Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fussy dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Teddybeardoggo, May 9, 2019.

1. Teddybeardoggo

Teddybeardoggo PetForums Newbie

I have tried feeding my dog very high quality food such as Origen (original and red regionals), Aatu, tribal TLC and medium tier foods such as science hill diet and even tried natures diet raw nuggets but he just will not eat it unless I add some treats or feed him by hand chasing him around little by little. I have even tried human cooked food eg mix of chicken, rice and broccoli or beef, sweet potato and carrots but I still can’t find a good quality food that he will eat by himself. If I leave it there for him and pick it up after 30 minutes and continue trying he just won’t eat and starves himself for days. Then I gave him some bakers complete (I know it is very bad and like McDonald’s for kids) but he woofs it down and it’s the only thing that he will eat without me chasing him around or having to add treats to the meal. Can anyone recommend me a higher quality food that he will eat by himself? Or should I stick or bakers or hi - life. Any idea whether the hi life is okay? Or would it cause cancer and skin or other problems as it has wheat, sugar and salt in it?

Hi-Life ingredient list:
    Meat Meals (24%, including Turkey 4%, Bacon 0.1%), Wheat Bran, Wholegrain Wheat, Chicken (9%), Vegetable Glycerine, Poultry Fat, Sugar, Dried Garden Vegetables (1.1%), Meat Stock, Salt, Minerals, Chicory Extract, Yeast Extract

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you tried Chappie wet in cans?

It has strong smells which some dogs find very tempting and whilst not the highest quality food is often recommended for dogs with sensitive tums or skin?

A few members dogs who have been fussy feeders have done well on it.

It’s a good price and readily available in most supermarkets.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

I have a very fussy dog that will starve himself if he doesn't like a food and he will not touch dry food,
    but he will eat James Wellbeloved wet food pouches
    No artificial colouring, flavours or preservatives,No Soya , wheat, dairy or eggs..
    It is also classed as hypoallergenic
    Price wise I think it is probably a mid range food

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Maybe mixing something smelly (like Chappie) with his dry food to coat it might help.

Bugsys grandma, Lurcherlad and Torin. like this.
  5. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

I reckon if you have found a food he likes stick to it. IMO Why is Bakers so bad? Can you not supplement it with bits of good quality treats and extras so that he is getting extra nourishment too.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Instead of giving him his food in a bowl have you tried feeding him from a food toy / puzzle? There’s lots of different ones on the market.

7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My Sally was a fussy eater but to be honest we make fussy eaters,I consulted my vet about her being so fussy she would go a few days without eating the vet told me a dog can go up to 8 days without food she got to 5 days without eating she was offered her food and nothing else,she would go through these phases every couple of months but I would never give in and offer anything other than her normal food,I know it sounds harsh but it worked for me:)

wee man likes this.
  8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

We all love our puppies and being tough can be difficult, but it is for the best eventually.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice