Fuschia Gall Mite

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Paddypaws, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Am gutted to have just found one of my plants to be showing signs of this nasty pest.
    I have quite a lot of fuchsias including several well established bush varieties and have been checking them since I first read about this mite a few weeks ago.
    I have pruned that particular plant back quite hard and disposed of the cuttings carefully so i am really hoping it wont spread all round my garden.

#1 Paddypaws, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd never heard of it. I have a number of Fuchsias and haven't seen any signs so far.

Hopefully, your heavy pruning will stop it spreading.

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Apparently it is really hard to control as the mites are resistant to most insecticides
    ( and apparently I can't spell the word Fuchsia either! )

Charity and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I only remember because I say it in my head like a rude word :Jawdrop then add sia on the end! :D

5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ive not heard of this either, The are beautiful plants and I know how to pronounce the name properly and not in a rude way !

[​IMG]

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I hadn't heard of this either, although had heard of Galls on oak trees caused by gall wasps, remember those from field study trips as a kid.

Had a look out of curiosity on the RHS website it seems that it hadn't been heard of in mainland Britain until 2007 which is why its probably not something people are familiar with. My Mums got a lot of fuchsias in pots and in the garden will tell her to check them regulalrly.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=512

7. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I had to cut one right back a few weeks ago because of gall mite. It was a lovely big bush that has been in the garden since we moved in 20 years ago so I'm very sad to have lost it. All my others seem ok at the moment.

kimthecat and Paddypaws like this.
  8. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

They do come away from the harshest pruning so hopefully your sacrifice of this year's blooms will allow you to enjoy it mite free next year.

wind1, Sled dog hotel and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I hope it will, but it will take a long time to get back to the size it was.

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Hardy fuchsias should really be cut almost to the ground every year. This year I never got round to cutting down my Magellanica 'Alba' and it has taken over my front garden. It is so tall and wide that I have taken the opportunity to cut all the shrubs behind it that form the boundary to the garden because I still have a complete screen.

11. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I have a large one in a pot and I never cut it back by more than about 6" yet it flowers its heart out every year. I've never heard of the gall mite either.

12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Whilst I normally enjoy the late blooms of my garden fuchsia, I just bit the bullet and cut the affected bush right back hard and quickly disposed of the cuttings. Despite my earlier and ongoing pruning of affected branches, the gall mite continued to thrive and deform more and more of the greenery.
    I am going to do a very careful garden clean this winter and hope that i manage to get rid of the pest, but don't feel very confident in my chances.