the dry food and sprinkling them over the wet as appetiser.

lubyloo and Summercat like this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Love her big eyes:Cat

Gocat as I understand is not the best quality dry, dry in general is not healthy for cats.
    I would try sprinkling as @ChaosCat said or offering smaller portions of dry gradually over time and more wet.
    If you look on Zooplus, you may be able to get trial packs of various cat foods.

I usually have had when introducing new foods, to offer a few times as my boy will sniff and walk away. After he gets familiar he will usually eat them. Cats may prefer different consistencies such as chucks in gravy, shredded or pate.

Toppers as well to induce eating wet:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrive-ProTaste-Chicken-Food-Topper/dp/B01COY6Y5Y

The trouble with dry is an animal flavoring is added that cats love and that is why many get addicted to dry.

lubyloo likes this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Lily is training you beautifully to give her dry. Personally, I would go cold turkey n get rid of ALL the dry completely, remove it from the house or you could well crumble n give in.
    You have a sureflap feeder, so the food stays fresh. You've found that she will eat when she's hungry. Be strong n outlast her!!
    (I've found that with my girl. Not as regards dry as she's used to only having it as a treat but she was becoming fussy over food. So I took the attitude of eat or go hungry. She knuckled down and now eats whatever I put down, even varieties that she's not too keen on)

lubyloo, ChaosCat and chillminx like this.
  5. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

I don't have a solution as mine are exactly the same, I tried the eat it or starve attitude but after 2 days not eating it was me that gave in!

lubyloo likes this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Jessie does like her food, especially so now I'm strictly controlling portion size. She's a tad on the generous size, from the days when I was anxious for her to eat and kept food always available

lubyloo likes this.
  7. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

I will try this thank you x

8. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

That’s a fab idea for a topper, I did have a look in pets at home but didn’t find anything. Think this will be purchased. Thank you x

Summercat likes this.
  9. lubyloo

lubyloo PetForums Junior

It’s the being strong I struggle with haha. I will persevere!

I’m too soft as well.

We are having a little more success. The night before last we didn’t give her any dry as she had barely touched her wet food. By morning time most had gone so she must have been hungry.

Yesterday she ate pretty much all of her wet food so we gave her a small amount of dry as a treat.

Are there any wet foods which are budget friendly which you would recommend? At the moment she is on Whiskas, she prefers the basic Whiskas to the casserole version I bought her. She had previously been on a supermarket brand before that and I did try more expensive brands to no avail. I know that dry isn’t the best, but she does like it and dry is meant to be good for their teeth isn’t it? Didn’t know whether a small portion of a good quality dry brand would be something to consider as well?

At the moment she in indoors. It’s a year this week since I lost my ginger boy to dangers outside and she will be indoors until we cat proof the garden next year. Would like her to be on a good diet for her indoor life as well. It’s the first time I’ve had an indoor cat and your advice is most welcomed.

Pic attached is Lily having her daily chats with next door’s Bengal cross, who torments her daily from our garden... (Love my flat cats screen!)

Attached Files:

10. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

I have no advice, I'm just sharing your pain @lubyloo :) . I have a few minutes ago posted that I give in with trying to get Oscar onto better food. I'm over fighting (currently, at least) and so will stick with the Whiskas and Felix (he doesn't like the posher versions either, so no casserole or AGAIL here!). He's had goodness knows what for the 11 years before we adopted him and the better foods I try to give him just don't agree with him - or he's really really clever and when I give him something else he regurgitates it now, so I am well and truly wrapped around his paws. He does love gravy - so he has almost all wet food, so even if it's rubbish, at least it's wet which is better for him as an older male cat.

Oh if only we had adopted a non-fussy cat. I was this morning feeling all smug and pleased he hadn't regurgitated. Pride comes before a fall and all that...

I have seen that the ground up dry food has been well received by lots of cats it's been tried with on the forum, so definitely worth a go. Good luck getting Lily off the dry :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice